It is currently: May 04, '24, 2:29 am

Divisional Round Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Divisional Round Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Jan 14, '16, 8:42 am

Just a reminder:

3 points for correct pick
5 points for correct upset
Can get credit for unlimited upset

Last week, all four road teams took down the three and four seeds. Will there be any upsets to speak of this week? Here we go!

GAME OF THE WEEK – Sunday at 1:05 ET – Seattle Seahawks (11-6) at Carolina Panthers (15-1), CAR by 2.5 – The Panthers have come this far only to meet their kryptonite in the playoffs. They got over the proverbial hump by beating the Seahawks during the regular season, but that was a Seahawks team that had not yet gone on its late-season run. However, the Seahawks didn’t look particularly fearsome against Minnesota, and would have lost had it not been for an all-time blunder by the kicker and holder. I really want to pick Seattle here, but I just don’t think they are playing good enough football. Panthers 20, Seahawks 16

SATURDAY at 4:35 ET – Kansas City Chiefs (12-5) at New England Patriots (12-4), NE by 5 – Really tough pick here. The Patriots are the Patriots—you know what to expect out of them every year, even though they sort of stumbled into the postseason with some injuries. The Chiefs are playing incredible defense right now, and are the hottest team in the league. This is probably a horrible decision, but I’m going with the upset. UPSET! – Chiefs 27, Patriots 24

SATURDAY at 8:15 ET – Green Bay Packers (11-6) at Arizona Cardinals (13-3), ARZ by 7 – I’M SO PISSED BECAUSE I CAN’T SEE THIS GAME BECAUSE I HAVE A SHOW AND IT MAKES ME WANT TO MURDERRAGE. That being said, it’s really hard for me to pick against Arizona here. I think the Packers are much better prepared than the last time they went to Arizona, and are going to make a game of this, but in the end I think the Cardinals are just too good for Green Bay. Cardinals 30, Packers 20

SUNDAY at 4:40 ET – Pittsburgh Steelers (11-6) at Denver Broncos (12-4), DEN by 7 – Likely playing without Antonio Brown, it’s hard to give the Steelers much of a shot here. But you never know, I suppose. Broncos 20, Steelers 13

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Divisional Round Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Messiah » Jan 14, '16, 8:52 am

I'll cry if the Panthers don't smack the shit out of that smug Russell Wilson.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Jan 14, '16, 9:57 am

Messiah wrote:I'll cry if the Panthers don't smack the shit out of that smug Russell Wilson.

My gut is telling me Seahawks win, my brain is telling me Panthers. I really hope my brain wins out.

And again, can I just say FUCK THE VIKINGS for losing and forcing the Packers to play in the ONE timeslot all weekend that I can't watch?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby DBSoT » Jan 14, '16, 10:01 am

Carolina Panther over Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks are experienced and this should be the hardest test Cam Newton will face. However, Seattle can't pass block to save their lives and Wilson is going up against a tough secondary. This should be a good game that highlights two of the best young QBs in football.

Kansas City Chiefs over New England Patriots: It is amazing to me that a team on a 11 game winning streak is a 5 point underdog. That is the Patriot factor, I guess. With that said, the Chiefs are playing better then anyone right now and have the defense necessary to win this game. I would keep an eye on Maclin's health though.

Arizona Cardinals over Green Bay Packers: Green Bay was able to beat a Washington team that isn't quite ready for primetime. It was a good win and they clearly looked better then previous weeks. However, they still have a problem with pass blocking and Arizona won't have nearly the defensive issues that Washington did. This game will be closer then their previous encounter, but Arizona should still pull this one out by a touchdown or more.

Denver Broncos over Pittsburgh Steelers: I was prepared to take the upset in this game, but the Steelers just have way to many injuries. I am still recovering from seeing that Antonio Brown hit. Brown is out, Ben is playing at 80% at most, and DeAngelo Williams is a maybe. That is 70% of that teams regular season offense. It was going to be hard enough to score on Denver. Peyton won't have to do much to win this game. If you play daily fantasy, I advise picking a Denver RB (Hillman or Anderson).

