It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 4:40 am

Week 16 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 16 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Dec 18, '18, 3:04 pm

Two weeks to go in the regular season. A whopping SEVEN teams were officially eliminated from playoff contention this past week, and one of them was NOT the Browns (though they have ridiculously tiny odds and need at least one tie thanks to the Steelers).

Here’s what we’ve got in store for this week of football. No more Thursday Night Football, ya’ll!

GAME OF THE WEEK – SATURDAY NIGHT - Baltimore Ravens (8-6) at Los Angeles Chargers (11-3), LAC by 4.5 – Big game in the AFC. The Chargers can keep the pressure on the Chiefs in the AFC West with a big win here at home. The Ravens are in a logjam for a wild card spot right now, and are also right behind the Steelers for their division title. A win over a real contender like the Chargers could make a lot of people believers. Expect to see a real slobberknocker in this one, but ultimately the quarterback position is going to be what makes the difference. Looking forward to this game. Chargers 27, Ravens 20

SATURDAY AFTERNOON – Washington (7-7) at Tennessee Titans (8-6), TEN by 10 – The Titans are yet another team that’s in the thick of the wild card race in the AFC. They’re also on a winning streak and may be peaking at the right time. Washington got a much-needed win to stay alive last week but playing on the road against a hot Titans team they’re probably overmatched. Titans 23, Washington 13

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-9) at Dallas Cowboys (8-6), DAL by 7 – Woof. The Cowboys got shut out for the first time in something like 16 years this past week, and it did not do anything to make people think they are a legit contender in the NFC. They get to clean things up this week against a Bucs team that’s ready to roll over, but don’t let these Cowboys trick you into thinking they’re anything more than a one-and-done playoff team. Cowboys 20, Bucs 17

Buffalo Bills (5-9) at New England Patriots (9-5), NE by 12.5 – This will be the first time since 2009—the first time this DECADE—that the Patriots do not finish the regular season with at least 12 wins. Crazy. Patriots 27, Bills 17

Atlanta Falcons (5-9) at Carolina Panthers (6-8), CAR by 4 – The Panthers have the opportunity to become the first team in NFL history to go 6-10 after a 6-2 start. Teams that start 6-2 have made the playoffs more than two thirds of the time in the current 12-team format. UPSET! – Falcons 26, Panthers 20

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-10) at Miami Dolphins (7-7), MIA by 4.5 – Meanwhile, the Jaguars could become just the third team in NFL history to go 4-12 after going 12-4 the previous season. The last team to do it was the 2014 Falcons. The Dolphins are horrifyingly average, but the Jaguars have given up on the season. Dolphins 20, Jaguars 9

New York Giants (5-9) at Indianapolis Colts (8-6), IND By 1 – The Colts have sort of come out of nowhere after a rough start to the season. They’re getting hot at the right time (much like the Titans are in their own division) and could very well find themselves playing in January for the first time in several years. The Giants will give a fight, but it won’t be enough. Colts 27, Giants 23

Houston Texans (10-4) at Philadelphia Eagles (7-7), PHI by 1 – No team from Houston (Texans or Oilers) has ever beaten the Eagles, but if the Texans pull it off this week they are one step closer to sealing up an all-important first round bye. They’ll have to take down an Eagles team that looked much more the part of defending champs against the Rams in Week 15, and in Philadelphia no less. But If they’re going to be taken seriously in the playoffs, this is the kind of game they need to be able to win. UPSET! – Texans 27, Eagles 24

Minnnesota Vikings (7-6-1) at Detroit Lions (5-9), MIN by 5.5 – I can’t figure the Vikings out. Vikings 24, Lions 16

Green Bay Packers (5-8-1) at New York Jets (4-10), NYJ by 1 – The Packers suck so much that they’re underdogs to a 4-10 Jets team quarterbacked by a rookie. Jets 23, Packers 20

Cincinnati Bengals (6-8) at Cleveland Browns (6-7-1), CLE by 7 – Fuck it, even if the Browns aren’t going to make the playoffs I’d love to see them win out, get their first winning record in 11 years and give Cleveland something to be excited about heading into next season. Browns 30, Bengals 20

Los Angeles Rams (11-3) at Arizona Cardinals (3-11), LAR by 14 – This game is just what the doctor ordered for the suddenly struggling Rams. Rams 34, Cardinals 10

Chicago Bears (9-5) at San Francisco 49ers (4-10), CHI by 4 – A well-earned division championship for the Bears is in the books. They’re basically out of the running for a bye, but don’t expect them to let up for a second. Bears 26, 49ers 17

Pittsburgh Steelers (8-5-1) at New Orleans Saints (12-2), NO by 6 – The Saints haven’t looked great in recent weeks, but they just keep winning. The Steelers always play to the level of their opponents, but on the road in New Orleans inside a dome isn’t exactly their cup of tea. Saints 31, Steelers 27

Kansas City Chiefs (11-3) at Seattle Seahawks (8-6), KC by 2.5 – The Seahawks probably need one more victory to really feel comfortable about their playoff chances, but it’s going to be a hard one to get this weekend, as they take on a Chiefs team that is going to be looking to make a statement after collapsing at home against the Chargers. Chiefs 33, Seahawks 20

CHRISTMAS EVE - Denver Broncos (6-8) at Oakland Raiders (3-11), DEN by 2.5 – Bold prediction of the week: the Broncos lose to clinch their first back-to-back losing seasons in decades, prompting John Elway to fire Vance Joseph on Monday. UPSET! – Raiders 24, Broncos 20

