It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 12:58 am

Josh McCown's stats since taking over for Cutler

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Josh McCown's stats since taking over for Cutler

Postby Everlong » Dec 10, '13, 9:37 am

McCown is 147/220 (66.8%) with 13 TDs, 1 INT, 109.8 pass rating.

You can't convince me that the Bears aren't better off without Cutler. I know McCown isn't a long-term solution, but there's absolutely no way that the Bears should shell out a huge contract for Cutler this offseason, given his injury-prone nature and his lack of a truly great season.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Josh McCown's stats since taking over for Cutler

Postby The Legend » Dec 10, '13, 10:39 am

So you are saying they should go with a career backup who is five years older and go into next year with McCown in a year with a poor draft class as far as quarterbacks go? If they did this the Bears would be set back definitely for the short term. What they really should do is franchise Cutler for next year, see what happens next year and then move on from there. I mean they are tied for the lead in their division, they look like a playoff team right now and like a team that doesn't have an abundance of needs to spend a lot of resources on this off-season.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Dec 10, '13, 10:42 am

The Legend wrote:So you are saying they should go with a career backup who is five years older and go into next year with McCown in a year with a poor draft class as far as quarterbacks go? If they did this the Bears would be set back definitely for the short term. What they really should do is franchise Cutler for next year, see what happens next year and then move on from there. I mean they are tied for the lead in their division, they look like a playoff team right now and like a team that doesn't have an abundance of needs to spend a lot of resources on this off-season.

No, that's absolutely not what I'm saying. And yeah, I agree that they should franchise Cutler. What I'm saying is, why commit to making Cutler a long-term solution when he hasn't proven that he's worth it, and when the offense has actually played better without him this season?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby motionmann » Dec 11, '13, 1:20 am

I definitely expect the Bears to franchise him. Don't see how anything else would happen unless the Bears loved him that much. Josh McCown is helped though by a phenomenal 1-2 punch with Marshall and Jefferey along with a good back in Forte.

motionmann None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby ShaneOfan » Dec 11, '13, 2:17 pm

I would franchise Cutler for next season and have him be the starter day one of training camp. But do so with the knowledge that it is his job to lose and if he wants a longer contract he sure as hell better earn it. Cutler is not a top 10 QB but he isn't horrible either. Josh is playing well now but I wouldn't trust him in any role other then what he has right now, a back up who is good enough to star a few games if needed.

Cutler has a better chance of taking them to the Superbowl next year if he knows his job is on the line then McCown does plain and simple. Then at the end of the season next year if they are 5-9 you can throw Joshy boy in to play clean up and look to the future. Cut him then. Not before.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby SKS » Dec 11, '13, 2:39 pm

I think Cutler should take less money than he wants and stay with the Bears instead of demanding a lucrative long term contract. No other team he'd end up with is in a better situation offensive wise than Chicago. Their O-line took a total 180 this season, Jeffery & Marshall are excellent WRs, Matt Forte is a beast. The Bears know that Cutler is better than McCown, so they'll want to keep him. Not at a super expensive price though, which is why I'd take the pay cut if I'm Cutler.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Messiah » Dec 15, '13, 12:58 pm

Cutler has been the same QB since he has stepped on the field as a rookie. No improvement whatsoever. Same dumbass mistakes. Same bad accuracy.

What exactly will they find out next year that they don't already? Just let him walk. Spend the money on defense.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Dec 15, '13, 1:02 pm

Messiah wrote:Cutler has been the same QB since he has stepped on the field as a rookie. No improvement whatsoever. Same dumbass mistakes. Same bad accuracy.

What exactly will they find out next year that they don't already? Just let him walk. Spend the money on defense.

It's not about waiting to find something out next year, it's acknowledging that while he's not great they can and probably would do a lot worse in trying to replace him this year. He's a stop gap until they can find someone better.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Dec 15, '13, 1:23 pm

If they are just looking for a stop gap then just keep McCown and don't waste money tagging Cutler.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Dec 15, '13, 1:32 pm

Messiah wrote:If they are just looking for a stop gap then just keep McCown and don't waste money tagging Cutler.

I believe Cutler's a better stop gap and it's all about fielding the best guys possible each year. It's too easy to say just get rid of a guy, but nobody ever thinks about who you are going to use to fill that spot next year.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby ShaneOfan » Dec 16, '13, 10:42 am

The Legend wrote:
Messiah wrote:If they are just looking for a stop gap then just keep McCown and don't waste money tagging Cutler.

I believe Cutler's a better stop gap and it's all about fielding the best guys possible each year. It's too easy to say just get rid of a guy, but nobody ever thinks about who you are going to use to fill that spot next year.

Exactly.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Messiah » Dec 16, '13, 4:25 pm

The Legend wrote:I believe Cutler's a better stop gap and it's all about fielding the best guys possible each year. It's too easy to say just get rid of a guy, but nobody ever thinks about who you are going to use to fill that spot next year.

This would make sense if Cutler actually had another year on his deal then yes, may as well just keep him around. But that isn't the case. To keep him around, you have to tag him and have a mediocre at best quarterback take up a lot of cap space on your team. You yourself admitted he was merely a stopgap. Keeping him around is simply delaying the inevitable while also taking up cap space that could be used elsewhere on the team, like their bad and fast aging defense.

Keep in mind they have to re-sign Henry Melton.

I know they will have to find somebody to fill the hole. But they are going to have to do that anyway. Why not go ahead and do it now if you have made up your mind? Because there is nothing new we are going to see in Cutler.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Dec 16, '13, 7:34 pm

Messiah wrote:
The Legend wrote:I believe Cutler's a better stop gap and it's all about fielding the best guys possible each year. It's too easy to say just get rid of a guy, but nobody ever thinks about who you are going to use to fill that spot next year.

This would make sense if Cutler actually had another year on his deal then yes, may as well just keep him around. But that isn't the case. To keep him around, you have to tag him and have a mediocre at best quarterback take up a lot of cap space on your team. You yourself admitted he was merely a stopgap. Keeping him around is simply delaying the inevitable while also taking up cap space that could be used elsewhere on the team, like their bad and fast aging defense.

Keep in mind they have to re-sign Henry Melton.

I know they will have to find somebody to fill the hole. But they are going to have to do that anyway. Why not go ahead and do it now if you have made up your mind? Because there is nothing new we are going to see in Cutler.

If they can find a quarterback that can play as well or better than Cutler next year by all means they should make the change. I just seriously doubt their ability to do that in a year where available quarterbacks seem to not be able to make a big impact.

World Champion
World Champion

Return to NFL