It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:21 pm

The Legend's Mock Draft

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

The Legend's Mock Draft

Postby The Legend » Apr 25, '18, 1:02 pm

1. Cleveland Browns: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
The Cleveland Browns are poised to take their best shot at answering the quarterback quandry since 1999. As the draft draws closer, usually there’s clarity on the #1 pick. This year it’s getting cloudier, but I’m still sticking with Darnold, because I think he’s the right answer. Rosen’s health scares me and I think Darnold can work to resolve his weaknesses in college and become a franchise passer.

2. New York Giants: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
GM Dave Gettleman has remained steadfast in that he believes there’s players in this draft that will end their career in Canton, Ohio and he wants one of those guys with the second pick. Eli Manning is aging, but the Giants still have him, which means if the QB they like the most comes off the board (like happens here with Darnold), then they don’t have to reach for a second choice. They take Barkley and help their offense become more potent and return to contention.

3. New York Jets: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
The Jets are in an interesting position here. Every QB they have to think is a realistic option for them is still available, so who is the apple of the eye in the Big Apple? I think it comes down to Mayfield and Rosen, and I’m going with the production and development of Baker Mayfield to be the choice here. Without a tradeup, whoever isn’t chosen here might take a tumble.

4. Cleveland Browns: Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State
If the draft breaks this way, and that is looking ever more likely, the Browns would have to consider themselves pretty lucky. Get the quarterback they covet at the top of the draft and then get to come back at #4 and get the best defensive player in the draft. Bradley Chubb and Myles Garrett could form a fearsome tandem for years to come terrorizing quarterbacks. This might be one of those drafts you look back on and a competitive team is built upon.

5. Denver Broncos: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
There’s something about Josh Allen in his physical skills that makes coaches take note and scouts drool over potential. At his best I think John Elway might see some of himself in the raw Allen and that might be too much to pass up when it comes to selecting a QB. Choosing between him and a guard being the best player left on the board makes this easier.

6. Buffalo Bills: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
*MOCK TRADE* This is the first time I’ve ever mocked a trade. If Rosen is still on the board after the first five picks one team will get aggressive. Buffalo has proven already to be aggressive in pursuit of their quarterback this draft.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Derwin James, S, Florida State
Last time I mocked Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Buccaneers, this time I’m picking James for many of the same reasons. Tampa needs to get better playmaking in its secondary and James is the best pure safety in the draft and can help in both the pass and run game. A player like James will help the Buccaneers take the next step as they attempt to become a contender.

8. Chicago Bears: Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
After acquiring their quarterback of the future last year, the Bears need to fill some of the many holes on one of the lesser rosters in the NFL. Job one should be protecting Mitchell Trubisky, and the best player in the draft just happens to be a plug and play guard, who should help Chicago’s offense for the next decade-plus.

9. San Francisco 49ers: Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
Nick Saban has called Fitzpatrick one of the best players he’s ever coached, that’s high praise that should indicate just where Fitzpatrick will enter the league. Jimmy G has helped improve the offense in an instant. Adding Fitzpatrick to Richard Sherman in the secondary would make a significant impact on the defense. Adding a safety like him gives the Niners a leader on the back end.

10. Oakland Raiders: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
The Raiders have a large hole at inside linebacker and Edmunds can fill the void in a major way.
Pairing Smith with Khalil Mack would give Oakland a jumpstart on building one of the most
feared linebacking corps in the NFL. Edmunds has all the athletic traits you look for in a middle linebacker and if he can land in a system and organization that can teach him the finer points of the game they’ve got a center piece of the defense for years to come.

11. Miami Dolphins: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
The Dolphins will be getting Raekwon McMillan back in the middle of their defense this year, adding Roquan Smith to the outside linebacker spot will remake the core of Miami’s defense in a big way. Smith is an athletic freak that can make huge plays all over the field and can take the ball away from the offense as well.

12. Indianapolis Colts: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
*MOCK TRADE* After two trades down that help other teams land franchise quarterbacks the Colts still manage to land the best cornerback in this draft class in this scenario. Ward is simply the next in the line of elite corners to come out of Ohio State. A ferocious competitor that makes up for lack of size with speed, technique and incredible want-to. Ward is the only shutdown corner in this class.

