It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 4:05 am

Week 14 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 14 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Dec 04, '18, 7:08 pm

Week 14, down to the nitty gritty! Here we go!

GAME OF THE WEEK – Los Angeles Rams (11-1) at Chicago Bears (8-4), LAR by 3 – This is a matchup I’ve been interested in seeing for a while, because it could tell us what to expect out of both these teams in the postseason. So far the Rams have only been challenged by teams capable of putting a lot of points on the board. Will the Bears be able to slow them down with their tenacious defense? The Bears are very close to clinching a highly unlikely division title, and a win here would be massive for them, but not particularly necessary. I’m going to take the Rams, but expect this to be a really interesting game. Rams 30, Bears 20

THURSDAY NIGHT – Jacksonville Jaguars (4-8) at Tennessee Titans (6-6), TEN by 4.5 – Boy, who’d have expected the Jaguars to be last in the division going into week 14 this year? What a crazy fall from last season. The Titans have been maddeningly inconsistent, and I expect that to continue this week. But still, playing at home on a short week in a divisional matchup is too much for them to blow, I think. Titans 19, Jaguars 16

Baltimore Ravens (7-5) at Kansas City Chiefs (10-2), KC by 7.5 – The Ravens are now only a half game out of first place in their division, thanks to the slip ups by Pittsburgh, but unfortunately they’re traveling to Kansas City and have had injuries to their top two quarterbacks. Gonna be tough to pull this one off. Chiefs 34, Ravens 17

Indianapolis Colts (6-6) at Houston Texans (9-3), HOU by 4.5 – The Texans can clinch a division title if they win their 10th straight game this week. They’re currently the hottest team in the NFL. The Colts, however, have had a good couple months as well. They had a pretty pathetic showing against Jacksonville this past week, but if they recapture the magic they can at least make this game interesting. Texans 24, Colts 19

Carolina Panthers (6-6) at Cleveland Browns (4-7-1), CAR by 1 – Boy, what the hell has happened to the Panthers? This seems like another upset special with the Panthers being unable to win a game and the Browns playing feisty football. UPSET! – Browns 27, Panthers 24

Atlanta Falcons (4-8) at Green Bay Packers (4-7-1), GB by 6 – Two of the most disappointing teams in the NFL facing off in a meaningless game at Lambeau Field. Hard to believe the Packers are favored, let alone by 6 points, but perhaps the post-coach-firing buzz will propel them to a victory? I’m not going to count on it. UPSET! – Falcons 33, Packers 16

New Orleans Saints (10-2) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-7), NO by 8 – Weird slip up for the Saints this week, while the Bucs shocked the Panthers to pick up a big win. The Bus are basically playing spoiler at this point, but they’ve already beaten the Saints once this year. Why not again? That being said, I don’t see them catching lightning in a bottle twice with the Saints this year. Saints 30, Bucs 10

New York Jets (3-9) at Buffalo Bills (4-8), BUF by 3.5 – After dabbling in the playoffs for a year, the Bills are right back where they belong—playing meaningless football in December. Bills 20, Jets 10

New England Patriots (9-3) at Miami Dolphins (6-6), NE by 8 – Don’t count out the Dolphins here—the Patriots tend to struggle in Miami. That being said, the Pats are still always the safe bet late in the season. Patriots 30, Dolphins 17

New York Giants (4-8) at Washington (6-6), WAS by 1.5 – It’s Mark Sanchez time… which means Washington’s season is over. UPSET! – Giants 23, Washington 13

Denver Broncos (6-6) at San Francisco 49ers (2-10), DEN by 6 – The Broncos are fighting hard to avoid their first back-to-back losing seasons in more than four decades. A win against a downtrodden Niners squad will sure help out. Broncos 27, 49ers 17

Cincinnati Bengals (5-7) at Los Angeles Chargers (9-3), LAC by 14] – Yeah, it’s all over for Cincinnati. Is this finally the year the Bengals get rid of Marvin Lewis? Chargers 31, Bengals 10

Detroit Lions (4-8) at Arizona Cardinals (3-9), DET by 2.5 – The Cardinals beat the Packers largely due to the Packers’ incompetence, not because they did anything particularly well. Lions 23, Cardinals 19

Philadelphia Eagles (6-6) at Dallas Cowboys (7-5), DAL by 4 – Huge matchup in the NFC East. Suddenly the Eagles are back into the thick of the division race, while the Cowboys are just starting to find a little momentum. If the Cowboys win this one, they can essentially wrap up a division title, barring an epic collapse. If the Eagles win, it’s going to be a sprint to the end of the season. Huge stakes, and I like the Eagles to pull it off. UPSET! – Eagles 20, Cowboys 17

Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4-1) at Oakland Raiders (2-10), PIT by 11 – A date with Oakland is just what the Steelers need to pick themselves back up after a tough loss against the Chargers. Steelers 34, Raiders 20

Minnesota Vikings (6-5-1) at Seattle Seahawks (7-5), SEA by 3.5 – Huge race for the NFC playoff picture. The winner of this game has probably punched themselves a ticket to the wild card round. The loser is still in it, but has a bit tougher of a road as they try to contend with teams like Carolina, Dallas and Philadelphia. Seahawks 27, Vikings 20

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 14 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Dec 05, '18, 10:08 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Los Angeles Rams (11-1) at Chicago Bears (8-4), LAR by 3 – This game could be a real treat on Sunday night, but that only applies if Mitchell Trubisky plays, which isn't a lock at this point. The Bears have the type of defense that could do to the Rams what the Cowboys did to the Saints, but if Chase Daniel is in there throwing interceptions and setting up poor field position with short drives it won't matter. Even if Trubisky plays it's a close game, but I think the Rams win. LA Rams 27, Chicago Bears 16

