It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:35 pm

A work colleague of mine died yesterday.

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

A work colleague of mine died yesterday.

Postby Viazon » Mar 20, '18, 11:54 am

I'm really upset about it. It's really weird because I have never experience someone close to me dying before. My grandparents died when I was really young. Before I can remember. My other grandparents lived in Italy so I never really knew them. This is the first time I have lost someone I really considered a friend.

It's so bizarre. I was talking to him on Friday before I left to go home. I told him to have a good weekend. I'm still in shock. We found out at work yesterday. Jesus, the atmosphere all day was so grim. I know this sounds like a cliche thing to say after someone dies, but everyone loved him. Just a friendly guy who loved to talk and joke around with everyone. If there is one guy in the whole warehouse whose death would affect everyone, it's him. It was impossible to dislike him. Everyone was devastated. The department he worked in closed for the day and everyone else on his team were allowed to go home for the day. A few other people who were really upset went home for the day. Everyone else just on autopilot the whole day. Just drifting past each other, not saying a word.

Work will not be the same. When I first started working there, we were part of the same department. He made me, a chronic introvert, feel welcome from day one. Since then, we have both moved on to other departments. At the end of an aisle in the corner of the warehouse, there is a caged area, as some things need to be locked away. This was basically his work area. My work entails to enter this caged area very often. So even though we are in different departments now, we still would work closely together almost every day. As we often didn't have enough equipment, we would share and work together with each others work. I have very few close friends in my life. And there are very few people I know that I feel like I can completely be myself around. Although he was just a work friend, he was so easy going that he was one of these people I could just be myself around. I had to go to that caged area today and it was weird him not being there.

This was just so out of the blue. He was only in his 40's and had 3 young children at home. Some of you may have heard about the business I am trying to start with my friend. He was completely encouraging of the whole idea, saying how he was looking forward to bringing his kids there when it opens. It truly is the good ones that go.

Anyway, I know I don't post here much but I just felt like getting some thoughts off my chest and I know no better place to do it than on here.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: A work colleague of mine died yesterday.

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 21, '18, 1:55 pm

Wish you all the best at this difficult time mate. I hope your workplace are offering you all support through this period. Just remember the wise words he gave you to set up your business and use it as inspiration to go all the way.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby VaderBomb » Mar 22, '18, 9:46 am

Very sorry for your loss. Hang in there, bud.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby PorkChop » Mar 28, '18, 3:24 pm

I understand how you feel. I fortunately haven't lost anyone particularly close to me to date, although recently I also lost somebody I greatly respect.

She was a former teacher of mine, who took it upon herself to turn my life around. In college I was a bit of a waster, and she put me on the right track in life. I've since managed to make something half-decent of myself, which comes directly as a result of her intervention.

My mum knew her distantly, and once I'd left college, occasionally she would send a Facebook message to my mum asking how I was. She seemed to genuinely care about me and how I was getting along. The last time they spoke, my mum mentioned that I was doing okay and that she was grateful for everything she'd done for me.

She died a few weeks ago from cancer. She was 35, and had two kids, 9 and 5. I hadn't spoken to her directly in years, but her death has still shaken me a fair bit. She had so much to give to the world and left us far too soon.

Before her death I was tempted to reach out and send her a personal thankyou, but I was afraid that the tone would seem a bit macabre considering her illness. I spent a while going back and forth over the idea, then I heard that she'd passed. I regret that, now.

I can never thank her enough. I think a person has lived a successful life if they positively change the lives of others - even if it's just one person. I'd be the first to say that one person is me. I hope that she knew.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Return to The Pub