It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:01 pm

Week 2 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 2 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Sep 11, '18, 12:28 pm

On to week two!

There are bound to be plenty of overreactions after week one (are the Bills the worst team of all time? Have the Lions already quit on Matt Patricia? Is Aaron Rodgers going to ascend directly into heaven when he retires?) but with each week we’ll start to learn more about what these teams will be.

Here are the picks.

GAME OF THE WEEK – New England Patriots (1-0) at Jacksonville Jaguars (1-0), NE by 2 – A rematch of the AFC title game, this time in Jacksonville. Call me crazy, but the Patriots always tend to have a couple early-season upsets. The Jaguars are going to be hot in this one, wanting to prove themselves. My head is telling me New England, but my heart is saying Jacksonville scores an upset and gives the Patriots what will be one of like two losses they get this year. UPSET! – Jaguars 24, Patriots 23

THURSDAY NIGHT – Baltimore Ravens (1-0) at Cincinnati Bengals (1-0), PUSH – Tough pick here—the Ravens looked unstoppable against the Bills, and the Bengals went into Indy and ruined Andrew Luck’s return to football. Divisional game on a Thursday night, gotta go with the home team. Bengals 20, Ravens 17

Indianapolis Colts (0-1) at Washington (1-0), WAS by 5.5 – If Adrian Peterson keeps up his production from week one, he’s going to end up being the steal of free agency (and fantasy football drafts everywhere). Washington was looking like a really balanced team last week in an impressive win against the Cardinals. The Colts have talent and will give them a challenge, but fuck it, I’ll go off of what I saw out of Washington last week. Washington 24, Colts 17

Carolina Panthers (1-0) at Atlanta Falcons (0-1), ATL by 5.5 – The Falcons and Panthers both had some offensive difficulties in week one, but the Falcons have more talent on that side of the ball. If Sark gets out of his own offense’s way, the Falcons can still be a potent team. I’ll take them at home to edge out the Panthers. Falcons 27, Panthers 20

Minnesota Vikings (1-0) at Green Bay Packers (1-0), MIN by 1 – With Aaron Rodgers’ injury, who knows if this will end up being a game of the week or a dud of the week. If Rodgers does play, one has to think his motion will be extremely hampered, but this is also a revenge game for the Packers, as the Vikings knocked Rodgers out for the year last year and ruined what could have been a Super Bowl campaign. I think the Vikings are probably the best team in the NFL at the moment, even if I’m not a huge believer in Kirk Cousins… that roster is just so strong all around. I’ve got to pick them, even in Lambeau and even if Rodgers plays. Vikings 23, Packers 19

Los Angeles Chargers (0-1) at Buffalo Bills (0-1), LAC by 7.5 – The Chargers didn’t look particularly impressive, but the Bills could very well be the worst team in football this season (as I think I predicted in my picks last week). Give me the Chargers. Chargers 30, Bills 9

Houston Texans (0-1) at Tennessee Titans (0-1), HOU by 2.5 – Disappointing start for both teams. The Texans came back from a rough start to the game against New England to finish respectably close against a better team. The Titans had to deal with numerous delays and fell short against Miami. Both of these teams figure to be in the hunt in the wild card race this year, which means this game could have some importance come December. Right now, I think the Texans are just farther along than the Titans. Texans 24, Titans 16

Kansas City Chiefs (1-0) at Pittsburgh Steelers (0-0-1), PIT by 5 – Oddsmakers are really giving the Steelers a pass on their horrendous performance against the Browns. The Steelers are playing at home this week, and they do tend to play to the level of their competition, but the Chiefs were the much more impressive team in the opening week of the season and even if John Conner continues to put up Leveon Bell-like numbers, I don’t think it’ll be enough to overcome what looks like a very explosive Chiefs squad. UPSET! – Chiefs 30, Steelers 20

Miami Dolphins (1-0) at New York Jets (1-0), NYJ by 3 – Uh… that happened. 31 points in a single quarter for the Jets, and they’re 1-0 in the Sam Darnold era. Don’t count on the Jets being able to pick off five passes every week, but there’s a whole lot to like there if you’re a Jets fan. Coming off that momentum and playing at home against an average Dolphins unit, give me the Jets to get off to a surprise 2-0 start. Jets 24, Dolphins 20

Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0), PHI by 3 – The Buccaneers were probably the biggest surprise of the week in week one, but there’s almost no chance they can replicate that performance. Give me the defending champs. Eagles 27, Bucs 17

Cleveland Browns (0-0-1) at New Orleans Saints (0-1), NO by 8.5 – Even though the Browns are off to a blazing hot start (their best since 2004), I don’t think it’ll be enough to overcome an angry Saints squad that just got embarrassed in their own house by a divisional rival everyone thought to be inferior. Saints 34, Browns 10

Arizona Cardinals (0-1) at Los Angeles Rams (1-0), LAR by 12.5 – The bigger and badder Rams didn’t disappoint in week one—this looks like a team that’s going to be a contender this year. While divisional games always have an element of craziness to them, give me the Rams to take the win. Rams 30, Cardinals 16

Detroit Lions (0-1) at San Francisco 49ers (0-1), SF by 5.5- What the hell happened to the Lions? Matt Stafford looked like a JV high school quarterback, the team absolutely imploded within the span of about eight game minutes and suddenly there are a whole lot of questions about this team. Heck, Jimmy G threw 3 INTs against the Vikings, but at least he remained poised and kept his team in it until the end. Give me San Fran. 49ers 29, Lions 20

Oakland Raiders (0-1) at Denver Broncos (1-0), DEN by 6 – The Raiders were off to a good start against the Rams before Derek Carr decided he’d forget how to play football. I’ll take them in a mild upset. UPSET! – Raiders 24, Broncos 19

New York Giants (0-1) at Dallas Cowboys (0-1), DAL by 3 – Neither of these teams looked particularly great in week one, but I’m more of a believer in what the Cowboys have than the Giants at the moment. Cowboys 17, Giants 13

Seattle Seahawks (0-1) at Chicago Bears (0-1), CHI by 3.5 – The Bears did great with their scripted plays against the Packers, but awful quarterbacking and questionable playcalling aided the Packers greatly in their miracle comeback. Playing at home against another elite quarterback, they’re definitely going to have their work cut out for them. The big question… does this team have the mental toughness to come back from such an embarrassing defeat? That’s a hard one to come back from. UPSET! – Seahawks 20, Bears 13

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 2 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby DBSoT » Sep 11, '18, 1:05 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – New England Patriots (1-0) at Jacksonville Jaguars (1-0), NE by 2 – JACKSONVILLE

THURSDAY NIGHT – Baltimore Ravens (1-0) at Cincinnati Bengals (1-0), PUSH – CINCINNATI

Indianapolis Colts (0-1) at Washington (1-0), WAS by 5.5 – WASHINGTON

Carolina Panthers (1-0) at Atlanta Falcons (0-1), ATL by 5.5 – ATLANTA

Minnesota Vikings (1-0) at Green Bay Packers (1-0), MIN by 1 - MINNESOTA

Los Angeles Chargers (0-1) at Buffalo Bills (0-1), LAC by 7.5 – LOS ANGELES

Houston Texans (0-1) at Tennessee Titans (0-1), HOU by 2.5 – TENNESSEE

Kansas City Chiefs (1-0) at Pittsburgh Steelers (0-0-1), PIT by 5 – PITTSBURGH

Miami Dolphins (1-0) at New York Jets (1-0), NYJ by 3 – NEW YORK

Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0), PHI by 3 – TAMPA BAY

Cleveland Browns (0-0-1) at New Orleans Saints (0-1), NO by 8.5 – NEW ORLEANS

Arizona Cardinals (0-1) at Los Angeles Rams (1-0), LAR by 12.5 – LOS ANGELES

Detroit Lions (0-1) at San Francisco 49ers (0-1), SF by 5.5- SAN FRANCISCO - Fuck the Lions, I am done for the season. Monday was an abortion and this franchise derserves it's misery. I hope they go 0-16 again. Shit the Bed for Ed (Oliver).

