It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 10:02 am

Week 12 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 12 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Nov 21, '18, 8:09 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Seattle Seahawks (5-5) at Carolina Panthers (6-4), CAR by 3.5 – Not a whole lot of compelling contests this week, so this one gets my nod for Game of the Week because of its massive playoff implications for the NFC. There’s a big logjam in the wild race right now, and these two teams are right in the thick of it. If the season ended today, the Panthers would be the 5 seed, and the Seahawks would be on the outside looking in. That could change this week with a Seattle victory. The Panthers have been playing their typical brand of hard-nosed football this season but have had some difficulties against competition they should have been able to defeat. The Seahawks are no longer the dominant defensive force they were in the first half of the decade, but are still capable of pulling some magic out of their hats. These teams always play each other tough, but I’m going to go with the home team. Panthers 23, Seahawks 20

THANKSGIVING DAY – Chicago Bears (7-3) at Detroit Lions (4-6), CHI by 4 – This is going to be a pretty solid opener for the Thanksgiving Day games. Detroit is clinging on to its last shred of postseason hope and basically needs to win out to get there. NFC North battles are always brutal, and Detroit tends to get up for these Thanksgiving games lately, so being at home on a short week, I’m going to go with the Lions to pull off the upset. UPSET! – Lions 19, Bears 17

THANKSGIVING DAY – Washington (6-4) at Dallas Cowboys (5-5), DAL by 7.5 – With Alex Smith out for the year with that gruesome leg injury, suddenly the entire complexion of the NFC East race changes. Washington goes from the odds-on favorite to being unlikely to even get to the postseason, while Dallas may now be able to bumble its way into the playoffs (and an early exit) after all. Cowboys 27, Washington 17

THANKSGIVING DAY – Atlanta Falcons (4-6) at New Orleans Saints (9-1), NO by 13 – The Saints are the best team in the league right now, playing at home on a short week against an underachieving unit in the Falcons. Hard to pick against them. Saints 37, Falcons 20

Jacksonville Jaguars (3-7) at Buffalo Bills (3-7), JAX by 3 – Hard to believe the Jaguars currently have the longest losing streak in the league. What the hell happened to this team? Still, they’re better than the Bills. Jaguars 20, Bills 10[/i]

[b]Oakland Raiders (2-8) at Baltimore Ravens (5-5), BAL by 11
– The Ravens are still right there in the playoff race, so a game against the hapless Raiders is just what the doctor ordered. Ravens 24, Raiders 13

San Francisco 49ers (2-8) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-7), TB by 3.5 – Fun fact: Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston rank second and third in the NFL for interceptions, despite each not having started the full season. UPSET! – 49ers 28, Buccaneers 20

New York Giants (3-7) at Philadelphia Eagles (4-6), PHI by 6 – The Eagles are on pace to have one of the three worst seasons ever for a defending Super Bowl champion. What a disappointment. Eagles 21, Giants 13

Cleveland Browns (3-6-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (5-5), CIN by 3 – Gonna be fascinating to see what Condoleeza Rice can get out of the Browns next year! ;) Bengals 27, Browns 23

New England Patriots (7-3) at New York Jets (3-7), NE by 9.5 – Nah. Patriots 30, Jets 13

Miami Dolphins (5-5) at Indianapolis Colts (5-5), IND by 9 – Another big game for the playoff picture this week, and could prove an eliminator for one of these two teams with the all-important tiebreaker in the picture. The Colts have quietly scrambled back into the postseason picture after an awful start to the season, while the Dolphins have pissed away a hot start to the year. Gotta go with the team that has the momentum. Colts 23, Dolphins 16

Arizona Cardinals (2-8) at Los Angeles Chargers (7-3), LAC by 12 Disappointing result in Denver, but this should be a cakewalk for the Chargers. Chargers 31, Cardinals 16

Pittsburgh Steelers (6-3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-6), PIT by 3 – With a tenuous lead in the AFC North, the Steelers can’t afford to have a classic “play down to the competition” type of game. It’s always tough to go into Denver and pick up a win, but they’re capable of doing it. Steelers 30, Broncos 19

Green Bay Packers (4-5-1) at Minnesota Vikings (5-4-1), MIN by 3.5 – Another huge playoff picture game. The Packers’ season is basically on the line here, and they haven’t won a road game yet this year. This is the same situation they found themselves in in 2016, when they ran the table and got all the way to the NFC title game. This year, though, feels different—the Packers will lose, essentially eliminating them from contention and putting the final nail in Mike McCarthy’s coffin. Vikings 30, Packers 27

Tennessee Titans (5-5) at Houston Texans (7-3), HOU by 6 – Seven wins in a row for Houston. This week makes eight. Texans 24, Titans 20

BYES: Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Rams

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 12 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Nov 21, '18, 11:12 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Seattle Seahawks (5-5) at Carolina Panthers (6-4), CAR by 3.5 – The Panthers are struggling mightily at this point. Meanwhile, Seattle isn't a great team right now, but they are fairly consistent and should pull off the road upset here. UPSET!! Seattle Seahawks 27, Carolina Panthers 20

THANKSGIVING DAY – Chicago Bears (7-3) at Detroit Lions (4-6), CHI by 4 – Mitchell Trubisky is likely to miss this game and even if he plays will be banged up and could take a hit. The Bears defense can still make life difficult on the Lions, but I'll take Detroit to put together some Thanksgiving magic. UPSET!! Detroit Lions 28, Chicago Bears 20

THANKSGIVING DAY – Washington (6-4) at Dallas Cowboys (5-5), DAL by 7.5 – Alex Smith is out and just when it looked like the Cowboys would crumble and finally get rid of Jason Garrett, the team is right back in the mix. Dallas gets the win. Dallas Cowboys 24, Washington 16

THANKSGIVING DAY – Atlanta Falcons (4-6) at New Orleans Saints (9-1), NO by 13 – This game probably seemed like a good idea when they put the schedule out, but Atlanta is playing awfully right now and there's no more complete and hotter team in the NFL than the Saints. NO Saints 41, Atlanta Falcons 17

Jacksonville Jaguars (3-7) at Buffalo Bills (3-7), JAX by 3 – I'm truly torn on this game, Jacksonville should win, but any week Blake Bortles is capable of putting out a performance that makes it impossible for his team to win. I'll say the Jags do just enough to grind one out and snap the longest losing streak in the league. Jacksonville Jaguars 14, Buffalo Bills 10

Oakland Raiders (2-8) at Baltimore Ravens (5-5), BAL by 11 – Things couldn't really line up much better for Lamar Jackson than to get the hapless Bengals and then the desperate Raiders in back to back weeks. Baltimore Ravens 24, Oakland Raiders 13

San Francisco 49ers (2-8) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-7), TB by 3.5 – Trash game, but hopefully there will be a lot of points, since I've got to start Jameis in fantasy with Trubisky out. UPSET!! SF Niners 31, TB Buccaneers 30

New York Giants (3-7) at Philadelphia Eagles (4-6), PHI by 6 – Both these teams are bad. Neither can be counted on, but I'll take the home team to take a game that they should be able to handle. Philly Eagles 31, NY Giants 30

Cleveland Browns (3-6-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (5-5), CIN by 3 – The Browns could win back-to-back games and a road game for the first time since 2014? Will they? I'll go with yes, since Hue Jackson is now plaguing the other sideline. UPSET!! Cleveland Browns 28, Cincy Bengals 27

New England Patriots (7-3) at New York Jets (3-7), NE by 9.5 – The Jets have a chance to pull off the home upset against a divisional rival if they just, WHO THE HELL AM I KIDDING? NE Patriots 34, NY Jets 13

Miami Dolphins (5-5) at Indianapolis Colts (5-5), IND by 9 – The Colts seem to be rounding into form and have hit a stride. That won't last long. Give me the Phins to pull the upset. UPSET!! Miami Dolphins 23, Indy Colts 21

Arizona Cardinals (2-8) at Los Angeles Chargers (7-3), LAC by 12 - Chargers are the better team in every phase, that makes this one easy. LA Chargers 34, Arizona Cardinals 24

Pittsburgh Steelers (6-3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-6), PIT by 3 – Pittsburgh was able to win an ugly game last week and keep their stretch of good games going. Steelers should win this one too. Pittsburgh Steelers 24, Denver Broncos 20

Green Bay Packers (4-5-1) at Minnesota Vikings (5-4-1), MIN by 3.5 – The last time these two teams met they played to a tie. It should be another competitive game between division rivals, but this time I think the Vikings come away with some late heroics. Minnesota Vikings 17, GB Packers 16

Tennessee Titans (5-5) at Houston Texans (7-3), HOU by 6 – Houston gets the win. Houston Texans 21, Tennessee Titans 19

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Nov 22, '18, 10:57 am

Bears
Cowboys
Saints

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Nov 25, '18, 11:30 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Seattle Seahawks (5-5) at Carolina Panthers (6-4), CAR by 3.5 – Panthers have been lousy on the road this year, but they seem to play much better at home (5-0). Gotta pray and hope they pull this one out. Panthers 33, Seahawks 27

Jacksonville Jaguars (3-7) at Buffalo Bills (3-7), JAX by 3 – Jags are sooo bad but the Bills are even worse. I think. Jaguars 20, Bills 10

Oakland Raiders (2-8) at Baltimore Ravens (5-5), BAL by 11 – Raiders suck. Ravens 23, Raiders 3

San Francisco 49ers (2-8) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-7), TB by 3.5 – Two terrible teams. Buccaneers 34, 49ers 21

New York Giants (3-7) at Philadelphia Eagles (4-6), PHI by 6 – I'd love to see the Giants rip off a streak and take the division just for the lulz, but nah. Eagles 27, Giants 21

Cleveland Browns (3-6-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (5-5), CIN by 3 – Bengals are the better team so they should win at home. Bengals 23, Browns 17

New England Patriots (7-3) at New York Jets (3-7), NE by 9.5 – lol. Patriots 30, Jets 13

Miami Dolphins (5-5) at Indianapolis Colts (5-5), IND by 9 – Colts are better and at home. Colts 27, Dolphins 23

Arizona Cardinals (2-8) at Los Angeles Chargers (7-3), LAC by 12 - Winning in Denver is always hard. Chargers got this one. Chargers 38, Cardinals 12

Pittsburgh Steelers (6-3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-6), PIT by 3 – Steelers are playing great football. Even with the game being in Denver, I don't see them losing. Steelers 34, Broncos 20

Green Bay Packers (4-5-1) at Minnesota Vikings (5-4-1), MIN by 3.5 – Packers haven't played well on the road and just don't look like a very good team. Vikings 28, Packers 24

Tennessee Titans (5-5) at Houston Texans (7-3), HOU by 6 – I have no idea what to make of the Titans tbh. Texans 28, Titans 24

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Nov 25, '18, 2:06 pm

The Browns are feeling DANGEROUS again!!

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Nov 27, '18, 2:42 pm

I fucking love Baker Mayfield. The shit he says about Hue Jackson is gold.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Return to NFL