It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 5:21 am

2016 Squared Circle NFL Mock Draft (Completed)

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

2016 Squared Circle NFL Mock Draft (Completed)

Postby DBSoT » Mar 25, '16, 10:06 am

It is that time a year again and we are only 34 days out from the 2016 NFL Draft. That means it is now or never for us as a community to create our yearly mock draft. I am going to need takers for every division. I will list the divisions below and who will be drafting for them. I will update the thread as people respond. I am going to take over the AFC South because the Titans have the first pick and it will be easy for me to remember to update the thread initially.

AFC:
North - Legend
South - DBSoT
East - Legend
West - Everlong

NFC:
North - Everlong
South - DBSoT
East - CMPUNKFAN
West - DBSoT

1. Tennessee Titans – March 25th
With the first pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select...

Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

It has been projected for sometime now that Tunsil is going to be the #1 overall pick. He has been compared to many top level NFL linemen including a couple of comparisons to Joe Thomas. This is a pro bowl level talent that can step right in opposite Taylor Lewan and provide very good protection for a young QB. Tunsil is the cream of the crop and quite possibly the best blocker to come out of college in sometime. Tunsil checks all of the boxes physically, with a prototypical frame and a rare blend of size and athleticism. The results on the field are just as impressive as the measurables, with Tunsil getting the job done at a very high level in both pass protection and the run game. Tennessee has also let it be known that they are willing to listen to trade offers for this selection and there could be a market. That kind of talk is typical of teams with the #1 pick though.

2. Cleveland Browns - March 26th
With the second pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select...

Jared Goff, QB, Cal-Berkley

Yes, I realize the Browns just signed RGIII to a free agent contract. No, I don't think handing RGIII the keys to the kingdom uncontested would be a wise move for job security for Hue Jackson, Sashi Brown and Paul DePodesta. Yes, I realize Carson Wentz has become a much more popular pick than Goff to be the first QB taken, with most mock drafters picking here to be the spot that Wentz goes. No, I don't agree with those experts, I don't like pretty much any part of Wentz's game as much as Goff to me. I can't in good conscious force myself to make that pick, so I'm going with Jared Goff. The guy that I think is far and away the most likely QB to have a successful NFL career out of this bunch. After struggling to find one QB for so many years, the Browns will approach the next couple of years taking two options of #2 picks to try and maximize their chances of success.

3. San Diego Chargers - March 27th

With the third pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the San Diego Chargers select...

Jalen Ramsey, CB/S, Florida State

There are a lot of people who think Ramsey is a contender for the top overall pick, or that Cleveland could snag him at #2 if they're not settled on Goff. Regardless, I don't think there's any way he falls past #3. San Diego is in need of secondary help badly after losing Eric Weddle in free agency and playing relatively poor pass defense in 2015. This guy is supposed to be one of the best DB prospects to hit the draft in years, and should instantly make their defense better. This would be huge for San Diego... they can't continue to only rely on Philip Rivers to outscore the other team.

4. Dallas Cowboys - March 28th
With the fourth pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys select...
Joey Bosa, DE/OLB, Ohio State

This is an interesting spot for the Cowboys. They have to at least consider a quarterback because Tony Romo is going to be 36-years-old and durability is a major concern. Plus there is no telling when Dallas will be in position to select a top rated signal caller again in the foreseeable future. With that said I think Jerry Jones is ultimately going to focus on trying to win a championship with Romo rather than trying to replace him. Ohio St. DE Joey Bosa falling into their laps would probably make that decision a little easier too. The pass rusher cupboard in “Big D” isn’t bare but Greg Hardy is a free agent and may be more trouble than he is worth. Bosa earns high marks for his performance against the run and isn’t just a one-dimensional edge rusher. People originally were calling Bosa the best player in the draft. That is very debatable, but he is still a top talent and a guy that helps Dallas right now.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars - March 29th
With the fifth pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...
DeForest Buckner DE/DT, Oregon

They Jags most pressing need is in the secondary, where they could stand to upgrade at both cornerback and safety. In other words if Jalen Ramsey of Florida St. were still available that would be a match made in heaven. However, in this scenario it wasn't to be, so Jacksonville must turn their attention elsewhere. After assembling a superb collection of young talent on offense it’s time to bring in some reinforcements on the other side of the ball. In all fairness they attempted to do just that a year ago but Dante Fowler’s entire rookie season was wiped out by a knee injury. The good news is the Jaguars will essentially be adding not one but two Top 5 picks to next years roster. Oregon DE DeForest Buckner would provide a major boost to a defensive front that ranked in the middle of the pack in both run defense and sack production last season. Buckner is a formidable physical specimen with a unique mix of length, bulk and athleticism. While not a dynamic pass rusher off the edge Buckner still racked up 17.0 tackles for a loss and 10.5 sacks as a senior while also grading out as an outstanding run defender. If Jacksonville feels they really need to upgrade their secondary, then expect them to trade back and select Vernon Hargraves from Florida. An starting O-lineman could also be in play.

