It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 2:51 pm

Do you do anything to help your community?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Do you do anything to help your community?

Postby PorkChop » Dec 18, '16, 8:21 am

I moved to a new city two weeks ago, and I'm looking at getting involved in all sorts of community events and initiatives. I always try to help out in my community where possible and I wish lots of other people would do the same. I'm wondering who here volunteers (or anything else) in their communities.

Before I moved cities, I volunteered with a local charity helping people with learning difficulties and disabilities learn to ride bikes safely on the roads. It was quite good fun, although a bit challenging at times. One guy was able to find a part-time job as a result though, so despite all the challenges it was worthwhile.

I was also a school governor for an Infant school near where I lived, which I really enjoyed. It was quite sad leaving as it was a fantastic school, and working with the children was a great experience which I'll miss dearly. I hope to continue being a school governor with another school if I can.

Does anyone here do anything to help out their town / community?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Do you do anything to help your community?

Postby Viazon » Dec 18, '16, 3:48 pm

Well, I stay indoors mostly. Does that count?

In all seriousness, I don't. And I probably should. Might make me feel good to do something nice for others. And I really do need to get out more.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 19, '16, 4:44 am

I've volunteered in the past which helped me get the job I have now, coming up to three years in February (crikey!), so I definitely embrace volutneering yet that was in a way, a selfish pursuit as I wanted and needed a job. I could see the value in volunteering for a broader cause and maybe doing something for community radio might be a challenge to take up next year. I've got the face for it now.. and it'd be a challenge as I've not seen myself as a radio journalist yet if I worked on it, it could be good and give me something to do on my spare time besides lazying at home.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby HardcoreLegend » Dec 20, '16, 6:46 pm

My home village is a bit of a funny place. While there are a few community projects on the go, I find the people involved aren't really the kind of want to associate. Don't even think I could offer any help to be honest.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby War Daddy » Dec 21, '16, 3:11 pm

Yeah, I exist.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 21, '16, 8:55 pm

Sometimes I pick up my dog's poop.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 22, '16, 9:30 pm

Does it count if its court ordered? If so, yes

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Return to The Pub