Oakland Raiders (0-1) at Denver Broncos (1-0), DEN by 6 – DENVER

New York Giants (0-1) at Dallas Cowboys (0-1), DAL by 3 – NEW YORK

Seattle Seahawks (0-1) at Chicago Bears (0-1), CHI by 3.5 – CHICAGO

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Sep 12, '18, 11:07 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – New England Patriots (1-0) at Jacksonville Jaguars (1-0), NE by 2 – This one should be a dandy of a game. The Jaguars looked primed to make the Super Bowl before they ran into the Patriots in the AFC Championship game last year. I think these two teams are probably headed in different directions going forward, the Pats have peaked, meanwhile, Jacksonville should only get better in 2018 and beyond. The Jags get a measure of revenge from last year and we all get a preview of a likely future playoff match-up in 2018. UPSET!!! Jacksonville Jaguars 21, NE Patriots 20

THURSDAY NIGHT – Baltimore Ravens (1-0) at Cincinnati Bengals (1-0), PUSH – Both of these teams got impressive looking wins over terrible teams in Week 1. That doesn't change my mind that neither of these teams will be very good this season. Baltimore has the slightly better roster and is younger than the over the hill Bengals so I will go with that. Baltimore Ravens 30, Cincy Bengals 20

Indianapolis Colts (0-1) at Washington (1-0), WAS by 5.5 – Indianapolis got Andrew Luck back, but it didn't matter. That roster has been neglected for far too long and is past the point where an outstanding quarterback can put on a Superman cape and save the day. Washington gets off to a surprising 2-0 start. Washington 28, Indy Colts 19

Carolina Panthers (1-0) at Atlanta Falcons (0-1), ATL by 5.5 – Based off Week 1, it should be an easy pick that Carolina wins, but losing Greg Olsen is a big blow to that offense and Atlanta gets it's home debut and needs to avoid a catastrophic 0-2 start to keep real playoff hopes alive. That desperation in this divisional game will carry the day. Atlanta Falcons 20, Carolina Panthers 16

Minnesota Vikings (1-0) at Green Bay Packers (1-0), MIN by 1 – This game totally hinges on Aaron Rodgers' status for me. If Rodgers plays, the Packers can win this crucial divisional game, if not the Vikings will cruise against a Deshone Kizer led Green Bay squad. Right now I'll go with the Packers. UPSET!!! GB Packers 23, Minnesota Vikings 20

Los Angeles Chargers (0-1) at Buffalo Bills (0-1), LAC by 7.5 – The Bills have to be kicking themselves for how they have handled the quarterback situation the past 10 months (since benching Taylor), Buffalo looks like the team that will give 0-16 the biggest challenge this year. Now, the rookie most unready to play in Josh Allen will get a start in Week 2. The Chargers aren't a great team, but they have way more than enough to win this game. LA Chargers 31, Buffalo Bills 17

Houston Texans (0-1) at Tennessee Titans (0-1), HOU by 2.5 – The Texans have Deshaun Watson, the Titans are starting either Marcus Mariota or Blaine Gabbert (how's he still in the NFL?). Either way Houston has a significant advantage at the most important position. Houston Texans 31, Tennessee Titans 16

Kansas City Chiefs (1-0) at Pittsburgh Steelers (0-0-1), PIT by 5 – Big Ben has figured out his post-playing career. He'll be a pastry baker specializing in turnovers :rotf2 :lol :rotf The Chiefs proved that they have a good enough team around Mahomes that they will still be a threat this year, give them the road upset. UPSET!!! KC Chiefs 29, Pittsburgh Steelers 25

Miami Dolphins (1-0) at New York Jets (1-0), NYJ by 3 – Well, the Jets are the greatest team of all time, Sam Darnold is headed straight to the Hall of Fame. At least that's what the Week 1 overreactors would say. While that is obviously not true, the Jets are the better team between them and Miami and should take care of business on their home field. NY Jets 28, Miami Dolphins 20

Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0), PHI by 3 – Ryan Fitzpatrick is on his way to driving Jameis the Rapist out of the NFL. Call it a hunch, but I think Tampa stays hot and hands a loss to a Philly group that is vulnerable with Nick Foles still in at quarterback post his turning back into a pumpkin. UPSET!!! TB Buccaneers 28, Philly Eagles 27

