It is currently: Jun 15, '24, 9:48 pm

NFL discussing taking replay duty out of officials' hands

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

NFL discussing taking replay duty out of officials' hands

Postby Everlong » Dec 09, '13, 9:23 pm

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/09/nfl-week- ... terback/2/

The relevant portion of that article:

The NFL has discussed centralizing the replay system, likely in New York.

For uniformity of calls, mostly. And why not, after seeing the disastrous Jeff Triplette reversal of a likely correct call in Cincinnati? I’d prefer to have the same people looking at all replays. It lessens—though doesn’t eliminate—the chances of a mistake because the foremost authorities on the calls, led by VP of Officiating Dean Blandino, would be overseeing the process from the NFL command center. Mike Florio and I reported on this last night on NBC, and I can tell you it’s being seriously considered. Nothing is likely to change before 2015, however. I’d expect 2014 to be a study year for the project.

Sounds like the public wants to take replay—and probably a lot more—out of the hands of referees at game sites. Florio asked on Pro Football Talk: “Should the NFL move the instant-replay function out of the stadium?” By early this morning, 83.7 percent of those responding (5,591 of 6,681) said yes. I asked my Twitter followers last night: “Should the NFL centralize replay in one place?” It was 149-9, yes (94.3 percent).

The league would consider this not only because a uniformity of eyes looking at the calls could lead to more consistency, but also because it would likely shorten games. The time of games (3 hours, 11 minutes, 20 seconds, on average, this weekend) has slowly crept up in the last few years, and the league wants to bring it back down. The time it takes for replay is getting onerous. We measured the fateful Triplette reversal Sunday, from the time he announced that the Cincinnati rushing play near the goal line was being reviewed to the time he announced the reversal: four minutes, 10 seconds … even though the time a ref can spend under the hood is only one minute. There is no question that process can be streamlined by getting rid of the mechanical procedures at the game site that accompany the replay process.

For the record, times of games in the last six seasons, including this one through Sunday night’s Saints-Panthers game:

2013: 3:08:30
2012: 3:06:32
2011: 3:05:48
2010: 3:04:12
2009: 3:03:42
2008: 3:02:12

Stay tuned for offseason debate on this topic.

This would be really interesting. The benefits are twofold: it takes the responsibility out of the hands of refs who already have plenty on their plate and gives it to people who can quickly access great angles of the reviews, and it also streamlines games so we don't keep getting longer and longer games.

I'd be all for it.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: NFL discussing taking replay duty out of officials' hand

Postby The Legend » Dec 10, '13, 5:48 am

I think the consistency of it all with one-three people looking at it could help. But I would almost just prefer they go the college route and have an official in the booth that isn't a part of the regular crew on the field. The reason for that is it seems to me there are some referees that are far less likely to overrule for desire to not seem like they got it wrong in the first place.

There's one thing that I don not buy into of it improving and that's the length of games. You want to understand why games take longer, it has nothing to do with instant replay it's about the way the NFL has changed the way the game is played. Teams are passing all the time right now and the fact is passing plays lead to the clock being stopped far more often than running plays do. If you want shorter games then you need to roll back the style of the game and the rules that influenced that style. Absent of that you just have to live with games getting longer and longer.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Re: NFL discussing taking replay duty out of officials' hand

Postby Romo » Dec 10, '13, 7:54 am

If it helped shorten the time of the game you'd find more people overseas watching, the biggest complaint i've gotten from my friends who have tried watching was that the games took too long.

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Re: NFL discussing taking replay duty out of officials' hands

Postby Kyle » Dec 16, '13, 6:46 pm

It is a very good idea and makes sure all decisions are fair because the same people would be making all of them.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Re: NFL discussing taking replay duty out of officials' hands

Postby Locke » Dec 17, '13, 12:24 am

Definitely hope this goes in. Sometimes the refs just feel blinder than WWE refs.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Return to NFL