It is currently: May 22, '24, 11:17 pm

did your parents ever sacrifice anything for you or your siblings?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

did your parents ever sacrifice anything for you or your siblings?

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 08, '14, 11:34 pm

Thought this would be an interesting topic.

Parents often sacrifice things for their children whether it be the purchase of luxury items or free time or anything else. What meaningful thing have your parents sacrificed for you or your sibling that you know of? For those of you with children, what have you sacrificed for them?

I found out about 2 years ago from my dad that he had to sell a Harley Davidson and a fully restored model A ford when my sister was born because he got laid off and had no medical insurance, then years later when I was 2 and my sister was 5 he turned down a 6 figure job for Lockheed Martin working as a machinist in their research and development department because my mom worked full time and the job was nights and about 3 hours one way from where we lived so he would never be home for us. (I should mention that he was still jobless at this time because he wanted to be a stay at home dad)

I also found out that while my mom was pregnant with me she turned down a development deal from a Nashville recording company because she did not want to be away from her kids and if she did make it big she did not want that kind of life for her kids.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 98

Re: did your parents ever sacrifice anything for you or your siblings?

Postby Ace » Feb 09, '14, 1:38 am

My mother has sacrificed & continues to sacrifice money. She sacrificed it to put us through private school to get a better education, on top of all other bills she had to pay. This was even more difficult due to the fact that my parents divorced even before we started private school & she has not received any financial support from since they split.

Ace Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 35
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Settee » Feb 09, '14, 1:52 am

Absolutely, although I don't know of anything as big as you WCV. I know that my parents have, but my guess is they don't wanna tell me and make me feel guilty.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby PorkChop » Feb 09, '14, 7:43 am

A happy and fulfilling life

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Viazon » Feb 09, '14, 8:01 am

I remember once when we ordered a lot of take out food. They had mixed it up and put mayonnaise on my kebab instead of chili sauce, like I wanted. My dad also wanted chili sauce and they had his correct. Rather than going through the hassle of calling the place and having them send out the correct food I wanted, my dad took my mayonnaise covered kebab and let me have his one.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 09, '14, 8:57 am

Ace wrote:My mother has sacrificed & continues to sacrifice money. She sacrificed it to put us through private school to get a better education, on top of all other bills she had to pay. This was even more difficult due to the fact that my parents divorced even before we started private school & she has not received any financial support from since they split.

In all honesty I don't think my dad would have told me this is he was not drunk and it was not the anniversary of my mothers passing (every year I have to go to his house on the day my mom passed because he gets extremely depressed and shit face drunk)

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 98

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Feb 09, '14, 9:22 am

My Mum sacrificed not giving me a well deserved smack whenever I had a mardy arsed tantrum because my breakfast wasn't right/or the home cooked chips she made for my lunch weren't ready when I got home from lunch and I had a strop and stormed. I was lucky she didn't give me a smack or two - I deserved it.

But regrets, at the age of 27, for even behaving like that in the first place.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to The Pub