13. Washington Redskins: Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Washington needs help at every level of the defense and they start right in the middle of the trenches. One of the team’s biggest needs is a run stuffing defensive tackle who has enough athleticism to provide a bit of a push in the passing game. That fits Vea to a tee. Washington’s replacement for Danny Shelton, turned out to be a more athletic version, which should fare very well at the top level.

14. Green Bay Packers: Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa
The Packers defense needs a lot of help as the residents of Lambeau Field are in a strange state of transition. They still have Aaron Rodgers which makes them a contender at any point, but the Packers have holes over a lot of their roster as talent acquisition over the past few years hasn’t been great. They have a hole at cornerback after trading away ill-fitted Damarious Randall earlier this off-season. Jackson is a ball hawk that should help immediately in the secondary.

15. Arizona Cardinals: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
I’ve maintained an offensive tackle here and this is the second straight time McGlinchey has been the pick and I’m pretty certain of it. The Cardinals need to upgrade their offensive line and Mike McGlinchey could be a plug and play tackle for Arizona for the foreseeable future. McGlinchey is as polished of a tackle as you can find in the NCAA these days and once he grows into his body and adds more strength and weight with an NFL weight program McGlinchey will be on his way.

16. Baltimore Ravens: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
It’s the end of an era in Baltimore, the final draft in which Ozzie Newsome will be running things for the Ravens. Ridley would give Baltimore a playmaker on offense unlike any they’ve had for a really long time. Also, being able to acquire a top-rated guy at his position this far into the first round is again an asset that is hard to pass up. Another guy that I have maintained in this spot throughout the evaluation process.

17. Los Angeles Chargers: Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
The Chargers gave up the second most rushing yards per game last season, enter the best run stuffing defensive tackle in this draft in Da’Ron Payne. Payne should help LA immediately and offer some versatility in the way he is used over someone like Vea.

18. Seattle Seahawks: Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA
I still think an offensive lineman could be the choice here, but the way the board fell, the second best pass rusher could be too good to pass up as Seattle re-builds its defense.

19. Dallas Cowboys: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
The Cowboys cut Dez Bryant and now they need to figure out how to replace him. Sutton actually reminds me of Dez Bryant to an extent in that he’s a physical receiver, who can make contested catches. He’s not a burner, neither is Bryant, and he doesn’t have Bryant’s top end playmaking, but at a minimum he’s a strong possession guy.

20. Detroit Lions: Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
The Lions have been looking to replace Suh for a few years now and Hurst isn’t the same player as Suh, but he should still fortify the strength of Detroit’s interior defense. This year should be a very meat and potatoes draft for the Lions and staying local to get the former Wolverine should be a good place to start.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: James Daniels, C, Iowa
The Bengals offensive line continues to age and weaken from the point when Cincy was challenging for a playoff spot every season. Daniels comes from Iowa’s offensive line factory and his technique and style is what you’d expect from a Kirk Ferentz coached center. Daniels gets plugged in right away and help solidify the interior of the Bengals line.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia
*MOCK TRADE* If the Colts stay at #6 in my mock draft I would have them take Quenton Nelson. As it is they still strengthen the offensive line with the second-best guard in the draft with their bonus pick after getting the top corner in the class with Buffalo’s first first round selection.

23. NE Patriots: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
The Patriots traded for this pick shortly after my last mock draft. New England’s top need remains to be competition and help at the offensive tackle position. Instead of waiting, the Patriots can address the spot with this pick taking the second-best tackle in this class.

24. Carolina Panthers: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
The second straight time I have a corner going to the Panthers as they need to fill a starting hole there. Alexander isn’t quite the cover guy that Jackson is, but he’s athletic and should be able to step in on defense and make an impact in the return game as well.

25. Tennessee Titans: Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
Back to where I started this process with Harold Landry going to Nashville. Landry has elite athletic ability and can get after the quarterback around the edge well enough to be more than sufficient in the NFL. Landry should help the Titans weak pass rush.

26. Atlanta Falcons: Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
Bryan is an interesting prospect, he really doesn’t have much of a track record except for a breakout junior season and he probably could have used another season in college, but still he’s a guy that if an NFL team has patience and the program in place could really develop into a good player. He’s got rare athletic gifts for a DT, but is also under-sized for the position, I could actually see the Falcons moving him around a bit depending on situation.