6. Baltimore Ravens - March 30th
With the sixth pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select...

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

It happens every year, somebody makes an unexpected pick that twists the draft and makes other teams make decisions they didn't think they'd have to make. I thought Stanley was a no-brainer for the Ravens and ultimately I decided for it to still be the pick, but the Jaguars choosing a surprise of DeForest Buckner and not Myles Jack made me think about it for Baltimore. That being said, the Ravens offensive line is not good, they've never really replaced Jonathan Ogden and while saying Stanley could be a HOFer is an over reach they can draft him and not worry about that tackle spot for a decade.

7. San Francisco 49ers - March 31st
With the seventh pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select...

Carson Wentz

Quarterback is clearly the most pressing concern in San Francisco and this seems like a perfect fit for both player and team, but will Wentz still be available? Working in the Niners favor is that there are actually fewer teams at the top of this draft in need of a signal caller than usual. However, even if Goff or Carson Wentz fall out of the Top 5 there is still the risk of another team trading up and beating them to the punch. Especially since everyone knows the they are in the market for a signal caller. It might be in San Francisco’s best interests to explore moving up themselves to ensure they land either Goff or Wentz. The Niners certainly have other needs that they could address with this choice but until they fix the quarterback position nothing else will matter. That’s a lesson Chip Kelly already learned the hard way in Philly.

8. Philadelphia Eagles (traded from Dolphins) - April 1st
With the eighth pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Philidelphia Eagles select...

ImageEzekiel Elliott
The Eagles sent Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso to Miami to move up from #13. Ridding themselves of two disappointing remnants of the Chip Kelly era was probably a primary motivating factor. However, if the deal was made with a particular prospect in mind it was more than likely Ohio St. RB Ezekiel Elliott. Especially since DeMarco Murray was also part of Philly’s offseason purge. Elliott is the total package, with the ability to run both inside and outside as well as get the job done as a pass catcher and blocker. Put simply, Elliott is an every-down workhorse who never has to leave the field. Elliott isn’t quite in the same class as Todd Gurley, who is the type of rare talent that may only come along once a decade. With that said he is pretty damn good and there may be no greater drop-off in the 2016 NFL Draft than the one from Elliott to RB2. It will be interesting to see if the success Gurley enjoyed as a rookie will revitalize the demand for high-level running back prospects such as Elliott. Philadelphia could also be tempted by Notre Dame OT Ronnie Stanley as a long-term replacement for Jason Peters, who hasn’t always been the picture of health and is now 34-years-old. Personally, I would still be thinking about a quarterback but for better or worse the Eagles have hitched their wagon to Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel. Good luck with that.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - April 2nd
With the ninth pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

ImageNoah Spence

The Bucs most glaring need is in the secondary, but Florida St. CB / S Jalen Ramsey will be long gone and another defensive back might be a stretch at this point. Eastern Kentucky DE Noah Spence could come off the board in the Top 10 overall or slide all the way out of the first round due to character concerns. Tampa Bay was willing to overlook some of Jameis Winston’s off-the-field transgressions and so far they’ve been handsomely rewarded. Why not take another chance on the best pure pass rusher in this class? Spence began his college career at Ohio St. and looked every bit the part of an elite pro prospect before failing multiple drug tests and being ruled permanently ineligible by the Big Ten. Rather than transfer to another Division I program and sit out a year, Spence opted to drop down to a lower level of competition where he could play immediately. Spence made the most of his second chance, racking up 22.5 tackles for a loss and 11.5 sacks in his lone season at EKU. More importantly, every drug test that was administered came back clean. A thickly-built, explosive athlete with a superb mix of speed and power, Spence excels in pursuit and can wreak havoc off the edge as either a defensive end or outside linebacker. For comparisons sake think along the lines of Justin Houston. Spence confirmed that he is one of this year’s premier talents during the pre-draft process at the Senior Bowl and Scouting Combine, now it’s just a matter of how early a team will feel comfortable rolling the dice.

