It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 2:35 am

British thread

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Re: British thread

Postby PorkChop » Jun 03, '17, 5:47 am

I'm having some real trouble with landlords recently. There's some real dodgy ones in London.

I'm set to start a new job next week in north London. I'm currently in south London and would prefer somewhere closer to work, so I don't have to sit on the tube for 50 minutes twice a day.

I went to see a studio yesterday which was great, all bills included, within my budget and only about a 15 minute walk from my new workplace. I was ready to put a deposit on it, until the landlord told me he doesn't use a deposit protection scheme, despite this being a legal requirement for all landlords. I emailed him saying that I was interested in the property, but I'd only put down a deposit if he could guarantee that it would be registered with a protection scheme. He basically just said that there are several other people interested in the property and that our conversation would go no further.

I don't really understand what his issue is, because deposit protection schemes protect landlords too. If a landlord doesn't use a deposit protection scheme, the county courts can order them to pay their tenant up to 3 times the cost of their deposit.

I don't know what this guy's problem was, but by the sounds of things he's looking for someone who's a bit more likely to waive their rights. I'm half disappointed, half relieved, and completely baffled.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Jun 03, '17, 9:43 am

PorkChop wrote:I'm having some real trouble with landlords recently. There's some real dodgy ones in London.

I'm set to start a new job next week in north London. I'm currently in south London and would prefer somewhere closer to work, so I don't have to sit on the tube for 50 minutes twice a day.

I went to see a studio yesterday which was great, all bills included, within my budget and only about a 15 minute walk from my new workplace. I was ready to put a deposit on it, until the landlord told me he doesn't use a deposit protection scheme, despite this being a legal requirement for all landlords. I emailed him saying that I was interested in the property, but I'd only put down a deposit if he could guarantee that it would be registered with a protection scheme. He basically just said that there are several other people interested in the property and that our conversation would go no further.

I don't really understand what his issue is, because deposit protection schemes protect landlords too. If a landlord doesn't use a deposit protection scheme, the county courts can order them to pay their tenant up to 3 times the cost of their deposit.

I don't know what this guy's problem was, but by the sounds of things he's looking for someone who's a bit more likely to waive their rights. I'm half disappointed, half relieved, and completely baffled.

Seems shady to me. As convenient as the place sounds, you're probably better off in the long run not having to deal with a landlord like that.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby Viazon » Jun 03, '17, 10:17 am

If the scheme protects landlords too, then what would he gain from not going along with it? And if it is a legal requirement, then isn't there someone you can report him to?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby PorkChop » Jun 03, '17, 10:55 am

It's a weird one. The guy seemed fairly sound when I met him, and I've met some right snakes over the past few weeks. He owns the house and lives on the ground floor. He seemed to take a lot of pride in the house as it was in absolutely mint condition and he had quite strict criteria which potential tenants had to meet before he offered them a viewing, such as a minimum age and salary, must have lived in the UK for 5+ years, must stay a minimum of 12 months, must provide 2 references, and a couple of other quite specific things. He clearly didn't want just anybody renting his property, and considering he lives there, I'm sympathetic with that to an extent.

When we were discussing paying the deposit, I asked whether he uses the deposit protection scheme, to which he said no. I was a bit concerned, and he asked if this was a deal breaker for me. I said it was the law, and he said in that case, he'd register my deposit with a protection scheme.

I wanted this in writing from him, so I emailed him when I got home and sent him a link to the gov.uk website (https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection) which puts it in plain text that he has to register my deposit with a protection scheme, and I said that if I am to pay a deposit, I expect to have it registered. He ignored this request and just said that he'll no longer be requiring any paperwork from me, because he's received a few requests and has viewings booked in for next week. He then wished me luck with finding a place to live, which basically confirmed that he's not interested in offering this place to me.

For someone who sought such high standards from tenants, I'd expect him to hold himself to those same standards as a landlord and actually do what he's legally required to do. I'm a bit pissed off as the place was absolutely fantastic, but now I'm back to square one because the landlord refuses to abide by the law.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jun 13, '17, 12:25 pm

My wisdom teeth have decided to swell up, so the dentist prescribed me antibiotics to sort it out.

One of the side effects of these antibiotics, metronidazole, is double vision and pain in the eyes. Allegedly this happens to less than 1 in 10,000 people.

Guess who won that lottery?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 14, '17, 4:17 am

^My wisdom tooth has been long gone, hopefully antibiotics does the trick but will be surprised if it doesn't lead to it coming out. Luckily, I had antibiotics with a dental issue that resulted in root canal treatment and must have been one of the ones, not to have been suffering from its effects!

I would say rest up but the warm weather might not help to do that..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 16, '17, 3:43 am

Hayfever fucking sucks - not much can be done but this year seems to be affecting sufferers more prolonged than before. Mine, normally, fizzles out after an attack of it. Last thing needed when I'm fasting..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 21, '17, 12:40 pm

I feel in abit of a pickle at work, primarily in that I'm stuck in the middle of on-going disputes between two colleagues who don't particularly like each on a professional level (even personally, maybe)

One of my colleagues is someone who I respect both personally and professionally. She has been a major help to me since I started work at this place and we get on well.

Recently we had a new dude join the team who had worked with my colleague before. Safe to say, he didn't come with a glowing reputation but on a personal level, I get on well with him whilst in a work environment, there's mutual cooperation as you would expect in a small team.