Cleveland Browns (0-0-1) at New Orleans Saints (0-1), NO by 8.5 – The combination of Myles Garrett rushing the passer and Denzel Ward picking the passer off is legit and could make Cleveland's defense one of the best in the league very quickly. The offense is a work in progress, but getting out of hurricane rainfall and in a dome in New Orleans should help Tyrod Taylor and Co. make some strides. Playing the defense that just got lit up by Ryan Fitzmagic should help them make more strides. UPSET!!! Cleveland Browns 30, NO Saints 28

Arizona Cardinals (0-1) at Los Angeles Rams (1-0), LAR by 12.5 – Child please. Jared Goff has the offense running at peak performance and that defense is scary good. Arizona is a mess across the board. LA Rams 28, Arizona Cardinals 14

Detroit Lions (0-1) at San Francisco 49ers (0-1), SF by 5.5- Jimmy G may have suffered his first setback with the Niners last week, but at least his team isn't coached by a guy that took the worst coaching look in all of sports and made it 10 times worse. The Lions are a bigger mess than Matt Patricia's wardrobe and neither are getting fixed any time soon. SF Niners 28, Detroit Lions 21

Oakland Raiders (0-1) at Denver Broncos (1-0), DEN by 6 – I'm falling off the Raiders hardcore. Being a team playing in one city as you prepare to leave it and everyone knows is just a Twilight Zone situation and it plays games with the whole organization's psyche. Denver's defense will be the talk of the day after this one. Denver Broncos 28, Oakland Raiders 19

New York Giants (0-1) at Dallas Cowboys (0-1), DAL by 3 – Dallas is far from a perfect team, but they are better than the Giants, they just need to give their best player the ball more than 15 times in the game. Feed Zeke and get the win. Dallas Cowboys 17, NY Giants 16

Seattle Seahawks (0-1) at Chicago Bears (0-1), CHI by 3.5 – I think Chicago does recover from last week's loss, partly because they are facing the trainwreck Seahawks. I bet they even do it by the same score. Chicago Bears 24, Seattle Seahawks 23

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby xgamr » Sep 13, '18, 4:55 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – New England Patriots (1-0) at Jacksonville Jaguars (1-0), NE by 2 –Pats

THURSDAY NIGHT – Baltimore Ravens (1-0) at Cincinnati Bengals (1-0), PUSH – Ravens

Indianapolis Colts (0-1) at Washington (1-0), WAS by 5.5 – Redskins

Carolina Panthers (1-0) at Atlanta Falcons (0-1), ATL by 5.5 – UPSET Panthers

Minnesota Vikings (1-0) at Green Bay Packers (1-0), MIN by 1 – Vikings

Los Angeles Chargers (0-1) at Buffalo Bills (0-1), LAC by 7.5 – Chargers

Houston Texans (0-1) at Tennessee Titans (0-1), HOU by 2.5 – Texans

Kansas City Chiefs (1-0) at Pittsburgh Steelers (0-0-1), PIT by 5 – UPSET Chiefs

Miami Dolphins (1-0) at New York Jets (1-0), NYJ by 3 – Jets

Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0), PHI by 3 – Eagles

Cleveland Browns (0-0-1) at New Orleans Saints (0-1), NO by 8.5 – Saints

Arizona Cardinals (0-1) at Los Angeles Rams (1-0), LAR by 12.5 – Rams

Detroit Lions (0-1) at San Francisco 49ers (0-1), SF by 5.5- 49ers

Oakland Raiders (0-1) at Denver Broncos (1-0), DEN by 6 – Broncos
Cowboys

Seattle Seahawks (0-1) at Chicago Bears (0-1), CHI by 3.5 – Bears

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby Messiah » Sep 16, '18, 10:05 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – New England Patriots (1-0) at Jacksonville Jaguars (1-0), NE by 2 – This is going to be a good football game and I don't know who to pick. Brady played well in the AFC Championship game last year, but it was still an extremely close game and the Patriots are even more limited at receiver this year (No Edelman, No Dion Lewis, No Cooks). But the Jaguars QB is Blake Bortles. I'm usually going to trust the home team with the best defense, so I'll go Jags but this could go either way. UPSET!Jags 19, Patriots 17