10. New York Giants - April 3rd
With the tenth pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the New York Giants select...

ImageVernon Hargreaves

Vernon Hargreaves might makes sense. He doesn't fill a pressing need, but the team has no depth at cornerback. That's a problem, since it's a must to have three viable corners in this day and age. Hargreaves could eventually step in as a starter once Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie moves on.

11. Chicago Bears - April 4th
With the eleventh pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select...

ImageA'Shawn Robinson

I originally thought about Ronnie Stanley to the Bears, but he is gone in this mock. If the Bears don't like Stanley, they could address the opposite side of the line of scrimmage. A'Shawn Robinson makes a ton of sense here, as he would be potentially be a big upgrade up front. Alabama DT A’Shawn Robinson may look like a grizzled ten-year veteran but in reality he just turned 21-years-old. Robinson anchored the best defensive line in the country, using his size, strength and aggressiveness to control the line of scrimmage for the Crimson Tide en route to a national championship. Robinson isn’t a particularly explosive athlete and probably won’t ever be a dynamic pass rusher but few are better when it comes to stuffing the run. Another bonus with Robinson is that he is scheme-diverse, with the ability to play either defensive tackle or defensive end depending on the front. This may not be a sexy choice for the Bears but Robinson is going to be a solid player in the league for a long time. He is also a guy I wish the Lions could get.

12. New Orleans Saints - April 5th
With the twelfth pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select...

ImageEmmanuel Ogbah

Defense continues to be the Achilles’ heel for the Saints. This past season they finished 31st out of 32 teams against the pass, run and overall. At least they were consistent. The lack of a pass rush is particularly troubling as only five teams recorded fewer sacks than the Saints in 2015. Cameron Jordan needs some help. Oklahoma St. DE Emmanuel Ogbah is a big, long-armed, powerful pass rusher and offers both positional and schematic versatility. Ogbah isn’t a finished product and can be inconsistent but he possesses all of the tools to be a very good all-around starter, plus his best football is still to come. New Orleans could also have their pick of the litter at defensive tackle or possibly any cornerback other than Jalen Ramsey or Vernon Hargreaves.

13. Miami Dolphins (traded from Eagles) - April 6th
With the 13th pick in the 2016 SquaredCircle Mock Draft the Miami Dolphins select

Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA

I know Jack has some injury concerns, but I believe he'll put those behind him and he's too talented to fall much past this point. Jack will help the Dolphins defense immensely by being a big time playmaker from the edge of this defense.

14. Oakland Raiders - April 7th
With the 14th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders select...

Makensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

Alexander is projected by most scouts to go in the top 15, and this is a sensible pick for the Raiders. They've already got the nucleus in place on offense. Solid skill position, one of the best offensive lines in football. They need to keep building their defense to be able to compete. Their front 7 is tough as nails, but that secondary needs quite a bit of work. Alexander is a guy who can come in and start (or at least play significantly) immediately at a variety of secondary positions. His versatility will make him a nice replacement for Charles Woodson.

15. Los Angeles Rams - April 8th
With the 15th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Rams select...

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State

Most people have pin pointed Paxton Lynch as this pick, but Cook is the more complete prospect and better set to play right away. Out of all of the top QB prospects non have the success in college that Cook does nor did they play in an NFL system like Cook did. Some minor concerns have been made about Cook not being voted a captain in college, but those fears seem to have died down quite a bit. Personally they were BS from the start, but I digress. The Rams have a lot of proper pieces that are necessary to compete in the near future, but are still missing the most important position on the field. Currently they have Case Keenum penned in as the starter and that is a problem. With the help of a top flight RB in Todd Gurley and a good defense, Cook could step in right away and help this team in a tough division.

16. Detroit Lions - April 9th
With the 16th pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select...

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

Keeping Conklin in Michigan makes sense for the Lions. While there's definitely a need to bring in some more wide receivers, they did just enough in free agency where they probably don't need to spend their top pick on a receiving prospect. This means they can either address their porous offensive line or figure out how to rebuild that defense. Conklin has mid- to late-first round talent. What he lacks for in agility he makes up for in raw power and intensity.

