It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 4:57 am

Divisional Playoff Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Divisional Playoff Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Jan 09, '19, 7:39 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – SUNDAY at 1:05 EST - Los Angeles Chargers (13-4) at New England Patriots (11-5), NE by 4 – This game is like a throwback to mid-2000s playoff football… and both the quarterbacks are still there! Believe it or not, Philip Rivers and the Chargers have never beaten the Patriots with Tom Brady (they beat them with Matt Cassel in 2008). This might be the best opportunity they’ve ever had to beat that streak, and in the playoffs no less. And you know what? I think they’re going to do it. There’s nothing scary about this Patriots team this year—they’re solid, but not special, and I don’t think anybody’s terrified of playing them like they would have been in playoffs past. This Chargers team is better on both sides of the ball, and while they’ve got to go on the road to make it happen, I think they finally beat their boogeyman and move on to the AFC Championship. UPSET! – Chargers 27, Patriots 24

Indianapolis Colts (11-6) at Kansas City Chiefs (12-4), SATURDAY at 4:35 EST, KC by 5.5 – The last time these two teams met in the postseason was one of the craziest games in NFL history, finishing 45-44 with an insane Indianapolis comeback to win. I think this game won’t be quite as high scoring, but should also be a close contest. The Colts don’t have the firepower the Chiefs have, but their defense is significantly better than Kansas City’s and shot at least help to keep this one within winnable range. But the Chiefs have a real shot at the Super Bowl for the first time in a long, long time, and Arrowhead is going to be rocking for this one. I’ve got them taking on the Chargers in what’ll be a heated AFC title game. Chiefs 28, Colts 24

Dallas Cowboys (11-6) at Los Angeles Rams (13-3), SATURDAY at 8:15 EST, LAR by 7 – This is going to be an interesting one, and a big test for the Rams, who have had some difficulties against elite defensive units this year. But when it comes down to it, I just don’t think the Cowboys have the offensive potency to match with the Rams, even if they’re able to avoid a massive explosion of points. Rams 30, Cowboys 20

Philadelphia Eagles (10-7) at New Orleans Saints (14-2), SUNDAY at 4:40 EST, NO by 8 – I had the Eagles going into Chicago and winning last week, but this week I’m not as solid on their chances. The Saints are a better team with a much better offense and have a much better homefield advantage than Chicago does. I think the repeat dream ends for the defending champs this week. Saints 33, Eagles 20

Tha’tll set up Chiefs/Chargers and Rams/Saints for the championship games, which would give us a pretty damn fresh Super Bowl. Looking forward to it!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Divisional Playoff Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Jan 10, '19, 11:27 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – SUNDAY at 1:05 EST - Los Angeles Chargers (13-4) at New England Patriots (11-5), NE by 4 – This game makes me feel uneasy. I mean when you look at it, the Chargers have better weapons on offense, a better defense, play better along the lines and have a veteran leader on the field in Philip Rivers, who is capable of matching Tom Brady. Still, the Patriots are 12-3 with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in their first playoff game throughout the team's history. So, the Patriots could turn things up a notch and get the win, but something tells me they are ripe for the picking right now and the Chargers, who have gone 7-1 away from southern California this year are just the team to get the win. UPSET!! LA Chargers 21, NE Patriots 20

Indianapolis Colts (11-6) at Kansas City Chiefs (12-4), SATURDAY at 4:35 EST, KC by 5.5 – This game is another one that is difficult to predict. The Chiefs historically have struggled mightily in the postseason, Andy Reid has a history of choking in big games and Kansas City has already lost three high profile games. Add in the Colts are red hot and Andrew Luck is certainly capable of carving up the Chiefs secondary. Still, the Chiefs have plenty of fire power and could easily win a shootout where whoever gets the ball last wins. Kansas City has struggled since losing Kareem Hunt to suspension and in an improbably turn of events, I have both wild card teams making the AFC Championship game. UPSET!! Indy Colts 37, KC Chiefs 34

Dallas Cowboys (11-6) at Los Angeles Rams (13-3), SATURDAY at 8:15 EST, LAR by 7 – I had the Cowboys winning last week at home, where they have been nearly unbeatable. Unfortunately for Dallas, they are now out of the state of Texas for the rest of the season, where they have been downright terrible. The Rams offense showed signs of getting back on track at the end of the season and that should continue here. LA Rams 20, Dallas Cowboys 14

Philadelphia Eagles (10-7) at New Orleans Saints (14-2), SUNDAY at 4:40 EST, NO by 8 – The Eagles showed up last week with another dose of playoff magic to defeat the Bears. Philly is a weird team that somehow is better with Nick Foles, a worse QB, than they are with a near MVP candidate type of QB like Carson Wentz. Still, I feel like all the Eagles win did last week was deprive us of a great playoff game between Chicago and LA this week. Saints should roll in the biggest blowout of the weekend. NO Saints 38, Philly Eagles 20

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Return to NFL