It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 4:47 pm

Week 8 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 8 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Oct 24, '18, 12:13 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – New Orleans Saints (5-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-2-1), MIN by 1 – A rematch of last year’s all-time classic divisional playoff game features a Vikings team that has battled back from a tough start to the season and a Saints team that has been one of the more solid teams in the NFC so far this year. The Vikings’ passing game has been absurd so far, but the Saints are a more well-rounded club at the moment, at least offensively. I’m taking them to notch a minor upset. UPSET! – Saints 27, Vikings 26

THURSDAY NIGHT – Miami Dolphins (4-3) at Houston Texans (4-3), HOU by 7.5 – Another game that has some early playoff implications, the Dolphins and Texans are teams heading in the opposite direction at the moment. The Dolphins got off to a fast start and have since gone 1-3, whereas the Texans had a rough first several weeks and have since gone on a tear. Playing at home on a short week, you gotta feel like the Texans have the upper hand. Texans 24, Dolphins 17

Philadelphia Eagles (3-4) vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (3-4) in London – Boy, these two teams are not where we would have expected them to be at this point of the season. Another loss for either could prove catastrophic in their respective quests for the playoffs. The Jaguars’ defense simply hasn’t been what it was last year, and the Eagles haven’t looked particularly inspired on either side of the ball. I think I trust the Eagles to get it done more right now, but both of these teams have been big time disappointments. Eagles 23, Jaguars 13

Cleveland Browns (2-4-1) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2-1), PIT by 8.5 – The Browns are one OT game away from tying the 1983 Packers’ single-season record. Methinks the Cardiac Pack will keep the record for at least one more week. Enjoy that distinction, Lynn Dickey. Steelers 27, Browns 17

Denver Broncos (3-4) at Kansas City Chiefs (6-1), KC by 10 – Kansas City is the real deal. The only question surrounding this team is whether or not they’ll be able to beat the Patriots in January. They need to keep winning so they have homefield advantage for that matchup. Chiefs 34, Broncos 17

New York Jets (3-4) at Chicago Bears (3-3), CHI by 7 – Lol, two weeks ago everyone was riding the Bears’ jocks and making them the sexy pick for the NFC north. Those of us who pay attention to the NFC North knew better. Now they’re back on the bottom. This game definitely is a favorable matchup for them, though, and they should take advantage of a flailing Jets team. Bears 20, Jets 13

Washington (4-2) at New York Giants (1-6), WAS by 1 – Damn, the Giants are BAD. Like, this is a three-year project team that they’re working on here, and it was just an awful idea to take an RB at #2 overall, I don’t care who he is. Washington has looked surprisingly solid so far this season. They’re not going to be a Super Bowl contender, but they’ve definitely got the inside track on that division so far in the first half of the year. Another divisional win this week will do more to help them out. Washington 23, Giants 9

Seattle Seahawks (3-3) at Detroit Lions (3-3), DET by 3 – Lots of 3-4 and 3-3 teams this week trying to figure out who they are. This matchup is no different—the Lions and Seahawks have both been no more than average so far. Will either be able to start a turnaround here in week 8? With 10 games left to go for both teams, you figure they’ll have to win at least 7 of them to have a shot at the playoffs. I don’t think either of these teams is capable of that, but I do think I trust the Lions more at home than I trust the Seahawks on the road. Lions 24, Seahawks 17

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-3) at Cincinnati Bengals (4-3), CIN by 4.5 – Any idiot who’s watched the Bengals over the last seven years or so knew they would shit the bed in primetime—it’s what they do. Now they can go back to beating up on cupcakes when the spotlight is off. Bengals 30, Bucs 20

Baltimore Ravens (4-3) at Carolina Panthers (4-2), BAL by 2 – Hard to know what to make of either of these teams right now—both have fluctuated between looking outstanding and looking thoroughly average. Their defenses are playing quite well, though, so expect this one to be a hard-hitting, low-scoring affair. I like Carolina at home. Panthers 20, Ravens 16

Indianapolis Colts (2-5) at Oakland Raiders (1-6), IND by 3 – The Raiders are officially tanking, but at least they have tons of draft capital the next two years. Also, turns out the Colts are just as bad WITH Andrew Luck as they were WITHOUT him. Who’da thunk? Colts 23, Raiders 10

San Francisco 49ers (1-6) at Arizona Cardinals (1-6), ARZ by 1 – At least the 49ers can blame their ineptitude on a season-ending injury to their starting QB. What excuse do the Cardinals have? Things have gotten so bad in Arizona that Patrick Peterson wants out, NOW. I think the 49ers have the coaching advantage in this matchup of low-level talent, so give me them. UPSET! – 49ers 23, Cardinals 19