17. Atlanta Falcons - April 10th
With the 17th pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Atlanta Falcons select....

Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State

After getting off to a hot start under new head coach Dan Quinn the Falcons faded down the stretch, showing they weren’t quite ready for primetime. The defense in particular is still a work in progress and in truth there might not be a single long-term solution on the roster at linebacker. Ohio St. OLB Darron Lee is a former prep quarterback who has only been playing his new position for a few years but has already emerged as an impact presence. And he will only continue to improve. An outstanding athlete with an all-around game, Lee showcases the ability to run, hit, cover and blitz while also earning high marks for his intangibles. Lee is still a bit underdeveloped physically and must keep working on mastering the nuances of the position but his best football is still to come and he’s a model fit for Quinn’s scheme. Keep an eye on Leonard Floyd of Georgia as well, who would address the need for both a linebacker and edge pass rusher. Notre Dame OLB Jaylon Smith would be a great fit too if they are willing to be patient. I considered picking Smith here considering he is a top 5 talent, but his knee injury is a major issue and could drop him out of the 1st round.

18. Indianapolis Colts - April 11th
With the 18th pick in the NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts select....

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

Last season was basically a nightmare for the Colts and when Andrew Luck got hurt a lot of other weaknesses were exposed. You can’t help but wonder what type of season the Colts might have had if they used last year’s first round pick on someone to protect Luck rather than Phillip Dorsett, who contributed 18 catches and 1 touchdown as a rookie. Despite all that went wrong Indy still managed to win eight games and just getting Luck back healthy could push them back into the playoffs. Everything hinges on keeping Luck upright though as he might be the single most valuable player asset in the league. Taylor Decker isn’t quite as naturally athletic as some other tackles in this draft but he is no slouch when it comes to physical tools and compensates for any shortcomings with top-notch intangibles. Most notably a physical, aggressive mindset and nasty on-field demeanor. An offensive line comprised of Decker and Anthony Castonzo on the outside and Jack Mewhort, Hugh Thornton and Khaled Holmes on the interior would be a massive improvement over what Indy rolled out last year.

19. Buffalo Bills - April 12th
With the 19th pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss

This is a weird spot to be in. The Bills clearly need to continue to rebuild their defense to have the pieces Rex Ryan wants. Nkemdiche comes with plenty of baggage, but Ryan is the kind of guy that will take that kind of chance and if this pick hits it could be a huge coup for the Bills to acquire a top 10 talent this far down the first round.

20. New York Jets - April 13th
With the 20th pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

If we've learned anything in the past couple years, it's that if you are going to build a defense that makes an impact it starts and ends with affecting the quarterback negatively, through the pass rush. Floyd could become the perfect NASCAR package pass rusher that is so valuable as more and more downs become passing downs. There's definitely some physical strength questions and questions about how he'll play the run, but I think the upside beats the downside for him.

21. Washington Redskins - April 14th
With the 21th pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Washington Redskins select...

Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

My original idea was to put A'Shawn Robinson here, but he was already drafted with the Bears pick. So, instead I took his teammate. Alabama DT Jarran Reed is a stout, powerful presence on the interior. Reed is a standout versus the run and while not a great pass rusher is more disruptive than his meager sack totals might lead you to believe. If Reed is already off the board there should be plenty of other enticing alternatives, with Louisiana Tech DT Vernon Butler being a prime example.

22. Houston Texans - April 15th
With the 22nd pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select...

Corey Coleman

The Texans had the #3 defense in the NFL last season, yet barely snuck into the playoffs courtesy of a weak division and were eliminated with ease in the opening round. The offense was obviously the problem, so Houston made a splash in free agency by signing Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller. The trio of Osweiler, Miller and DeAndre Hopkins seems like an exciting young core but they could still stand to add one more weapon to the mix. Enter Baylor WR Corey Coleman, who is arguably the most dangerous playmaker in the 2016 NFL Draft. The Baylor program has produced a number of successful pro pass catchers in recent years, from Josh Gordon to Kendall Wright to Terrance Williams, and Coleman will help extend that streak. Coleman is an incredibly explosive athlete and truly dynamic threat, with the ability to create after the catch and take the top off a defense. As a junior Coleman averaged 18.4 yards per catch and hauled in 20 touchdown passes, one for every 3.7 receptions. Coleman is rough around the edges but just having a talent like that on the field should help open things up for Hopkins and the rest of the passing attack.

23. Minnesota Vikings - April 16th

With the 23rd pick in the 2016 SquaredCircle Mock Draft, the Minnesota VIkings select...

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

This was a tough selection for me. A lot of experts have the Vikings taking a WR, some of whom have specifically chosen Fuller. But they also need some big-time help on the offensive line, as Bridgewater really isn't getting the protection he needs.

At this point in the first round, it all comes down to value. A guy like Fuller, who isn't necessarily a budding superstar but can come in and make a solid impact, is probably a better choice than a lineman who may or may not be a reach in the late first round. The Vikings had Stefon Diggs start to break out a little last year, but don't have a whole lot else on offense for Bridgewater to rely on in terms of receiving weapons, especially considering how Cordarelle Patterson has completely flopped. If they want to continue to challenge for division titles, they need guys who can help Bridgewater become a true franchise QB, and that means taking WRs with high picks.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - April 17th

With the 24th pick in the 2016 SquaredCircle Mock Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select...

Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

The Bengals got absolutely decimated in their receiver corps this off-season, losing their second and third WR options behind AJ Green. Treadwell isn't quite as great as people were talking about him earlier in the offseason, but he's still a damn good possession second receiver when he draws single coverage across from Green. This pick would actually not just replace losing Sanu, but actually make it stronger for the Bengals.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers - April 18th

With the 25th pick in the 2016 SquaredCircle Mock Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

This pick makes so much perfect sense. The Steelers secondary is a serious weakness, they have a habit of picking Ohio State players and turning them into productive players and Apple is a damn highly talented player. He's a corner that has a nose for the ball and knack for making big plays in the most important moments.

26. Seattle Seahawks - April 19th

With the 26th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft the Seattle Seahawks select......

Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

There were already serious issues along the offensive line in Seattle before losing their left tackle Russell Okung in free agency. Needless to say adding another quality blocker is now of the utmost importance. In January I predicted that Indiana OT Jason Spriggs was going be a riser during the pre-draft process and wind up in round one when all was said and done. Spriggs followed up a terrific final college campaign with impressive showings at the Senior Bowl and Scouting Combine. It may now only be a matter of how early in the first frame he comes off the board. Springs is a converted tight end with a linear frame, nimble feet to protect the blindside and four years of starting experience against top competition. Although Spriggs is surely a better pass protector than run blocker it should be noted that he helped paved the way for Tevin Coleman and Jordan Howard to rush for a combined 3,249 yards the past two seasons. If Spriggs comes off the board earlier than expected, which is a distinct possibility, don’t be surprised if Texas A&M OT Germain Ifedi gets pushed up the board. It’s difficult to envision anything other than the offensive line being the Seahawks top priority, although they could use some reinforcements at defensive tackle as well.

27. Green Bay Packers - April 20th
With the 27th pick in the 2016 SquaredCircle mock draft, the Green Bay Packers select:

Reggie Raland, LB, Alabama

Ragland's versatility is his strength. Given how much the Packers like to move their linebackers around, that's going to be key, but Ragland would probably spend most of his time inside to let Clay back outside. The Packers are in desperate need of an inside linebacker who is reliable, especially in coverage. Ragland has quite a resume, including first team all american, SEC DPOY and captain on an Alabama defense. He's exactly what the Packers need.

28. Kansas City Chiefs - April 21st
With the 28th pick in the 2016 SquaredCircle mock draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...

Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

If Doctson does indeed fall this far, I see no way he gets past KC. KC can still definitely use some WR help to complement Jeremy Maclin and to give Alex Smith more of an ability to get the ball down the field. Some teams have Doctson as the top receiver on their board. My guess is he'll be gone before this pick, but if not it's really a perfect fit for both Doctson and KC.

29. Arizona Cardinals - April 22nd
With the 29th pick in the 2016 Squaredcircle Draft, the Arizona Cardinal select.....

William Jackson III, CB, Houston

The Cardinals addressed their most glaring weakness by trading for Chandler Jones and upgrading the pass rush. As a result they won’t necessarily be locked into having to address a specific need with this choice and could simply opt for the proverbial “Best Player Available”. Arizona could use some help in the secondary though and Houston CB William Jackson III is arguably the best CB in this class outside Jalen Ramsey. Jackson is a former junior college transfer and a ballhawk in the secondary who notched 40 pass breakups and 8 interceptions in three seasons with the Cougars. Jackson is a playmaker who possesses the ideal height and length that you look for along with very good speed and a burst to close and recover. Jackson doesn’t get as much publicity as his counterparts at the position but don’t be surprised if he comes off the board earlier than expected and ahead of some much bigger names.

30. Carolina Panthers - April 23rd
With the 30th pick in the 2016 Squaredcircle Draft the Carolina Panthers select...

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

The Panthers boast one of the leagues premier sets of defensive tackles in Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short, but there are some long-term question marks on the outside. Youngster Kony Ealy appears on the verge of breaking out but a replacement for Charles Johnson will be needed sooner rather than later. Some see Clemson DE Shaq Lawson as a Top 10 overall pick but I think that is overly optimistic. Don’t get me wrong, Lawson is a very good, intense player with outstanding bulk and power, a wide array of pass rush moves and counters as well as a non-stop motor. There is plenty to like. With that said Lawson also lacks the ideal length that teams prefer, is not a dynamic threat bending off the edge and likely won’t be able to play on his feet at the next level due to some athletic limitations and stiffness in his movement skills. I certainly wouldn’t be shocked if Lawson came off the board earlier than this, but he isn’t going to be a fit for every team. Other areas of concern that the Panthers could look to address include right tackle and the secondary. Carolina has been linked to USC OLB Su’a Cravens as well, which makes sense since he is very much in the Thomas Davis / Shaq Thompson mold.

31. Denver Broncos - April 24th

With the 31st pick in the 2016 Squaredcircle Draft, the Denver Broncos select

Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

The reigning Super Bowl champs have suffered some big losses in free agency, most notably Brock Osweiler, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, David Bruton and Evan Mathis. Quarterback is obviously the most glaring need now that Peyton Manning has retired and his expected heir-apparent is no longer in the picture. The expectation is that the Broncos will target a veteran like Colin Kaepernick or Ryan Fitzpatrick to assume the starting role, although they will probably select a young developmental signal caller at some point. Assuming they have other plans under center John Elway will likely use this pick to re-stock the front seven of their dominant defense. Clemson DE Kevin Dodd was more or less an afterthought during his first three years in Death Valley before exploding for 23.5 tackles for a loss and 12.0 sacks this past season. Dodd was often overshadowed by Shaq Lawson but there are many who believe that with additional experience he may be a better pro than his former teammate. Physically Dodd has all of the basic tools you look for, including a large frame, excellent strength and above average athleticism. However, it’s the intangibles such as intensity, motor and instincts that really stand out with Dodd. Keep an eye on Hunter Henry of Arkansas too because head coach Gary Kubiak is known for utilizing the tight end and there are currently more questions than answers at the position.

*New England forfeit their 1st round pick as punishment for Deflategate*

Last edited by DBSoT on Apr 27, '16, 5:56 pm, edited 32 times in total.
DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 218

Re: 2016 Squared Circle NFL Mock Draft

Postby The Legend » Mar 25, '16, 10:08 am

I totally forgot about this year. Been a pretty crazy spring. I'll take the AFC North.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Mar 25, '16, 1:34 pm

I'll do NFC North and AFC West :tim

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Mar 26, '16, 8:50 am

Getting this in early so @Everlong can make his pick before Easter

With the second pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select...

Jared Goff, QB, Cal-Berkley

Yes, I realize the Browns just signed RGIII to a free agent contract. No, I don't think handing RGIII the keys to the kingdom uncontested would be a wise move for job security for Hue Jackson, Sashi Brown and Paul DePodesta. Yes, I realize Carson Wentz has become a much more popular pick than Goff to be the first QB taken, with most mock drafters picking here to be the spot that Wentz goes. No, I don't agree with those experts, I don't like pretty much any part of Wentz's game as much as Goff to me. I can't in good conscious force myself to make that pick, so I'm going with Jared Goff. The guy that I think is far and away the most likely QB to have a successful NFL career out of this bunch. After struggling to find one QB for so many years, the Browns will approach the next couple of years taking two options of #2 picks to try and maximize their chances of success.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Mar 26, '16, 9:18 am

I really wonder if the Browns will actually select Goff. This is the best opportunity they've had in quite some time to take a true top-of-the-line QB, so one would think they'd have to give it strong consideration. On the other hand, it's the Browns, and you have to wonder how committed they are to RGIII. I think Goff is probably the smart choice but I'm not even fully convinced he's a true NFL long-term starter. Guess we'll find out.