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby HFX » Jan 14, '16, 6:49 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Sunday at 1:05 ET – Seattle Seahawks (11-6) at Carolina Panthers (15-1), CAR by 2.5 – UPSET!!! Seahawks 20, Panthers 17

SATURDAY at 4:35 ET – Kansas City Chiefs (12-5) at New England Patriots (12-4), NE by 5 – Patriots 30, Chiefs 27

SATURDAY at 8:15 ET – Green Bay Packers (11-6) at Arizona Cardinals (13-3), ARZ by 7 – Cardinals 36, Packers 23

SUNDAY at 4:40 ET – Pittsburgh Steelers (11-6) at Denver Broncos (12-4), DEN by 7 – UPSET!!! Steelers 16, Broncos 14

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby CMPUNKFAN » Jan 14, '16, 7:08 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Sunday at 1:05 ET – Seattle Seahawks (11-6) at Carolina Panthers (15-1), CAR by 2.5 – UPSET!!! Seahawks 24 Panthers 20

SATURDAY at 4:35 ET – Kansas City Chiefs (12-5) at New England Patriots (12-4), NE by 5 – UPSET!!! Chiefs 24 Patriots 23

SATURDAY at 8:15 ET – Green Bay Packers (11-6) at Arizona Cardinals (13-3), ARZ by 7 – Cardinals 35 Packers 24

SUNDAY at 4:40 ET – Pittsburgh Steelers (11-6) at Denver Broncos (12-4), DEN by 7 – Broncos 27 Steelers 21

CMPUNKFAN Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 119

Postby EmperorWu » Jan 15, '16, 5:53 am

Seahawks
Chiefs
Cardinals
Broncos

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby The Legend » Jan 15, '16, 9:31 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Sunday at 1:05 ET – Seattle Seahawks (11-6) at Carolina Panthers (15-1), CAR by 2.5 – The Seahawks are the least deserving winners of a playoff game in the entire history of the NFL. I mean they had a good couple year run, but are playing terrible football right now and I'm not sure I see it getting better any time soon considering how the NFL continues to evolve. I mean there were only three plays in the entire game where they beat the Vikings, otherwise Minnesota totally controlled the tempo and momentum of the game. If it weren't for the ridiculous playground scramble bomb after the snap over the head, Peterson's fumble and the worst field goal attempt of all time I'm not sure if Seattle scores in that game. Now they face arguably the best team in the playoffs? No chance. The style both teams like to employ will be the only thing that keeps this relatively close. Carolina Panthers 24, Seattle Seahawks 20

SATURDAY at 4:35 ET – Kansas City Chiefs (12-5) at New England Patriots (12-4), NE by 5 – This is the most intriguing game of the weekend to me. It's the best of the bunch for sure. The Chiefs are the hottest team in the NFL. The only one who entered the field without their play in December raising serious questions. The Patriots are the Patriots in the playoffs no matter what they looked like in the regular season. All winning streaks come to an end at some point which is why I'm leery of teams entering the postseason on runs like this. I don't think this game will break down like a typical playoff game, expect this one to be a hard fought slugfest. NE Patriots 17, KC Chiefs 14

SATURDAY at 8:15 ET – Green Bay Packers (11-6) at Arizona Cardinals (13-3), ARZ by 7 – In addition to Tim not being able to watch this game, Packer fans should be upset that the Vikings lost because avoiding the Cardinals for as long as possible would only increase Green Bay's playoff odds. I've said for a while that the winner of this game would represent the NFC in the Super Bowl and I won't back off that now, but Arizona is a horrible match for the Packers right now. Arizona Cardinals 31, GB Packers 24

SUNDAY at 4:40 ET – Pittsburgh Steelers (11-6) at Denver Broncos (12-4), DEN by 7 – Yeah, Antonio Brown will miss the game with a concussion. And Big Drama Queen Diva says his shoulder has a boo boo. I've watched him long enough to know he's not really hurt and he'll unleash it against Denver this week. I've seen enough Steeler Super Bowl runs to know what they look like even when it doesn't seem likely.

As for people talking about the Steelers being victims of thuggary, they clearly have a short memory, because it was a Steeler LB that threatened to shoot Vontaze Burfict on sight and to paint the town with his blood that started this rivalry in the first place. I'd probably react the same way Burfict did. Not to mention two assistant coaches acting totally unprofessionally in the game, the NFL should banish both of them instead of Burfict. Oh and Ryan Shazier hitting Gio Bernard with a much more vicious hit than Burfict did Brown that didn't even get a flag, let alone the flag for dancing around like a fool while Bernard lay on the field. And one last thing, a Steeler supporter that is crucifying Vontaze Burfict this week, better have never cheered James Harrison once in his career because Harrison was a far bigger thug than Burfict could ever hope to be.UPSET!!! Shittsburgh Squeelers 21, Denver Broncos 20

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby DBSoT » Jan 15, '16, 9:59 am

As for people talking about the Steelers being victims of thuggary, they clearly have a short memory, because it was a Steeler LB that threatened to shoot Vontaze Burfict on sight and to paint the town with his blood that started this rivalry in the first place. I'd probably react the same way Burfict did. Not to mention two assistant coaches acting totally unprofessionally in the game, the NFL should banish both of them instead of Burfict. Oh and Ryan Shazier hitting Gio Bernard with a much more vicious hit than Burfict did Brown that didn't even get a flag, let alone the flag for dancing around like a fool while Bernard lay on the field. And one last thing, a Steeler supporter that is crucifying Vontaze Burfict this week, better have never cheered James Harrison once in his career because Harrison was a far bigger thug than Burfict could ever hope to be.