Due to their previous history, they end up butting heads regularly​. Not a loud slanging match but they both challenge each other's views professionally.

What tends to happen is when the other person is not around then they tend to come to me to unload that tension which I don't mind if it helps them. My colleague who I've known longer I feel a stronger sense of loyalty to rather than the guy who started a few months ago. He's been very critical, bordering on sneery, on my colleague and his perceived professional limitations and I've tried to challenge him by addressing ways he can contribute on the aforementioned weaknesses TV of my colleague.

Of course I haven't told my colleague about the comments as that causes needless friction but I feel like I'm letting down my friend by not defending her vociferously enough or am I best to listen, make few points on her behalf and let that dude just go on and on?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Jun 21, '17, 2:30 pm

It sounds like you're probably doing the right thing at the moment. Let him sound off a little, and try and convince him that he's being unfair on her. Or challenge his views when you think he's wrong in general. But it really depends on how out of line he's getting with his comments.

There's always going to be a bit of grumbling about other people's performances in the workplace. But if the comments are getting really nasty, you could always just tell him that you're not comfortable with the way he's talking about your friend and would prefer that he doesn't come to you with these comments in the future.

If it's just a bit of moaning though, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby PorkChop » Jun 26, '17, 3:04 am

Last month, I almost moved in to those flats in Camden which are being evacuated currently. Dodged a bullet there.

In other news, I stole some Cillit Bang off my housemate (he's a bellend, so it's okay) and the stuff is incredible. My keys are so shiny. What an experience.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby prophet » Jun 26, '17, 1:47 pm

I'm fresh back from Glastonbury. I've not washed (other than baby wipes, I love you baby wipes) since last Tuesday and I've barely slept since then...but what a week. If you ever get chance to experience it I emplore you to do so. Fucking knackered.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Jul 05, '17, 10:38 am

Trains in this country are a fucking state, Jesus Christ.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 05, '17, 2:29 pm

Amazing how difficult it's these days to turn off the heating in a train on a sweltering day..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 06, '17, 10:29 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Amazing how difficult it's these days to turn off the heating in a train on a sweltering day..

My gran's having a similar problem, her radiator broke and her cheapskate landlord put in some tiny little retention heater. Theoretically the thing is cheaper to use but it relies on warming up overnight to have heating during the day. So if it's hotter or colder than she expected it to be she's got no way to really change the heat in any practical amount of time. Was in there to get a bag fixed last week and it was bloody sweltering.

Maybe the trains use one of those things :P

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 06, '17, 12:02 pm

Add to the warm weather, fucking mosquito bites. Must like the sip of my blood..

Anyhow..

I had a refresher lesson today after a long spell (2013) not driving for various reasons (anxiety, lacking confidence) and one of my areas to improve on is bigger roundabouts.

I get a tad nervous and find waiting, going for the right gap, then changing gears, turning the wheel to go round is when the car stutters and it's not fluent.

I've realised maybe I should slow down slowly, in the hope it helps but I just find it tricky.

Secondly, is it just in a learner car that doing 30mph seems slow?! I felt I was slowing others even though the limit is to be adhered by all.

We did a few manuveres: turn in road was fairly simple, reverse round a corner I misjudged the turning, reverse park I did well but I still feel I'm not trusting my mirrors. If my instructor wasn't there I felt I'd have struggled more.. maybe I'd not set them up clearly for me.

Appreciate any pointers

Thanks!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 06, '17, 1:28 pm

PorkChop wrote:Trains in this country are a fucking state, Jesus Christ.

Which state? Hopefully Delaware or Rhode Island, otherwise that's way too big of a train to fit in your country.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby PorkChop » Jul 08, '17, 1:38 pm

I've been following the boxing on Spike and Channel 5. It's mostly just a bunch of over-the-hill bums and untested prospects, but it's decent entertainment. It would be nice if they didn't show a Maximuscle advert every 3 seconds though.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jul 09, '17, 10:28 am

FWIW, here's a free course from the College of Policing about safeguarding and counter-terrorism. It's pretty easy, takes about 20 minutes to complete and you get a free certificate at the end.

http://course.ncalt.com/Channel_General ... index.html

Particularly handy if you deal with the general public or work with kids.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jul 16, '17, 12:42 pm

With these acid attacks going on, I've decided I'm going to arm myself with a vial of acid for my protection. After all, the only thing that can stop a bad guy with acid is a good guy with acid. If we all carried acid, society would be much safer. Remember, if you criminalise acid, only criminals will carry it. Is that what you really want?

I might 'open carry' my acid in places like supermarkets and shopping centres just to make sure that everybody knows I've got some. I've also become a member of the National Acid Association.

The government will never disarm me of my acid. They can prey it from my cold, lifeless hands.

Long live the Queen.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 30, '17, 2:08 pm

If you do have a car, which one do you have?

I've taken some refresher lessons after 4 years and given myself a budget of 1000-1500 for a car that's reliable. I've narrowed it down (in terms of manufacturers) to Toyota (Yaris), Honda (Civic Sport), Volkswagen (Polo) and Audi.

I'm no car expert in the slightest so trying to research which would be best. I've taken a liking to a Honda Civic Sport (with the kinda Batmobile shape) but suspension isn't great apparently. Polo seem to be recommended and Yaris as well. Audi and Skoda (Fabia - any good?)

Any tips appreciated!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub