It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:02 am

Super Bowl LIII Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Super Bowl LIII Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Jan 29, '19, 7:12 pm

I can't believe it's already the last game of the season! Feels like they go by faster every single year.

And so it comes down to the annual Tom Brady Invitational. Will the rams win, or will the Patriots hog more hardware?

SUPER BOWL LIII - New England Patriots (13-5) vs. Los Angeles Rams (15-3), NE by 2.5 - It's so hard to pick against the Belichick/Brady Patriots in the Super Bowl. Even though this is, on paper, one of the weaker teams of theirs that's ever made the big game (easily the weakest since 2011), there's just something about them, some kind of mystique, that makes them a sort of juggernaut.

I'd love to see the Rams win. I'm sure most of America would. But I have a feeling that this is going to be an extremely close contest.

The Rams do have many of the ingredients needed to beat Brady. They can rush the passer well without blitzing, especially up the middle, with Aaron Donald. In the Patriots' three Super Bowl losses, an up-the-center pass rush with just four men was crucial to victory. That being said, the Rams underperform on the back end of the defense despite having a talented secondary, so if the Patriots are able to pick up the pass rush, Brady could feast. Expect another Super Bowl with a whole lot of James White, who will probably get 10 or more catches.

On the other side of the ball, the Patriots have played below their normal standard on defense this year, which means they're certainly vulnerable. The Rams have plenty of offensive weapons to spread the ball around and beat the Patriots in different ways. i like the matchup of the Rams offense against the Patriots defense better than I like the matchup of the Patriots offense against the Rams defense.

On paper, this has the look of a Rams win. But nothing about the Patriots ever goes like you'd expect it to on paper. I'm going with another Brady/Belichick title, because God is dead and we killed him. Patriots 31, Rams 28

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Super Bowl LIII Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Jan 30, '19, 11:22 am

SUPER BOWL LIII - New England Patriots (13-5) vs. Los Angeles Rams (15-3), NE by 2.5 - Seeing the Patriots in the Super Bowl undoubtedly gets old, but the interesting fact of that is New England has taken part in some of the most entertaining, competitive and fascinating Super Bowls in the sport's history and this matchup with the Rams should be no different.

The Rams have the defensive line and the pass rush to get after Brady as well as any team can right now, even with as quickly as he gets rid of the ball, but can they avoid selling out the run defense in their pursuit of Brady? Stopping Sony Michel and that run game might be more important than stopping Brady, LA's secondary has some troubling spots, but if they can keep everything in front of them and make Brady and Co. dink and dunk down the field, some red zone stops could be possible.

On the other side of the ball, running will be paramount again. Everything the Rams do is based off play action passing, which means Gurley and Anderson will need to get the ground game going so that Goff can take advantage of the schemes that McVay came up with to attack this defense, which is particularly susceptible to the play action pass.

In the end, I think this game could come down to the final possession and who can make a stop or score the winning TD. Just to be different from Tim I'll go with the Rams to make the play. LA Rams 28, NE Patriots 27

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Return to NFL