Wow, so much to process here. The few things I agree with are that Shazier's hit was worst and that Harrison is an historical thug player. The one I completely disagree with is the Burfict response to a player saying he would shoot him on sight. First off I have never heard about this statement, but lets assume you are correct. A random LB on the Steelers threatens Burfict, so his response is to take out someone who had nothing to do with it? Really? You can't justify targeting someones head just because some other moron on the team said something. Burfict is also an asshole, going back to when he was in college. This isn't some new revelation. He dropped 6 ROUNDS in the draft because of it. I know you hate the Steelers, but come on now. Burfict is an asshole, Pac Man Jones is an idiot, and the Bengals tossed that game away.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Jan 15, '16, 11:33 am

This tweet is from Vince Williams, a Steelers backup LB that is never on the field, let alone at the same time as Burfict. This tweet and the fact that the NFL did nothing about it is what started the pre-game brawl the last time these two teams faced each other in the regular season. When Burfict tried to call him out on it, other Steelers rushed to his defense which is what started the brawl.

Oh, and let's not forget that Joey Porter should have been nowhere near the field when he baited that ridiculous penalty against Pacman that should have been at worst a double penalty and realistically been a Steelers' only penalty turning what turned into a 35-yard field goal either a 50 or 65-yard field goal attempt and totally changed the game. The Bengals didn't throw the game away, the referees handed yet another game to Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/13/blandino-acknowledges-porter-shouldnt-have-been-on-the-field/

Burfict might be an asshole, but in this case he's certainly not alone and in reality he hit Brown with his shoulder which should be perfectly fine. Also, screw Antonio Brown, that thug Karate Kid finally got his.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby DBSoT » Jan 15, '16, 4:42 pm

^ I don't want to get into the debate about whether he intended to kick anyone or not, but as someone who has actually interacted with Antonio Brown. I can assure you he is in no way a thug. He is actually one of the most genuinely nice people I met in college.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 15, '16, 10:21 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Sunday at 1:05 ET – Seattle Seahawks (11-6) at Carolina Panthers (15-1), CAR by 2.5 – CAROLINA

SATURDAY at 4:35 ET – Kansas City Chiefs (12-5) at New England Patriots (12-4), NE by 5 – NEW ENGLAND

SATURDAY at 8:15 ET – Green Bay Packers (11-6) at Arizona Cardinals (13-3), ARZ by 7 – UPSET!! GREEN BAY

SUNDAY at 4:40 ET – Pittsburgh Steelers (11-6) at Denver Broncos (12-4), DEN by 7 – DENVER

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby xgamr » Jan 16, '16, 6:52 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Sunday at 1:05 ET – Seattle Seahawks (11-6) at Carolina Panthers (15-1), CAR by 2.5 – Panthers

SATURDAY at 4:35 ET – Kansas City Chiefs (12-5) at New England Patriots (12-4), NE by 5 – UPSET Chiefs

SATURDAY at 8:15 ET – Green Bay Packers (11-6) at Arizona Cardinals (13-3), ARZ by 7 – Cardinals

SUNDAY at 4:40 ET – Pittsburgh Steelers (11-6) at Denver Broncos (12-4), DEN by 7 – Broncos

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby JDD » Jan 16, '16, 9:14 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Sunday at 1:05 ET – Seattle Seahawks (11-6) at Carolina Panthers (15-1), CAR by 2.5 – Panthers

SATURDAY at 4:35 ET – Kansas City Chiefs (12-5) at New England Patriots (12-4), NE by 5 – UPSET Chiefs

SATURDAY at 8:15 ET – Green Bay Packers (11-6) at Arizona Cardinals (13-3), ARZ by 7 – Cardinals

SUNDAY at 4:40 ET – Pittsburgh Steelers (11-6) at Denver Broncos (12-4), DEN by 7 – Broncos

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby RatedRBowler » Jan 16, '16, 10:02 am

Panthers > Seahawks
Chiefs > Patriots UPSET!!
Packers > Cardinals UPSET!!!
Broncos > Steelers

PACKERS/CHIEFS SUPER BOWL REMATCH HYPE LIVES BABY!!!!!!!!

GO PACK GO!!!!!!!

Thanks to Tim for both of my awesome sigs!!
RatedRBowler Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 4

Postby BSM » Jan 16, '16, 12:33 pm

Panthers
Chiefs. UPSET!
Cardinals
Broncos

BSM Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 3

Return to NFL