It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 12:31 am

What's something which bothers you more than it should?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Postby PorkChop » Sep 25, '16, 8:20 am

For me, it's when people mention "road tax" in arguments about cycling on the roads here in the UK. It's usually middle-aged and elderly disgruntled drivers who bring it up, saying that cyclists should get off the roads because they don't pay their "road tax".

Many drivers refer to Vehicle Excise Duty as "road tax" and believe that the tax they pay on their car goes towards the upkeep of the roads. This isn't true. Vehicle Excise Duty is a tax based on your engine size, fuel consumption and emissions. This goes straight to HM Treasury and not the Department for Transport. It's not used for the upkeep of roads, and hasn't been since 1937. The roads are paid for by everyone, whether they drive, walk, cycle, or even if they don't use the roads at all. It's not exclusively drivers footing the bill and it hasn't been for 80 years.

You can start charging cyclists VED, but they don't have an engine, don't use fuel, and don't produce emissions. So you'd gather a total of £0 for your efforts. It would be a huge waste of time.

It's a really stupid argument and fundamentally wrong, yet it just won't seem to go away.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: What's something which bothers you more than it should?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 26, '16, 6:06 am

I might have mentioned it before in a similiar thread but it still bugs me.

My next door neighbour, his wife and kid, always end up on bin collection morning with their bin overflowing and I have no idea why. They recycle but just baffled and annoyingly, they sneak an extra bag in our bin so to try and stop this I've tended to put my bins out in the morning, shortly before collection (risky move as THIS could happen:
Spoiler:
)

I just don't get how they accrue so much rubbish.. and he's a prick sometimes which doesn't help.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby Viazon » Nov 10, '16, 9:40 am

Walking Dead is one of my favourite TV shows. What annoys me is that people can't appreciate good story telling. Now, don't get me wrong. As an avid Walking Dead fan, even I can admit that some episodes can be slightly boring and the writing isn't always great. But sometimes it is. However, some people are so blinded by over things that they can't seem to fully appreciate it. It's like people don't care about a character or can't connect with them unless they have been in the show from the first season, and only like it when a lot of action is happening and people are being killed and whatnot. One episode recently was quiet slow and not much happening but it introduced us to a new community and new characters. Carol in particular had a lot of scenes in this episode and was very much centered around her. I asked a colleague a work what she thought of the episode and she said she didn't like it and was just waiting for Carol to kill someone. Another episode centered around Daryl who is being held captive by the new bad guys. You got to see a lot of insight to a few new characters and got to know more about how this new group works. But again, people were just like, who cares about these guys? I want to see what's going on with Rick! See, Rick and most of the main cast haven't been seen since the first episode of this new season and the recent episodes have been focusing on only a few main characters. But all people want is to go straight back to the main group and see shit kick off. Because all they want is action. It's like they can't appreciate when they are trying to tell a story or give more insight on some new characters. Another colleague even that she missed a key scene in the recent episode because she was checking Facebook on her phone. Maybe if you put the phone down, pay attention you might be able to enjoy more.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Chewy » Nov 19, '16, 8:47 am

Cyclist not paying road tax, lazy fuckers should brought to rule.

Not enough room in my bin for my rubbish.

Shitty storytelling in TV shows, for fuck sake I don't care about their feelings, kill someone.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Hanley! » Nov 19, '16, 1:44 pm

^^ Lazy jokes like that one.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby EmperorWu » Nov 19, '16, 3:27 pm

People who call garbage cans bins...

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby ShaneOfan » Nov 19, '16, 9:07 pm

Posters who post a lot. Then disappear. Then reappear before quickly disappearing before eventually reappearing again.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Twister » Dec 07, '16, 5:06 pm

People who aren't aware of scollops and what they are are <runs and hides>

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby PorkChop » Dec 29, '16, 10:32 am

Another thing - Back on WWE-Club I had about 5000 posts before it shut down. Here I have 6700 or so.

I've made over 10,000 posts combined but I've never been a hall of famer, because of the forum switch. I just want the cool star above my name, dammit.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Dec 29, '16, 11:09 am

Rival sports teams. In the grand scheme of things, disliking them or their fans is petty and ridiculous. It just a game after all. However, I get irrationally angry when my team loses to them. It is a world wide phenomenon and you only really notice it when you watch a sport you don't care about.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Dec 29, '16, 4:44 pm

DBSoT wrote:Rival sports teams. In the grand scheme of things, disliking them or their fans is petty and ridiculous. It just a game after all. However, I get irrationally angry when my team loses to them. It is a world wide phenomenon and you only really notice it when you watch a sport you don't care about.

This could just be me rationalizing, but I actually think of this as a healthy function of society. Funneling your frustration and anger into something as relatively harmless as shouting at a TV or sending something on Twitter is better for everyone than acting out in real life.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby BrautFan » Jan 01, '17, 11:25 am

People who don't understand the personal space concept.

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby KaiserGlider » Jan 07, '17, 3:33 pm

People riding bikes in the middle of the street, or even in the bike lane when there's nobody on the sidewalk for miles.

Last edited by KaiserGlider on Jan 07, '17, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Jan 07, '17, 4:46 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:People riding bikes in the middle of the street, or even in the bike lane when there's noddy on the sidewalk for miles.

I get pissed off by just the opposite actually. In Ireland, if there's no cycle lane then the law is that cyclists should cycle on the road and not the sidewalk. Yet I see people cycling on the sidewalk all too frequently. Is the law different over there?

In general, cyclists kinda bug me in Dublin. Many of them just pick and choose what rules should apply to them. They're a pedestrian when it suits them and a driver when it suits them, so no matter what colour the lights are, the general rule in their own minds is that they should always be allowed to go.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Jan 07, '17, 6:48 pm

Hanley! wrote:
KaiserGlider wrote:People riding bikes in the middle of the street, or even in the bike lane when there's noddy on the sidewalk for miles.

I get pissed off by just the opposite actually. In Ireland, if there's no cycle lane then the law is that cyclists should cycle on the road and not the sidewalk. Yet I see people cycling on the sidewalk all too frequently. Is the law different over there?

In general, cyclists kinda bug me in Dublin. Many of them just pick and choose what rules should apply to them. They're a pedestrian when it suits them and a driver when it suits them, so no matter what colour the lights are, the general rule in their own minds is that they should always be allowed to go.

I live in Southern California where everybody owns a car and sidewalks are always empty. The law says that bicycling on sidewalks is allowed unless there's a sign saying it's not. It Grinds My Gears™ because cycling around my car is more dangerous for them and for me, and they don't even try to keep to the right of the road as much as possible.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby PorkChop » Jan 12, '17, 4:05 pm

Hanley! wrote:

A lot of people tend to stick to the pavements here too. It bothers me, but the problem lies with the fact that this country spends so little on cycle infrastructure and the roads are so congested and unfriendly, that many people think that cycling on pavements is the only way to cycle safely.

A lot of people aren't aware of rules and regulations when riding a bike, so they make stupid and sometimes dangerous decisions. In theory I'd be in favour of introducing the mandatory undertaking of the National Standard skills programme in order to ride a bike on the roads, but in actuality, this would probably cause the number of cyclists to plummet. Considering how inefficient Britain's road network has become and the alarming levels of air pollution around our major cities, the last thing we need to be doing is placing barriers in the way of cycling.

I never thought I'd see the day when we'd be discussing transport policy on here. As a transport planner, I'm getting a bit flustered :lol

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Return to The Pub