It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:58 am

Dips in creativity..

Get feedback on creative writing, music or graphics that you created. This is also the place to request a signature or image or to engage in graphic competitions.

Moderator: Daz

Dips in creativity..

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 26, '16, 2:23 pm

I was reading a piece with a cartoonist for a national newspaper who was talking about his career etc and how he initially had given up drawing but his girlfriend encouraged him to continue and he did an hour a day which helped him.

I should write more considering I studied journalism but I always find my writing is poor and I struggle to get going hence why I've not written on my blog in ages and no matter the good intention to put aside time to write, it never happens.

For all who have creative juices as a writer, cartoonist or whatever, thoughts?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Dips in creativity..

Postby Hanley! » Apr 26, '16, 2:28 pm

I think it's always easier to criticize your own work than anyone else's, and it's easy to talk yourself out of writing for that reason. But most people's writing isn't great at first. It takes work, and revision and editing to craft something great. So rather than focusing on little problems, I find it best to concentrate on working towards a finished product.

I often go through periods of being too tired or lazy to write, but I find the best way to motivate myself to get work done is to develop a routine. There's a coffee shop that I'll sometimes go to on days off and I'll stay there all day to get work done. My brain is familiar enough with this routine that when I'm there I find it easier to concentrate and meet targets.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Daz » Apr 26, '16, 3:32 pm

I've been in a creative slump for a month now, and even when I know what I'm writing is complete shit, I just power through and force myself to do it. Can always revise and edit later on, and its always better to have something to build on.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby BrautFan » May 03, '16, 6:04 pm

I suggest accepting how you work and think, as well as finding an encouraging mentor with expertise to challenge your thinking. I'm a deductive thinker. If I have found a premise or main purpose for telling a story, everything flows from that point. Some writers, while in the process, do not initially have a clear picture of the end outcome. Ideas and events are based on characters' personalities and may coalesce later in the process. I find having a clear purpose (message) is the most motivating aspect of working on a creative project.

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby BrautFan » Oct 21, '16, 9:59 am

Creativity update:

I have had a surge in creativity. Nothing is more dynamic and productive than a team writing session (caveat: must have the right people). If you can land yourself in a situation lending itself to working with awesome people, and leave your ego at the door, the product will be much better in the end.

Editing is still a painful process. :facepalm

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 22, '16, 8:56 am

Whilst browsing some courses to do with my job, I came across an effective writing course which was a nice, simple guide on how to write concisely. That's one of my biggest problems - writing and using too many words and rambling on when less will do. I'm amazed how I write at work (emails, e-bulletins) and not end up getting grief for not explaining something properly or most of the time, confusing people with my requests!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Oct 23, '16, 4:06 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:That's one of my biggest problems - writing and using too many words and rambling on when less will do

I have this problem sometimes, particularly if I'm writing about something I'm passionate about. I just tend to spill all my thoughts out onto the page rather than form constructive and concise paragraphs. Often it's unnecessarily verbose and a bit repetitive.

I'm quite a good verbal communicator but I never felt that writing was my strong point. Let me know how that course goes, as I might book myself onto one should I get the chance.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Oct 23, '16, 5:55 am

I'll often describe something in too many words when I'm writing also. Usually, I'll just cut back on the length and try to make things more concise in the second or third draft. I tend to find spilling all my thoughts out onto the page to be a healthy part of the process. Then I can go back later and decide which parts are worth keeping, or which parts could be better explained.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby BrautFan » Dec 11, '16, 12:29 pm

I sometimes have the opposite problem. I might sum something up in a way I deem needs no further explanation. But then, I inevitably get a "not clear" back... too jargon-laden, usually.

Editors are brutal. BRUTAL....

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Postby BrautFan » Dec 11, '16, 12:34 pm

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Postby BrautFan » Jan 21, '17, 5:40 pm

I finally received my peer-reviewed paper back. I am invited to revise and resubmit.... yes, the comments were repugnant. I don't feel like making my argument in the direction he/she/it wants me to.... and will proceed with going to the nearest rubber room to express my extreme rage.

Then I'll change the paper.

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Return to Creative Corner