Green Bay Packers (3-2-1) at LA Rams (7-0), LAR by 9 – The Packers have been much worse than their record indicates, and it’s looking like the end of the McCarthy era in Green Bay. I don’t see this one going any way other than a blowout. Rams 37, Packers 16

New England Patriots (5-2) at Buffalo Bills (2-4), NE by 14 – How the fuck have the Bills won two games?? Patriots 34, Bills 13

BYES: Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, LA Chargers, Tennessee Titans

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 8 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Oct 25, '18, 1:11 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – New Orleans Saints (5-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-2-1), MIN by 1 – This should be a game that is classic strength vs weakness, but the Vikings haven't really been the same since the end of last season's playoffs. Add in the lost season for Dalvin Cook and his battered hamstring (my fantasy team can't get over that), and a bad running game makes it hard on a defense. Minnesota's passing game should be good enough to keep them in the game, but they can't match Drew Brees score for score. UPSET!! NO Saints 35, Minnesota Vikings 33

THURSDAY NIGHT – Miami Dolphins (4-3) at Houston Texans (4-3), HOU by 7.5 – I'm sure the #1 revenge game everyone had circled on their calendar was Brock Osweiler's return to Houston. OK, I kid, I kid. In reality, a short week on the road and with Osweiler at QB means the Dolphins are going to have a hard road to win this week. Houston Texans 24, Miami Dolphins 21

Philadelphia Eagles (3-4) vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (3-4) in London – One of these teams is going to get back to an even .500 by the midway point of the season, the other will find a tough second half of the season waiting for them. Lucky for each of them they play in their conference's weakest division and a .500 record will be good enough to make the postseason. Philly Eagles 24, Jacksonville Jaguars 22

Cleveland Browns (2-4-1) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2-1), PIT by 8.5 – So the Cleveland Browns have reached the point of the season where coaches are fighting with each other, the players don't know how to win and injuries have shredded a paper thin roster. A promising start with some close games has faded.

On another note, referee Shawn Hochuli should be fired for actually getting on a microphone and saying it was OK for a Buccaneer defender to hit Baker Mayfield square in the head. Also, for the second time in as many weeks officials have missed an offensive tackle false starting against the Cleveland Browns. How are those calls missed? You can't say that the Cleveland Browns get officiated the same way the Patriots do, it's simply not true. Pittsburgh Steelers 24, Cleveland Browns 20

Denver Broncos (3-4) at Kansas City Chiefs (6-1), KC by 10 – The Broncos have a decent defense when the offense doesn't get in the way, but in no way will they be good enough to derail the KC NFL demolition tour. KC Chiefs 38, Denver Broncos 31

New York Jets (3-4) at Chicago Bears (3-3), CHI by 7 – The Jets are a team that has made a lot of progress and they are definitely not the laughing stock they've been since Mark Sanchez's butt fumble, but the Bears are a tough defensive-minded team with a quarterback that is growing into a franchise signal caller. Chicago Bears 20, NY Jets 16

Washington (4-2) at New York Giants (1-6), WAS by 1 – Washington should win this game, but given how crappy and unpredictable the NFC LEast has been this year I can't help but think the Giants have a surprise game in them. I can't quite bring myself to pick it, but I won't be surprised if the G-Men win. Washington 23, NY Giants 20

Seattle Seahawks (3-3) at Detroit Lions (3-3), DET by 3 – Don't know what to think of this game with two highly average teams that could show up and do anything good or bad on any given Sunday. I think Seattle is just a slightly stronger and more consistent team and that gives them the edge here. UPSET!! Seattle Seahawks 27, Detroit Lions 20

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-3) at Cincinnati Bengals (4-3), CIN by 4.5 – Tampa is actually an awful team. Cincy is somewhat fake when it comes to being a true contender, but I have more faith they will be there in December than the Buccs. Cincy Bengals 35, TB Buccaneers 20

Baltimore Ravens (4-3) at Carolina Panthers (4-2), BAL by 2 – Call it a hunch, but I'm going with the home upset here. Carolina when they play up to their potential is good enough to beat most teams, but they don't always do that. Points, especially touchdowns will likely be hard to come by in this one, but the Panthers scratch out just enough. UPSET!! Carolina Panthers 23, Baltimore Ravens 20

Indianapolis Colts (2-5) at Oakland Raiders (1-6), IND by 3 – Two awful, awful teams. That being said, Indy still seems to be fighting to get better, meanwhile the Raiders have thrown in the towel and have all of their attention on next April already. Indy Colts 24, Oakland Raiders 20

San Francisco 49ers (1-6) at Arizona Cardinals (1-6), ARZ by 1 – If Jimmy G was playing this would be an easy pick. He's not and this game is ridiculously hard to predict, because neither of these teams should win again. I'll take the Cards to get the home win, but don't be surprised if this ends in a tie. Arizona Cardinals 16, SF Niners 14

Green Bay Packers (3-2-1) at LA Rams (7-0), LAR by 9 – The Rams invincibility tour continues with ease. The Packers still have Aaron Rodgers, so they should be there in the end, but he's all they have. LA Rams 34, GB Packers 24

MONDAY NIGHT - New England Patriots (5-2) at Buffalo Bills (2-4), NE by 14 – Child please. NE Patriots 31, Buffalo Bills 14

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Oct 25, '18, 6:07 pm

Texans

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Oct 28, '18, 5:13 am

Messiah wrote:Texans

GAME OF THE WEEK – New Orleans Saints (5-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-2-1), MIN by 1 – This is a tough one. Cousins looks as good as advertised - Diggs and Thielen are perfect for him. Saints have looked good this year, although good defenses have found a way to limit them to an extent (Browns, Ravens). I'm gonna go with the Vikings here. Vikings 26, Saints 24

Philadelphia Eagles (3-4) vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (3-4) in London – It's hard to trust Bortles, but the Eagles are reeling. I could see the Jags rising to the challenge here on defense and they are more comfortable playing in London than Philly. Jaguars 20, Eagles 17

Cleveland Browns (2-4-1) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2-1), PIT by 8.5 – Steelers have looked much better recently, but they still tend to play down to the competition. They have too much firepower for the Browns to win, but should be another close one. Steelers 34, Browns 28

Denver Broncos (3-4) at Kansas City Chiefs (6-1), KC by 10 – Broncos can stifle the Chiefs, but they can't keep up. Chiefs 30, Broncos 20

New York Jets (3-4) at Chicago Bears (3-3), CHI by 7 – Bears should win... but I'm actually expecting an upset by the Jets here. Trubisky has looked awful sans the Bucs game. UPSET!Jets 23, Bears 13

Washington (4-2) at New York Giants (1-6), WAS by 1 – Road division games can go either way, but the Giants have given me little reason to think they can produce on offense. Redskins 21, Giants 17

Seattle Seahawks (3-3) at Detroit Lions (3-3), DET by 3 – No idea. Seahawks I reckon? UPSET!Seahawks 33, Lions 30

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-3) at Cincinnati Bengals (4-3), CIN by 4.5 – Bucs need this win to stay in the division race, but they suck. Bengals 38, Buccaneers 20

Baltimore Ravens (4-3) at Carolina Panthers (4-2), BAL by 2 – It's kinda weird the Panthers are underdogs in this game, but alas. Panthers 17, Ravens 13

Indianapolis Colts (2-5) at Oakland Raiders (1-6), IND by 3 – Raiders suck. Colts 33, Raiders 10

San Francisco 49ers (1-6) at Arizona Cardinals (1-6), ARZ by 1 – Both teams suck. Cardinals 20, 49ers 10

Green Bay Packers (3-2-1) at LA Rams (7-0), LAR by 9 – Packers aren't a very good team, but its Aaron Rodgers and Rams gotta lose eventually. I think we're gonna see GODgers on Sunday. UPSET!Packers 34, Rams 31

New England Patriots (5-2) at Buffalo Bills (2-4), NE by 14 – no. Patriots 36, Bills 7

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby xgamr » Oct 28, '18, 7:31 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – New Orleans Saints (5-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-2-1), MIN by 1 – UPSET Saints

Philadelphia Eagles (3-4) vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (3-4) in London – Eagles

Cleveland Browns (2-4-1) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2-1), PIT by 8.5 – UPSET Browns

Denver Broncos (3-4) at Kansas City Chiefs (6-1), KC by 10 – chiefs

New York Jets (3-4) at Chicago Bears (3-3), CHI by 7 – bears

Washington (4-2) at New York Giants (1-6), WAS by 1 – redskins

Seattle Seahawks (3-3) at Detroit Lions (3-3), DET by 3 –UPSET Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-3) at Cincinnati Bengals (4-3), CIN by 4.5 – Bengals

Baltimore Ravens (4-3) at Carolina Panthers (4-2), BAL by 2 –Panthers

Indianapolis Colts (2-5) at Oakland Raiders (1-6), IND by 3 – Colts

San Francisco 49ers (1-6) at Arizona Cardinals (1-6), ARZ by 1 – niners

Green Bay Packers (3-2-1) at LA Rams (7-0), LAR by 9 –Rams

New England Patriots (5-2) at Buffalo Bills (2-4), NE by 14 –pats

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby Messiah » Oct 28, '18, 1:28 pm

Jameis Winston is too stupid to be an NFL QB.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Oct 28, '18, 1:44 pm

Also the Giants can't keep starting Eli. Like if I'm a player on that team, I lose all faith and respect in my coaches if they genuinely think Eli gives them the best chance to win. At least give the back-up a chance.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to NFL