THURSDAY NIGHT – Baltimore Ravens (1-0) at Cincinnati Bengals (1-0), PUSH – MISSED PICK (but would have picked Bengals :( )

Indianapolis Colts (0-1) at Washington (1-0), WAS by 5.5 – Redskins are the smart pick here, but I think Luck gets the Colts to a much-needed early season win. UPSET!Colts 27, Redskins 23

Carolina Panthers (1-0) at Atlanta Falcons (0-1), ATL by 5.5 – Panthers gonna be nasty this year, but a road divisional game is never easy. Gimme the Falcons. Falcons 33, Panthers 20

Minnesota Vikings (1-0) at Green Bay Packers (1-0), MIN by 1 – Vikings a big boy football team. Are the Packers? Not sure. Bears gave them that work in the first half, even when Rodgers was in. Vikings 34, Packers 13

Los Angeles Chargers (0-1) at Buffalo Bills (0-1), LAC by 7.5 – This is totally a game the Chargers would lose. Plus Bills are at home. UPSET!Bills 23, Chargers 21

Houston Texans (0-1) at Tennessee Titans (0-1), HOU by 2.5 – Titans trash. Texans 27, Titans 3

Kansas City Chiefs (1-0) at Pittsburgh Steelers (0-0-1), PIT by 5 – Steelers always play down to the competition, so last week doesn't mean much to me. But Ben looked terrible, which would concern me the most. He always has clunkers like that but man last week was bad. I'll take the home team Steelers, but this is going to be a battle. Steelers 38, Chiefs 34

Miami Dolphins (1-0) at New York Jets (1-0), NYJ by 3 – Home team Jets, neither team is that good. Jets 17, Dolphins 16

Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0), PHI by 3 – Not sure why people aren't giving the Bucs more of a chance in this game. They are at home and the Eagles QB is Nick Foles. I'm liking the Bucs here to pull off the upset. UPSET!Bucs 26, Eagles 21

Cleveland Browns (0-0-1) at New Orleans Saints (0-1), NO by 8.5 – If the Saints lose this, season over. Saints 28, Browns 10

Arizona Cardinals (0-1) at Los Angeles Rams (1-0), LAR by 12.5 – Rams should win this. Rams 34, Cardinals 7

Detroit Lions (0-1) at San Francisco 49ers (0-1), SF by 5.5 - Lions imploded last week and 49ers were more competitive with the Vikings than the scoreboard. This should be a close one but I'll take the 49ers to get a W. 49ers 23, Lions 14

Oakland Raiders (0-1) at Denver Broncos (1-0), DEN by 6 – Short week on the road in Denver? This is a loss. Broncos 20, Raiders 14

New York Giants (0-1) at Dallas Cowboys (0-1), DAL by 3 – Giants/Cowboys on SNF? Original! UPSET!Giants 17, Cowboys 14

Seattle Seahawks (0-1) at Chicago Bears (0-1), CHI by 3.5 – Seahawks have a lot of injuries and the Bears are more talented. Bears 26, Seahawks 23

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Sep 16, '18, 4:50 pm

I HATE KICKERS! I REALLY HATE KICKERS! I FUCKING HATE KICKERS! GOD DAMNIT ZANE GONZALEZ!!!!

The Cleveland Browns have gone 19 games without winning and the only reason that streak continues is Zane Gonzalez can't kick the ball between the goal posts! Two missed field goals and two missed extra points in a three point game!!!! :banghead :angry1 :angry4 :cussing :bs :crybaby :angrysanta :fu :deadhorse :deadhorse :facepalm

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Sep 18, '18, 10:02 am

RESULTS

DBSOT: 13-5, hit two upsets
The Legend: 12-6, hit two upsets
Messiah: 12-6, hit two upsets
Everlong: 11-7, hit two upsets
Xgamr: 9-8, hit one upset

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Return to NFL