It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 6:41 am

Wild Card Weekend Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Wild Card Weekend Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Jan 02, '19, 10:48 am

WILD CARD ROUND

As you can tell, I haven’t really been tallying scores much this year, mostly because I think John and I are the only two who would even come close to qualifying for the end-of-year tally. Such is life on an dying message board :lol

But, in case the two of us decide to go back and tally up our season total, I will remind you that this week’s correct predictions are worth three, correct upsets are worth five, for a maximum potential total of 20 (no upset limit). This scoring system will be the same next week.

Here we go:

GAME OF THE WEEK – SUNDAY at 4:40 EST – Philadelphia Eagles (9-7) at Chicago Bears (12-4), CHI by 6 – All four matchups this weekend are really intriguing to me, and it’s actually the one with the biggest point spread that I’m most interested in. This is going to be a big test for the Bears. They get to play at home in the final game of the weekend, and it’s the franchise’s first playoff game in eight years. Not a lot of postseason experience on this squad. How will they handle the pressure? The Eagles had a rough start to the year, but they showed a TON of fight in battling back to the playoffs, and they are the defending champions. They know what they need to do to go the distance, and they’re playing on the road the whole way there. I’m going to be fascinated to see how this one plays out. I’m going to be boring and say Chicago by a field goal is able to win this one in a grueling defensive battle, but I could really see the Eagles pulling off the upset here, too. Bears 16, Eagles 13

SATURDAY at 4:35 EST – Indianapolis Colts (10-6) at Houston Texans (11-5), HOU by 1.5 – Divisional battles are always hard to predict in the playoffs. Both games this year between the two teams featured the road team winning by a field goal, which is good news for the Colts this weekend. The Colts are coming in with a little more momentum than the Texans, who lost a couple games in the month of December, but when all else seems equal in a divisional game in the playoffs, I’m going to go with the home team. Should be a fun one to kick things off this weekend. Texans 24, Colts 20

SATURDAY at 8:15 EST – Seattle Seahawks (10-6) at Dallas Cowboys (10-6), DAL by 1.5 – Dallas got to the playoffs largely on the strength of its defense, but its season really turned around after the Amari Cooper trade. Meanwhile, Seattle defied all odds to get to this point, and it’s really hard for me to pick against them in the postseason. I’m going to take the Seahawks in a minor upset. UPSET! – Seahawks 23, Cowboys 17

SUNDAY at 1:05 EST – Los Angeles Chargers (12-4) at Baltimore Ravens (10-6), BAL by 2.5 It’s been one hell of a turnaround this season for the Ravens, ever since inserting Lamar Jackson into the starting lineup. Its defense has also been playing hellacious football. These two teams did meet just a couple weeks ago, with the Ravens delivering a highly impressive performance, shutting down the Chargers’ offense and ending any longshot hopes of a Philip Rivers MVP award. But I think things go differently this time around, now that the Chargers have a little bit better of an idea of what they’re up against. A win by Los Angeles sets up a date with Kansas City in the divisional round that should be a heck of a game. That being said, if the Ravens do manage to pull off the win, I will be fascinated to see if they’re able to take down the Chiefs and/or Patriots. A Super Bowl run for this team would have to be one of the most unlikely runs in recent memory, but they have the defense to pull it off. UPSET! – Chargers 20, Ravens 16

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Wild Card Weekend Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Jan 02, '19, 11:50 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – SUNDAY at 4:40 EST – Philadelphia Eagles (9-7) at Chicago Bears (12-4), CHI by 6 – Philly was able to capture the final wildcard in the NFC, but that almost felt like because nobody else wanted it. Carolina and Washington fell apart, Minnesota was disengaged, in the end the Eagles played strong down the stretch and feel kinda like they might have some magic left, but Chicago is just too good. The Bears are a true contender in the NFC and I think they take care of business at home for this first playoff game. Chicago Bears 31, Philly Eagles 24

SATURDAY at 4:35 EST – Indianapolis Colts (10-6) at Houston Texans (11-5), HOU by 1.5 – When Houston hits its stride they are as good and balanced as any team in the AFC, however they have been very tempermental this season and I just don't feel like I can trust them fully. Andrew Luck is running away and hiding with Comeback Player of the Year and his run with the Colts will extend one more week. UPSET!! Indy Colts 28, Houston Texans 27

SATURDAY at 8:15 EST – Seattle Seahawks (10-6) at Dallas Cowboys (10-6), DAL by 1.5 – There was a point in the season where it looked like Dallas would enter the postseason purely based on default that someone had to make it out of the NFC East, but in the end they became a dangerous team with a great defense and Amari Cooper balancing what Zeke brings to the offense. Seattle is also a team built on defense and a strong running game. Both these teams are also similar in that they are mostly great at home and they are generally poor on the road. Because of that, I'll take the Cowboys to take the win. Dallas Cowboys 16, Seattle Seahawks 14

SUNDAY at 1:05 EST – Los Angeles Chargers (12-4) at Baltimore Ravens (10-6), BAL by 2.5 - The Ravens have certainly gotten better since switching to Lamar Jackson at QB, but something tells me that they won't be able to sustain that success in January when only good teams are around. I'll also be fascinated to see what the Chargers change up this time around. UPSET!! LA Chargers 21, Baltimore Ravens 20

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Jan 02, '19, 1:40 pm

The Legend wrote:Andrew Luck is running away and hiding with Comeback Player of the Year

Brah JJ Watt though!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Jan 02, '19, 4:15 pm

Everlong wrote:
The Legend wrote:Andrew Luck is running away and hiding with Comeback Player of the Year

Brah JJ Watt though!

JJ Watt for Comeback Player is like Saquon for Offensive Rookie, it's about the quarterback, dammit.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Jan 04, '19, 11:09 am

My bad guys for all the missed weeks life's been hectic :lol

BUT I'M HERE TO GUARANTEE THE SUPER BOWL WILL BE THE LOS ANGELES CHARGERS VS NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Philip Rivers v Drew Brees is a dream scenario.

Chargers vs Ravens
Bears vs Eagles
Colts vs Texans
Seahawks vs Cowboys

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Return to NFL