27. New Orleans Saints: Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
The Saints have never adequately replaced Jimmy Graham, Coby Fleener is a good role player, but Drew Brees could use the type of matchup problem that Graham provided as an elite receiving threat. Hurst is that type of player and can attack a defense at all three levels as a great route runner and impeccable hands.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
The Steelers need to find a replacement for Ryan Shazier, who will most likely not be ready for
2018 at best and might not play again at worst. Evans is a leader and guy that has great instincts that can step in and help Pittsburgh begin to fill that huge hole in the middle of the defense. He’s not the athlete Shazier was, but he’s a nasty football player who will get after the ball.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
More weapons, weapons, weapons. As the Jags continue to try and develop Blake Bortles they need to find a way to replace Allen Robinson’s production and a combo of Moore and Donte Moncrief could help that become a reality. Jacksonville is set up on defense to be a contender for the foreseeable future, but they need to improve on offense to keep that status.

30. Minnesota Vikings: Will Hernandez, OL, UTEP
Will Hernandez is another in the line of guards that are among the best offensive line prospects in this year’s draft. Hernandez played against inferior competition, but still managed to play with the style and technique that attracted plenty of attention. He should help the Vikings as they attempt to construct an offensive line worthy of a contender and capable of protecting the investment in Kirk Cousins.

31. New England Patriots: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
After attacking a need earlier in the round the Patriots manage to come back in the back of the first round and help benefit their defense this time around. New England needs to be faster and more aggressive in the back of the defense and Oliver should help them fill the Butler void.

32. Philadelphia Eagles: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
The Eagles could use a guy to pair with Jay Ajayi in the backfield and Guice’s more physical running style between the tackles should compliment what Ajayi brings to the table. Anything Philly can do to lessen the load on Wentz as he recovers from injury would be beneficial to the attempt to repeat as world champions.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Re: The Legend's Mock Draft

Postby DBSoT » Apr 25, '18, 3:02 pm

I have been incredibly busy and completely forgot about our SquaredCircle Mock draft. @The Legend, you did a pretty good job with your Mock, though. For the most part I really don't hate any of the picks. I think Cleveland drafting Chubb and their QB is the best possible scenario. I think Mayfield has the potential to be the best QB in this class, but Darnold is the safer pick at this point. The Buffalo trade was a little odd though. Indy, Tampa Bay, Chicago, San Francisco, Oakland and Miami all have young QBs and likely won't be drafting one that early. Maybe Miami, but I think they give Tannehill another year. The Lions should draft a DL or DE, so Hurst would be just fine. I would prefer Landry, but DL is more a more pressing issue at this point. I also hope the Lions don't draft Davenport. He is basically in the same boat Ziggy was in coming out of college. All the potential in the world, but needs to learn the game. Lightning is not likely to strike twice.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 218

Re: The Legend's Mock Draft

Postby The Legend » Apr 25, '18, 4:39 pm

DBSoT wrote:I have been incredibly busy and completely forgot about our SquaredCircle Mock draft. @The Legend, you did a pretty good job with your Mock, though. For the most part I really don't hate any of the picks. I think Cleveland drafting Chubb and their QB is the best possible scenario. I think Mayfield has the potential to be the best QB in this class, but Darnold is the safer pick at this point. The Buffalo trade was a little odd though. Indy, Tampa Bay, Chicago, San Francisco, Oakland and Miami all have young QBs and likely won't be drafting one that early. Maybe Miami, but I think they give Tannehill another year. The Lions should draft a DL or DE, so Hurst would be just fine. I would prefer Landry, but DL is more a more pressing issue at this point. I also hope the Lions don't draft Davenport. He is basically in the same boat Ziggy was in coming out of college. All the potential in the world, but needs to learn the game. Lightning is not likely to strike twice.

Thanks for your response. I really think getting Chubb to pair with Myles Garrett would make this a strong first round and as a Browns fan is the scenario I'm hoping for, along with using the first pick to finally find the best quarterback since Bernie Kosar in Cleveland. As for the actual quarterbacks, the guy I like the most is Rosen, except for health concerns. Mayfield is totally boom or bust to me and Allen scares the crap out of me personally.

As for the QB trade, I think Buffalo makes the most sense for the fourth QB and is probably desperate enough to make a move up. I think a trade up for the final of the Big 4 QB's will be necessary to grab him though. Between Miami (I wouldn't get a QB, but I think they might), Washington (Alex Smith is getting up there), Arizona, Chargers and even New England there's going to be a team that will move up and once we get through the first five picks I think teams will be looking to trade down if the price is right, because there aren't a lot of special players that are really separate from others.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Return to NFL