It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 11:14 am

I am thinking about getting a tattoo

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

I am thinking about getting a tattoo

Postby Matteo » Dec 15, '16, 2:58 am

I have always been ambivalent towards tattoos, although over the past few months, I have been contemplating about getting one. Aesthetically, it would be a small print along my inner left wrist, containing the lyrics to a song that I feel best encapsulates who I am as a person hitherto. That is to say, combining my core life doctrines/principles with my love for artistry and creative expression. I am 95% sure I will never regret the tattoo, and it would not cost a whole lot. My girlfriend is willing to pay for it as part of my Christmas present.

The lyrics are taken from an early, obscure Pink Floyd track titled "Fearless" from their album "Meddle". The line I want to get tattooed is:

"Go down in your way, and everyday is the right day".

To me, the song is about standing up for what you believe in - being an individual of your conviction, and subverting all forms of authority if necessary. As somebody who admittedly has a pathological aversion to authority, I see an appeal in this. :lol More importantly, though, and on a serious note, it tells the story of a dissident who 'goes down' in his or her's 'own way', and because of this, 'everyday' is indeed 'the right day'. You do what you want, and you should never feel obstructed to do otherwise. If you believe in something that you feel benefits individuals or society at large, you should not let illegitimate power structures expurgate or limit you, even if you ultimately have to pay for it. I know this may come across as corny to many of you, but I find it liberating and empowering.

Additionally, the lyrics come from one of my favourite songs of all time, from perhaps my favourite band of all time, and sung by one of my favourite music artists of all time. It just all fits. It is an amalgamation of sorts.

The tattoo would be very minimalist, and written in small, classical-style font. This is how I am thinking at the moment.

What do you think of this? Is there enough thought vested into this idea? Do you have any tattoos? Share your general thoughts and experiences please.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 195

Re: I am thinking about getting a tattoo

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 15, '16, 4:10 pm

As a person with many, you are over analyzing this. If its something that you want, has meaning towards you, and your okay with the idea of forever, then do it. It does not matter what it looks like or the location, as long as it is for you then thats all that matters.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 98

Postby Viazon » Dec 18, '16, 3:54 pm

First of all, don't be an idiot like me and rush into getting a tattoo. Learn that the hard way. You may end up not liking what you have. I had a tattoo which I really did not end up liking and wanted it gone. I have ended up covering it up with an awesome tattoo I am now 100% happy with. Basically, be certain it's something you really want. Best advice I ever got from tattooist is that if you think you want a tattoo, don't get one. You have to know you want one. If you have any doubt at all, you probably shouldn't go through with it. I have a total of five tattoos now and that is definitely something I take into account now, which I never did before.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Hanley! » Dec 18, '16, 4:38 pm

I have a friend who got a tattoo that she didn't like, and has been getting it removed. Her words of wisdom were that tattoo removal is ten times as painful, ten times as expensive and infinitely as time consuming as getting the tattoo in the first place. That said, it hasn't put her off getting them in future - she'd just be smarter about it.

If you have any doubts then don't get one. If you're certain it's for you, then go for it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby HardcoreLegend » Dec 20, '16, 6:39 pm

Tattoos are for you. If it's something you want I say go for it. My only advice is to consider the placement. I know a few people with hand/wrist tattoos and while they don't regret them, I do believe that some people still look down at them for the placement.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 22, '16, 9:34 pm

HardcoreLegend wrote:Tattoos are for you. If it's something you want I say go for it. My only advice is to consider the placement. I know a few people with hand/wrist tattoos and while they don't regret them, I do believe that some people still look down at them for the placement.

This is a valid point, depending on the type of field you are in it could cause a problem. Tattoos are becoming more accepted day by day but you still have some people out there that associate tattoos with drugs/gangs/bad person.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Return to The Pub