It is currently: Jun 16, '24, 12:55 am

Choose Your Own Philosophy

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Choose Your Own Philosophy

Postby UTK » Oct 19, '14, 4:05 pm

The Open University a "choose your own adventure" philosophy game. At the end of the game you'll receive an analysis of your choices and a map of how your opinions compare to different philosophers through the ages.

http://www2.open.ac.uk/openlearn/philos ... d-sea.html

Entertaining. I exited the window after I finished before I could think to copy and paste it here, but I remember it saying I agreed with Aristotle and Max Weber about certain things.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Choose Your Own Philosophy

Postby Hanley! » Oct 19, '14, 5:00 pm

"You're fairly forgiving, at heart; you agreed with the robin more than the blackbird, and you don't like blaming people for their decisions.

You value pleasure, but not at the cost of everything else - there are clear limits to how far you'll take the pursuit of enjoyment.

If you're looking to investigate some philosophers you agree with, there are a few places you can look. You could try David Hume, who agrees with you on the nature of desire. You and Aristotle feel the same way about weak will. And Max Weber feels similarly to you with regard to whether it's possible to be too rational."

Fun game. My Dad used to quote Hume on occasion (largely to annoy my brother, in fairness). So the fact that I apparently agree with him on some things seems pretty appropriate.

This is time consuming though. It's worth the ride, but don't do it at 11pm when you have ironing to do and work in the morning. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby War Daddy » Oct 19, '14, 5:26 pm

You've explored the castle. You've made your choices. And here's what we know about you:

'You're fairly forgiving, at heart; you agreed with the robin more than the blackbird, and you don't like blaming people for their decisions.

You value pleasure unusually highly: for you, enjoyment is very important.

If you're looking to investigate some philosophers you agree with, there are a few places you can look. You could try David Hume, who agrees with you on the nature of desire. You, Socrates and Thomas Hobbes all feel similarly about weak will. And Max Weber feels similarly to you with regard to whether it's possible to be too rational.

And if you want to challenge your opinions and seek out people you instinctively disagree with, there are plenty of them as well. You think very differently to Aristotle and Epicurus about whether desires can be rational. You disagree with Aristotle about weak will. You disagree with John Rawls about collective responsibility''

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby PorkChop » Oct 19, '14, 5:44 pm

You're a pretty harsh judge; you agreed with the blackbird more often than the robin, and you're quite willing to declare someone irrational or say that they made the wrong decision. Sometimes you judge people harshly, sometimes you're forgiving; sometimes you're happy to declare someone irrational, and at other times you're willing to make allowances for them. You agreed with the robin and the blackbird about the same amount.

You value pleasure, but not at the cost of everything else - there are clear limits to how far you'll take the pursuit of enjoyment.

If you're looking to investigate some philosophers you agree with, there are a few places you can look. You could try Aristotle and Epicurus, who agree with you on the nature of desire. You, Socrates and Thomas Hobbes all feel similarly about weak will. And Max Weber feels similarly to you with regard to whether it's possible to be too rational.

And if you want to challenge your opinions and seek out people you instinctively disagree with, there are plenty of them as well. You think very differently to David Hume about whether desires can be rational. You disagree with Aristotle about weak will. You disagree with John Rawls about collective responsibility.

This is spot on, to be honest. I see things as very much black/white, rational/irrational.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Chewy » Oct 19, '14, 6:04 pm

That shit gave me a headache.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby BSM » Oct 19, '14, 6:26 pm

You've explored the castle. You've made your choices. And here's what we know about you:

You're fairly forgiving, at heart; you agreed with the robin more than the blackbird, and you don't like blaming people for their decisions.

If you're looking to investigate some philosophers you agree with, there are a few places you can look. You could try David Hume, who agrees with you on the nature of desire. You and Aristotle feel the same way about weak will.

And if you want to challenge your opinions and seek out people you instinctively disagree with, there are plenty of them as well. You think very differently to Aristotle and Epicurus about whether desires can be rational. You disagree with Socrates and Thomas Hobbes about weak will. You disagree with John Rawls about collective responsibility. And you and Max Weber are opposed on whether it's possible to be too rational.

BSM Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 3

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 19, '14, 7:53 pm

You're fairly forgiving, at heart; you agreed with the robin more than the blackbird, and you don't like blaming people for their decisions.

If you're looking to investigate some philosophers you agree with, there are a few places you can look. You could try David Hume, who agrees with you on the nature of desire. You and Aristotle feel the same way about weak will. And Max Weber feels similarly to you with regard to whether it's possible to be too rational.

And if you want to challenge your opinions and seek out people you instinctively disagree with, there are plenty of them as well. You think very differently to Aristotle and Epicurus about whether desires can be rational. You disagree with Socrates and Thomas Hobbes about weak will. You disagree with John Rawls about collective responsibility.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Westcoastvibes » Oct 19, '14, 9:56 pm

There went 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby UTK » Oct 19, '14, 10:38 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:There went 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back

Chill out, blackbird.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author
Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Twister » Oct 21, '14, 1:35 pm

You value pleasure unusually highly: for you, enjoyment is very important.

If you're looking to investigate some philosophers you agree with, there are a few places you can look. You could try David Hume, who agrees with you on the nature of desire. You and Aristotle feel the same way about weak will. And Max Weber feels similarly to you with regard to whether it's possible to be too rational.

And if you want to challenge your opinions and seek out people you instinctively disagree with, there are plenty of them as well. You think very differently to Aristotle and Epicurus about whether desires can be rational. You disagree with Socrates and Thomas Hobbes about weak will. You disagree with John Rawls about collective responsibility.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Return to The Pub