It is currently: Jun 15, '24, 5:39 pm

Do you know your origins/roots?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Do you know your origins/roots?

Postby Viazon » Aug 04, '14, 11:14 am

How much do you know about your roots? Has your whole family always lived in your country or did they immigrate from another country? Why did they come over?

My mothers family back in Italy and carnie folk. They own a fairground. Whenever we go back to visit them, we get to visit the fairground and go on all of the rides for free. Pretty awesome. My grandad, that being my mothers father, came to England after the war. With a lot of the country needing to be rebuilt and most of the countries men having died in the war, they needed workers. There was a company not too far from my town called the London Brick Company. This lead to a lot of Italian workers coming to work. That is why there is now a very large Italian community in my town, Bedford. Most of the Italians in my town are descendants from people who came to work at the London Brick Company. There is even a mention about it on the company's Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Brick_Company#Italian_influence

After my grandad stopped working there, he was presented with a gift, as was everyone else. He received three commemorative bricks, coloured red, white and green for the Italian flag. We still have these bricks on display in my kitchen.

Then there is my dad. He came over to find work and helped build the railway tracks going from Bedford to London. My dad was a very promising boxer in his younger years. He could have gone professional and even had an opportunity to go to the Olympics one year but he decided against because of the corruption in Italian boxing. That's what he tells us anyway. If he had decided to take that road in his life, I may not have been here.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: Do you know your origins/roots?

Postby Kyle » Aug 04, '14, 12:06 pm

My ancestry is from Norway.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 7

Postby The Legend » Aug 04, '14, 12:12 pm

My ancestry is from a little bit of all over. I have one grandfather whose family is from the Czech Republic (more accurately Czechoslovakia), another grandfather whose family is from Finland, a grandmother whose family is mostly from Wales and another whose family is mostly from Ireland, but I have other blood from around Europe and even some Native American blood in me.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Aug 04, '14, 12:24 pm

My ancestry is English. Like, pure English, all the way through. Pretty boring stuff.

A relative of mine died on the Titanic, but that's about as interesting as it gets.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 04, '14, 12:38 pm

My ancestry originates from Pakistan, specifically in Azad Kashmir (which is Pakistan's piece of the Kashmir land which they've fought three wars with India over) but nothing major besides that. I've been about two times and it's a cool place to go and unwind but roasting weather, gets to about 40 degrees in the summer.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Kirbi » Aug 04, '14, 12:47 pm

I think I'm entirely Irish. At the very least, I've never heard any different, and I really look it. If I have a hint of anything else I'm unaware of, it's most likely English, I guess.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby Viazon » Aug 04, '14, 12:52 pm

PorkChop wrote:My ancestry is English. Like, pure English, all the way through. Pretty boring stuff.

A relative of mine died on the Titanic, but that's about as interesting as it gets.

Some of the Titanic was built in a factory in my town. Got knocked down a few years ago. There are houses there now.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Postby The Legend » Aug 04, '14, 12:57 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:My ancestry originates from Pakistan, specifically in Azad Kashmir (which is Pakistan's piece of the Kashmir land which they've fought three wars with India over) but nothing major besides that. I've been about two times and it's a cool place to go and unwind but roasting weather, gets to about 40 degrees in the summer.

I'm assuming that's 40 degrees celsius? It sounds quite cold otherwise.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 04, '14, 1:15 pm

The Legend wrote:
AkydefGoldberg wrote:My ancestry originates from Pakistan, specifically in Azad Kashmir (which is Pakistan's piece of the Kashmir land which they've fought three wars with India over) but nothing major besides that. I've been about two times and it's a cool place to go and unwind but roasting weather, gets to about 40 degrees in the summer.

I'm assuming that's 40 degrees celsius? It sounds quite cold otherwise.

Ha, yes celsius.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby JPG619 » Aug 07, '14, 10:57 pm

I have many different backgrounds. Below are the ones I know but I bet I be missing some

Dad's Side is from
Poland
Austria

Mom's Side is from
England
France
Germany
Ireland
French Canadian
I know there more on my mom side. The rest just slipped my mind.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby Everlong » Aug 14, '14, 3:14 pm

We're able to trace the male line on my dad's side back to the early 1600s in southwest Germany. Most of the people on my dad's side came to America in the early 1800s, and have been in Wisconsin since then.

My mom's side is a bit more interesting. We were able to trace her Scottish ancestry back to the actual MacBeth. I'll have to ask my older sister for more info about that, she's the one who's real interested in genealogy.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby steve84 » Aug 15, '14, 7:39 am

By background is English and Scottish. You dig far enough into either, and you realise that Europe is basically completely interbred. Scots were Irish, English were Scots or French, and you've only gone back 300 years.

And by that rationale, I am descended from Charlemagne:
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com ... l-royalty/

Favourite family story (as an Aussie who is partially descended from convicts) is of a descendent who picked up a rope in the street, and didn't realise until he got home that there was a horse attached to the other end.

PorkChop wrote:A relative of mine died on the Titanic, but that's about as interesting as it gets.

I had a great-something uncle of some variety who had a return ticket on the Titanic. Went missing after that point in time, but he may have been a bit of a boozer, which could explain why he went missing.

steve84 None specified
Mark
Mark

Return to The Pub