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 16 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Dec 18, '18, 10:24 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – SATURDAY NIGHT - Baltimore Ravens (8-6) at Los Angeles Chargers (11-3), LAC by 4.5 – A huge game no doubt. Baltimore has been rolling along with Lamar Jackson at the helm, but there are legitimate questions about how long an offense in the NFL can thrive with the style and lack of balance being played by the Ravens. The Chargers will serve as a tough test for that offense. Los Angeles is trying to win the division and I personally would find it fun if the road to the Super Bowl in the AFC drove through the miniature Stubhub Center. I'm holding playoff hopes for my Browns as long as I can, which means the Chargers need to win this one. LA Chargers 27, Baltimore Ravens 23

SATURDAY AFTERNOON – Washington (7-7) at Tennessee Titans (8-6), TEN by 10 – Speaking of the Browns' playoff hopes, among other things, they come down to a team quarterbacked by Josh Johnson. Washington got a big last week and Tennessee has been rolling along. The thing about the Titans is once they look consistent they break trend and disappoint. In reality Tennessee is probably going to win this one, but I'm going upset anyhow. UPSET!! Washington 21, Tennessee Titans 17

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-9) at Dallas Cowboys (8-6), DAL by 7 – Dallas suffered a setback last week for sure, but I'm not sure that it changes my opinion on them that much. It was just more of an emotional letdown after beating the Saints and the Eagles in the previous two weeks. That's a lot of emotion and effort they poured out those two games. They get back on track against Tampa and could still be a problem for the Seahawks in the first round. Dallas Cowboys 31, TB Buccaneers 28

Buffalo Bills (5-9) at New England Patriots (9-5), NE by 12.5 – New England is on an actual losing streak after losing back-to-back games, that streak is going to get snapped this week against Buffalo. That being said, who the hell do people actually trust in the AFC? I'll be damned if I can figure it out. NE Patriots 24, Buffalo Bills 14

Atlanta Falcons (5-9) at Carolina Panthers (6-8), CAR by 4 – It's so hard to figure out what to make of the Panthers right now. I think they will have enough to survive against the Falcons. EDIT: Everything I said is useless if Cam doesn't play. UPSET!! Atlanta Falcons 33, Carolina Panthers 17

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-10) at Miami Dolphins (7-7), MIA by 4.5 – We are back to the whole, get the Browns to the playoffs push. With that, expect the Jaguars to pull off the road upset against a Miami team that isn't particularly good and is starting to get more banged up. UPSET!! Jacksonville Jaguars 14, Miami Dolphins 13

New York Giants (5-9) at Indianapolis Colts (8-6), IND By 1 – And yet again. The Giants are going to pull off this upset, simply because Browns fans deserve it. On a more serious note, when you look at the Ravens, Colts and Titans, Indy is the team that most deserves the postseason and would be most likely to be able to do some damage once they got there. UPSET!! NY Giants 30, Indy Colts 17

Houston Texans (10-4) at Philadelphia Eagles (7-7), PHI by 1 – The Texans might be the team that is the most dangerous in the AFC come January. They continue to roll along, meanwhile Philly goes back and forth on being a contender or pretender from week-to-week. UPSET!! Houston Texans 31, Philly Eagles 14

Minnnesota Vikings (7-6-1) at Detroit Lions (5-9), MIN by 5.5 – Detroit could easily win this game if the Vikings falter again. That being said, the offense now that it has been removed from the weight of John DeFilippo on it looked mighty good in Minnesota. Hopefully, I can ride Dalvin Cook and Adam Thielen to a fantasy football championship this weekend. Minnesota Vikings 24, Detroit Lions 20

Green Bay Packers (5-8-1) at New York Jets (4-10), NYJ by 1 – Two teams that nobody should have any faith in, but one of them has to win. For my money I'm still going to trust Aaron Rodgers more than Sam Darnold. UPSET!! GB Packers 21, NY Jets 18

Cincinnati Bengals (6-8) at Cleveland Browns (6-7-1), CLE by 7 – This game has lots of intrigue. For one Cleveland is still looking for its first winning season since Joe Thomas' rookie year and needs to win out to get there. For another, I would guess that the Bengals will be looking for revenge after what happened happened in Cincy about a month ago. Finally, if the Ravens or Titans win on Saturday Cleveland might come out flat, knowing it can't make the playoffs. Still I'll roll with the Browns. Cleveland Browns 27, Cincy Bengals 24

Los Angeles Rams (11-3) at Arizona Cardinals (3-11), LAR by 14 – The Rams offense should have no trouble getting back on track against the Cardinals. LA Rams 24, Arizona Cardinals 10

Chicago Bears (10-4) at San Francisco 49ers (4-10), CHI by 4 – The Niners are suddenly hot, ending the playoff hopes of two teams the last two weeks, now they get the Bears. Chicago won't slip up as they are still chasing a bye if the Rams drop another game again. Chicago Bears 31, SF Niners 27

Pittsburgh Steelers (8-5-1) at New Orleans Saints (12-2), NO by 6 – Fuck the Squeelers, the Saints get the job done that the Patriots should have been able to do last week. NO Saints 28, Pittsburgh Steelers 24

Kansas City Chiefs (11-3) at Seattle Seahawks (8-6), KC by 2.5 – Tough game for Seattle, who could find themselves fighting for a playoff spot depending on if a few other teams pull out a victory. I think the Chiefs will manage to win this game, because it's not one of their biggest challenges of the season. KC Chiefs 31, Seattle Seahawks 21

CHRISTMAS EVE - Denver Broncos (6-8) at Oakland Raiders (3-11), DEN by 2.5 – Who cares? Denver Broncos 34, Oakland Raiders 31

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Return to NFL