It is currently: May 11, '24, 2:44 am

What are your favorite internet memories?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

What are your favorite internet memories?

Postby Everlong » Feb 24, '17, 11:11 pm

I've been going through some old files tonight and reliving old WWE-Club memories, but there are plenty of great internet times from my teenage years and early college that stick out... like convincing everyone in the CBS.com Survivor chat when I was like 13 that I was a 23-year old teacher :lol

When do you think was the peak of the internet for you growing up? Favorite memories that stick out?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: What are your favorite internet memories?

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 25, '17, 9:10 am

Besides the obvious ones like WWE-Club, I was one of those people who made a bunch of those cheesy Expage and Geocities websites in the very early 00s. Most of them had to do with either wrestling or horror movies. I specifically remember making one called the Top 100 Monsters, where I ranked my favorite movie villains and killers. :lol

Eventually I made a couple of Tripod websites, one was comedy articles that I'd written, another was dedicated to sled trails in the woods in my back yard. There's still one up on line, and it's pretty silly. I made a fan site for the sitcom Cheers and used a ton of content from other sites. I apparently did a decent job at compiling the stolen material because not only is the site still in existence but for a couple of years I was listed as a link on the official Cheers Boston website. I remember even going into the city for the 20th anniversary of Cheers and I still have the T-shirt that I bought. I also have a bunch of photos from that day. Legit pictures of me with braces, posing next to Sam Malone's fake Red Sox jersey. None of those photos are on the website but it's still undeniably goofy that I ever did that shit.

Here's the link if anybody wants to see how lame I was when I was in middle school. Yes, that is in fact my first and last name and the year that I created it in the URL. So fucking goofy.

http://marcleitner2002.tripod.com/

Oh, and I still love Cheers by the way.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Feb 25, '17, 3:01 pm

MSN chatrooms. These were the thing to do when I was around 12/13, they had loads IIRC and it's a communication method that's drifted into obscurity but there was something exciting about starting a conversation wtih someone, who could be on the other side of the world, with the first opening lines of "Hi, how are you? A/S/L?" :lol

But obviously WWE Club was a major part of my internet experiences, writing the SIM federation was amazing fun and enjoyment.

Other than that, having a piece I wrote as a 16-year-old for a football competition on the BBC website was cool, especially to win a few prizes. That was the dream....

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby The Legend » Feb 25, '17, 5:07 pm

One of my favorites was not too long ago. One night I come home from work and the entire Twitter universe was going crazy for this thing called Sharknado. I had no idea it was a movie or anything about it. That was a cool moment that showed while the traditional water cooler moment of everyone watching the same thing and then talking about it the next day had totally changed.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Feb 26, '17, 4:38 pm

WWE-Club will always be one of my favourite internet memories. The personalities, the scandals, everything. I joined the club quite late (2010) but I was lucky enough to see some of the best scandals go down and shitpost with some of the best people.

MSN Messenger. Skype, or any other messaging platform, will never capture the magic that MSN had. I miss logging in and seeing a whole list of people online.

Myspace, for similar reasons. It was my first social media page. Facebook and Twitter are much better but it was great back in the day.

Habbo Hotel. One of my mates got laid through Habbo thanks to me. When we were about 13, he was telling me how he struggled talking to girls, so I told him to go on Habbo and get talking to randoms on there. He took my advice one night, met a girl on there, and now he lives with her in real life. I don't mess about when it comes to wingman duties.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby KaiserGlider » Feb 26, '17, 5:37 pm

Too many to list, here's the more relatable ones off the top of me head:

- All the great and heated wrestling debates over the years on here and on WWE-Club
- Discovering Youtube when it started rising around 2006 or so and the classic videos from that time
- The fallout from Wrestlemania 30 and that year's Rumble
- WCSF/PCW
- The Fappening

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 26, '17, 11:31 pm

You bastards can't ignore my Cheers site forever.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby PorkChop » Feb 27, '17, 3:14 am

KaiserGlider wrote:The Fappening

Probably the biggest scandal to go down on the internet ever, excluding Londonite of course.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Everlong » Feb 27, '17, 2:33 pm

PorkChop wrote:
KaiserGlider wrote:The Fappening

Probably the biggest scandal to go down on the internet ever, excluding Londonite of course.

Holy shit, I can't believe I forgot about the fappening already. Still incredible to me that that actually happened... and then that somehow Jennifer Lawrence got blame/hated for having her nudes leaked :lol

Fuckin' misogyny man.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Feb 27, '17, 2:47 pm

VaderBomb wrote:You bastards can't ignore my Cheers site forever.

I thought it was very nice.

That old obnoxious Geocities trick of having a song play as soon as you land on the page was a particularly nice touch. :lol I remember making sites like those way back when.

P.S. Frasier is still better.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Feb 27, '17, 3:21 pm

VaderBomb wrote:You bastards can't ignore my Cheers site forever.

I just now checked it out and... holy shit... it's everything about that era of the internet :lol

Auto playing music, bad image format and background... just beautiful!

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Feb 27, '17, 3:48 pm

My fondest memories were just the very early days where I would go on random chat rooms and just chat with random people. Also talking to my friends on MSN. I don't even know if there are any good active chat rooms these days.

I remember I used to love and cherish going on the internet as it wasn't like it was now. My mum would only let me go on a certain amount of time. Now, I'm typing this while sitting on my toilet and it's just like, whatever. I kind of miss the amazement and excitement of it all.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Return to The Pub