Get mine up in just a sec.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Everlong » Mar 26, '16, 9:22 am

With the third pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the San Diego Chargers select...

Jalen Ramsey, CB/S, Florida State

There are a lot of people who think Ramsey is a contender for the top overall pick, or that Cleveland could snag him at #2 if they're not settled on Goff. Regardless, I don't think there's any way he falls past #3. San Diego is in need of secondary help badly after losing Eric Weddle in free agency and playing relatively poor pass defense in 2015. This guy is supposed to be one of the best DB prospects to hit the draft in years, and should instantly make their defense better. This would be huge for San Diego... they can't continue to only rely on Philip Rivers to outscore the other tea.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Everlong » Mar 26, '16, 9:23 am

Also, no one has selected the NFC East yet, and the Cowboys are on the clock. Would one of ya'll be interested in taking this division?

@GNR
@Romo
@UTK
@Messiah
@Philip Rivers
@Xgamr
@CMPUNKFAN
@BSM
@JDD

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby The Legend » Mar 26, '16, 10:30 am

If no one takes the NFC East by Monday, I could take on a second division, but by all means if someone wants it, take it. I'd prefer it that way.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Mar 26, '16, 10:36 am

Everlong wrote:I really wonder if the Browns will actually select Goff. This is the best opportunity they've had in quite some time to take a true top-of-the-line QB, so one would think they'd have to give it strong consideration. On the other hand, it's the Browns, and you have to wonder how committed they are to RGIII. I think Goff is probably the smart choice but I'm not even fully convinced he's a true NFL long-term starter. Guess we'll find out.

Get mine up in just a sec.

I don't think they are that committed to RGIII. There's only 6.5 million guaranteed in a contract for a QB in 2016, that's basically not committed at all. Goff isn't a blue chip prospect, but less than blue chip prospects work out in the NFL on occasion. This would be the first time since 1999, the Browns would take the first QB taken in the draft.

The other thing that makes me think taking a QB is the smart thing to do is the true lack of a blue chip prospect at that spot to take. #2 overall would be really early to take a safety or a running back and after Tunsil, Ramsey and Elliott are the best players on either side of the ball. Joey Bosa would be an interesting prospect, but they run a 3-4 defense and Joey Bosa screams 4-3 defensive end to me in the NFL. I can't see him ever being asked to drop in coverage like a 3-4 OLB would be.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby CMPUNKFAN » Mar 26, '16, 10:48 am

Ill take the East

CMPUNKFAN Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 119

Postby xgamr » Mar 27, '16, 3:03 pm

what division is left over? I've been busy and ill try to manage making my pick

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby DBSoT » Mar 27, '16, 3:57 pm

xgamr wrote:what division is left over? I've been busy and ill try to manage making my pick
Open divisions are in the original post. @CMPUNKFAN It is your pick.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Mar 28, '16, 12:21 pm

I am taking the NFC West. This way we will be good until at least Saturday April 2nd.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Mar 29, '16, 8:08 am

@CMPUNKFAN you're still on the clock, your pick was yesterday.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby DBSoT » Mar 29, '16, 8:21 am

If the pick is not made by noon, I am going to make the next two picks myself.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Mar 29, '16, 12:58 pm

Updated. @The Legend, we are back to your pick tomorrow. @CMPUNKFAN, your next pick will be on April 1st.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Mar 30, '16, 5:35 am

With the sixth pick of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select...

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

It happens every year, somebody makes an unexpected pick that twists the draft and makes other teams make decisions they didn't think they'd have to make. I thought Stanley was a no-brainer for the Ravens and ultimately I decided for it to still be the pick, but the Jaguars choosing a surprise of DeForest Buckner and not Myles Jack made me think about it for Baltimore. That being said, the Ravens offensive line is not good, they've never really replaced Jonathan Ogden and while saying Stanley could be a HOFer is an over reach they can draft him and not worry about that tackle spot for a decade.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Apr 01, '16, 8:03 pm

@DBSOT

Do you have the pick for the Niners?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Apr 02, '16, 8:24 am

We're on the NFC South. Did @Messiah want in on this?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby DBSoT » Apr 05, '16, 3:02 pm

Should I scrap this? I haven't gotten the response I was expecting and we still don't have anyone picking for 2 divisions.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Next

Return to NFL