It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 12:40 pm

Which celebrities will die this year?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Which celebrities will die this year?

Postby Everlong » Jan 02, '17, 9:40 am

Sure, it might be a bit morbid, but place your bets now.

There will be ones that wouldn't surprise anybody, like Kirk Douglas, Betty White, etc. But who are going to be the ones that shock people?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Which celebrities will die this year?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 02, '17, 10:37 am

What a positive thought to start the year!

I really don't have a clue. As 2016 seemed an unprecedented year for deaths, think it'll be a quiet year.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby KaiserGlider » Jan 02, '17, 11:42 am

Donald Trump.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby prophet » Jan 02, '17, 12:06 pm

What's more morbid is that at work we have an actual dead pool where you pay a pound for a celebrity every month and if they die you win whatever is in the pot. Only catch is you can't have someone with ill health or a mental issues. Someone had Zsa Zsa Gabor and won £240 the bastards. I have Robert Mugabe and Kirk Douglas. So hopefully they die. (I'm an awful person)

On a different note I fully expect this to be the year that Gazza passes away. It'll be sad, tragic and not all surprising.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Jan 02, '17, 12:41 pm

prophet wrote:On a different note I fully expect this to be the year that Gazza passes away. It'll be sad, tragic and not all surprising.

I'm surprised he's lasted this long to be honest. I've been expecting him to die each year for the past 5 years.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Everlong » Jan 02, '17, 12:50 pm

prophet wrote:On a different note I fully expect this to be the year that Gazza passes away. It'll be sad, tragic and not all surprising.

call me an ignorant American, but who is this?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby PorkChop » Jan 02, '17, 1:05 pm

Everlong wrote:

call me an ignorant American, but who is this?

Paul Gascoigne. He used to play football for England, and was one of the best players of his era. He's struggled with mental health issues and subsequently drug and alcohol issues for most of his life. He said recently that he'd been drinking four bottles of Jack Daniels a day just to feel normal.

It's gotten to the point now where he's beyond help, and I'd be amazed if he's still around a few years from now.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby DBSoT » Jan 02, '17, 3:21 pm

Mariah Carey's singing career.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Jan 02, '17, 3:39 pm

With any luck? Donald Trump and Mike Pence.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Jan 02, '17, 4:44 pm

I'm not going to guess, not only because it's a bit morbid but because it really would be a wild guess and I therefore wouldn't get any satisfaction over getting it right. :P

I'm here to make a more depressing observation: I think the huge amount of celebrity deaths this year might turn into the new normal. Some of the celebrities that died this year died tragically young, but the vast majority of them were at least over 50 and rarely were the circumstances truly exceptional. We all have relatives or neighbours or friends of friends who have died at similar ages in similar circumstances.

This is just my theory, so I could be completely wrong. But I think what's changed is that we've just gotten better at remembering the more influential names of the past. It's not that more celebrities are dying than before, it's just that they managed to maintain their celebrity status for their entire lives and died while they were still hugely relevant to pop culture. I think due to the internet and our media platforms becoming more sophisticated, the stars of the 80s have a bigger voice now than the stars of the 50s had then.

Would Carrie Fisher's death have been as big a news story if Star Wars had simply been the most popular movie of its time? I don't think so. But nowadays, something like Star Wars doesn't just fade away. It became a franchise, with prequels and spin-offs and merchandise galore. It remained part of modern pop culture. Fisher even got to reprise her iconic role in a film released just last year. As a result, everyone remembers Fisher and it made her passing a larger story. That's not the sort of thing that would have been happening in previous decades.

So the celebrities of yesteryear are now reaching a certain age and some of them are sadly passing away. It sucks, but there is a positive to it, because they're being remembered to a greater extent than ever before. Which is kinda nice.

I'm not trying to be a downer - just the opposite really. Because I'm guessing some other celebrity is going to pass in the next month or two and people will start saying "I thought it was over ... 2017 is going to suck as bad as 2016." And it'll make people stressed for no reason. People are always going to die. You just have to remember them as best you can and continue to live life.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 02, '17, 5:42 pm

Picking up on what Steve said, I think part of the reason for all the deaths this year is we're seeing a lot of stars who were young and rich and famous in the 70's and 80's passing away. The amount of partying, drugs, drinking, cigarettes etc that these people probably did back then eventually can take it's toll. A lot of these famous people lived hard and fast.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Jan 02, '17, 6:19 pm

It's also the fact that in America (where most of these celebrity deaths in the past year came from), all those were mostly of the baby boomer generation when the population grew significantly for a range of reasons. That means there's a lot of people in general in America that are reaching the age of more likely deaths.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jan 03, '17, 9:30 pm

Bill Clinton, ted nugent and miley Cyrus

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby ChrisCrossed » Jan 03, '17, 10:29 pm

Stan Lee.

ChrisCrossed Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby PorkChop » Oct 11, '17, 3:37 pm

Everyone mentioned in this thread is still going strong it seems.

If Kirk Douglas lasts through 2018 as well I'm convinced he's immortal.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 11, '17, 6:48 pm

Most impressive are Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland and Herman Wouk. All aged over 100. Not sure if I can think of any more.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Return to The Pub