THURSDAY NIGHT – Jacksonville Jaguars (4-8) at Tennessee Titans (6-6), TEN by 4.5 – The last time these teams squared off, Tennessee won an offensively inept touchdown-less battle in an ugly, not very entertaining game. I don't think much has changed. Tennessee Titans 21, Jacksonville Jaguars 19

Baltimore Ravens (7-5) at Kansas City Chiefs (10-2), KC by 7.5 – This is a highly intriguing game, Baltimore is suddenly red hot, winning three in a row. They find themselves with a tenuous hold on the final playoff spot and just a half-game behind Pittsburgh for the division title. Win and they could all but lock up a playoff berth, lose however, and they join the mass of humanity hovering around .500 in the AFC. The Chiefs are just one game ahead of the Chargers and only one game ahead of Houston and New England for home field and a bye. Kansas City didn't show much of a slip last week without Kareem Hunt and I think they will have enough offense to beat Baltimore, who might have RG3 at QB. KC Chiefs 31, Baltimore Ravens 23

Indianapolis Colts (6-6) at Houston Texans (9-3), HOU by 4.5 – Houston clinches the AFC South title with a win over the Colts Sunday, not bad for a team that started the season with three straight losses. Playing at home, I don't think there's much doubt that they get that done, even if Indy is playing much better and we are beginning to see vintage Andrew Luck for the first time in about three years. Houston Texans 31, Indy Colts 16

Carolina Panthers (6-6) at Cleveland Browns (4-7-1), CAR by 1 – The Cleveland Browns got dealt a dose of reality last week against Houston after players and fans started talking about playoffs, why a team two wins shy of .500 was talking about playoffs I'll never understand. That being said, this is a much better team and one that plays really well at home. If the Browns win against Carolina or Cincinnati in two weeks, the team will earn its first winning season in Cleveland since 2007. That's right, the Browns haven't won more than lose at home since Joe Thomas' rookie season. That would be the recently retired Hall of Fame left tackle Joe Thomas. Carolina on the other hand has played terrible on the road with a 1-5 record. This one is ripe for the pickings. UPSET!!! Cleveland Browns 21, Carolina Panthers 20

Atlanta Falcons (4-8) at Green Bay Packers (4-7-1), GB by 6 – This is the type of game that is very difficult to predict. It's difficult because both teams have good, but inconsistent offenses, not great defenses and quarterbacks capable of putting the team on their back on any given Sunday. The question just becomes which team shows up the best on Sunday. I'll take the home team who might get a motivation boost from hearing a new voice at head coach for the first time in a really long time. GB Packers 26, Atlanta Falcons 23

New Orleans Saints (10-2) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-7), NO by 8 – I kinda feel bad for the Tampa defense. You know Sean Payton and Drew Brees will be eager to rebound from maybe the worst showing in their time together in New New Orleans. This one could get ugly quick. NO Saints 40, TB Buccaneers 30

New York Jets (3-9) at Buffalo Bills (4-8), BUF by 3.5 – The Bills should prove to be a cautionary tale. Don't rock the boat too much when you find something that's working, because you have a lot farther to fall than you do rise. I'm not exactly sure where to go with this game that was supposed to be a battle of top 10 QB's. Buffalo emphatically won the first meeting, but I think New York flips the script this time around. UPSET!! NY Jets 17, Buffalo Bills 16

New England Patriots (9-3) at Miami Dolphins (6-6), NE by 8 – The Dolphins couldn't beat the Patriots earlier this season when Miami was firing on all cylinders and New England was struggling mightily. Come to think of it neither team was the same after that game. Don't see much changing this time around. NE Patriots 20, Miami Dolphins 13

New York Giants (4-8) at Washington (6-6), WAS by 1.5 – Mark Sanchez vs the old and hobbled Eli Manning. This one won't be pretty. I'll take the upset. UPSET!! NY Giants 24, Washington 23

Denver Broncos (6-6) at San Francisco 49ers (2-10), DEN by 6 – Child please. Denver Broncos 20, SF Niners 13

Cincinnati Bengals (5-7) at Los Angeles Chargers (9-3), LAC by 14 – Cincy is falling apart by the week, meanwhile the Chargers are as hot as it gets right now. LA Chargers 33, Cincy Bengals 23

Detroit Lions (4-8) at Arizona Cardinals (3-9), DET by 2.5 – This is another hard one to know what to expect. I'll take the home team in an upset. UPSET!! Arizona Cardinals 30, Detroit Lions 28

Philadelphia Eagles (6-6) at Dallas Cowboys (7-5), DAL by 4 – This one could easily become the game of the week, especially if Trubisky doesn't play. Dallas comes in winning four straight, after trading wins and losses earlier this year, and Philly has won two in the row for the first time this season. Whoever wins this one will likely win the division. I'll take the home team to pull away. Dallas Cowboys 28, Philly Eagles 13

Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4-1) at Oakland Raiders (2-10), PIT by 11 – The Steelers are without James Conner this week, but they should still find a way to beat the hapless Raiders. Pittsburgh Steelers 33, Oakland Raiders 17

Minnesota Vikings (6-5-1) at Seattle Seahawks (7-5), SEA by 3.5 – Seahawks win. Seattle Seahawks 24, Minnesota Vikings 23

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Return to NFL