It is currently: Apr 18, '24, 5:43 pm

Think I've found a new interest in web design.

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Think I've found a new interest in web design.

Postby Viazon » Dec 18, '16, 4:36 pm

So, I turned 30 this and have become seriously disillusioned at the fact that my life has literally not changed a single bit in over ten years. All I've done is work dead end jobs and I have never really found any joy in anything because I have never found anything I have enjoyed doing. And I have never found any motivation to get up and do anything about it. All I want is something I can find an interest in and learn something useful. Maybe get myself a career I enjoy.

Recent events where I work has made me really think about this more. Long story short, they are making redundancies, so there is a chance I will lose my job. Personally I don't think I will, but I still could. Even if I don't, the whole thing has made me realise that I really don't want to work there my whole life anyway. I just know that I could make something more of myself if I just stuck at it.

So I thought about something I have always been curious about. And that's web design. How do you design a website? What goes into making one? So I have looked into and notice there are some online courses I can do on the subject. This weekend, I have already started doing a free online tutorial and I have to say, I am enjoying it so far. All I have learnt is the very basics of using HTML, but I have been playing around with it a lot and it has certainly intrigued me.

Now, although have an interest in computers, I really do not know much about them. And honestly, I am really not that smart. Seriously. Some of the conversations you guys have on here I just breeze right past them because I have no idea what you are talking about. But I hope that won't hold me back too much. I know it's not easy but I hope if I put my mind to it and really work at it, it's something I can achieve.

I don't know where this will lead, but for the first time in a while, I feel a little good about myself. Not because I have achieved anything yet, but because I finally have something to aim for. I haven't had that in a long time. If ever. I have really looked into this and will go through with it. I have already looked into getting a new laptop because my current one is shit. And I've looked up what kind of tools you need that will help you build better website.

I know some of you guys on here may have a bit of experience with this kind of stuff and I know some of you may have run forums before. I was just wondering if you may have any tips or words of advice before heading in to something like this.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: Think I've found a new interest in web design.

Postby Hanley! » Dec 18, '16, 4:48 pm

I don't know much about web design, but I just wanted to say fair play for finding something you're interested in doing and going for it. Learning online while you're still employed in your current job is a good idea, because you have your job there as a safety net. Hope it all goes well, man.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Dec 18, '16, 4:50 pm

I've dabbled in web design to the extent where I can manipulate existing code, like I did to create the layout for this site and a few WordPress sites, but not to the extent where I can actually write code myself. The great thing is that having those kinds of skills is really important and marketable in today's world.

Biggest piece of advice I can give: just try stuff out and learn by doing, in addition to taking these online courses and tutorials. For me personally, I've learned almost everything I know just by tinkering with pieces of code here and there and seeing how things actually end up affecting what a site looks like.

I'd also become familiar with programs like Photoshop and InDesign.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 19, '16, 4:50 am

Well done mate for taking that step to work in your own time to forge, hopefully, a new and exciting adventure.

I can't offer advise specifically but I'm sure the courses you're doing will prove helpful and any other reading and studying you can do will be beneficial. Once you've got an understanding of sorts, continuing from Porky's thread, look at volunteering opportunities or as you are in the infancy and could use some holiday days from work, see if there are any organisations in the area you could write to and request a work experience opportunity. Even if you spend a day with someone well versed in your line of interest, it could help you see what the workload is like on a daily basis and you'll either be excited or think, maybe it's not for me or you could branch into a similiar line of work. Keep us updated ;)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Viazon » Dec 19, '16, 2:10 pm

Tnanks for the kind words guys. I'm just at the starting point right now. I will really get right into it in the new year. I am reading up a lot about it though. I will definitely need a new a better laptop so that will be first priority. Right now I have just been messing about with HTML on notepad, but I know I will better programs to properly get going. Abobe Dreamweaver is one I have seen commonly come on as a good development tool to use.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Postby HardcoreLegend » Dec 20, '16, 6:44 pm

I've always found the thought of web design and similar subjects a little out of reach. It's one of those things where you just have to mess around with things, bit of trial and error. Can also imagine it'll be time consuming! If you've got an interest for it though, you should definitely go for it!!

Good luck!

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Return to The Pub