It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 9:45 am

They have 2 weeks.

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Re: They have 2 weeks.

Postby prophet » Dec 17, '13, 3:32 pm

DBSoT wrote:No offense, that first line is proof you have never been a Lions fan.

None taken - I never claimed to be a Lions fan :lol

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Locke » Dec 17, '13, 6:35 pm

UTK wrote:
The Legend wrote:
UTK wrote:How do you survive 2008 but struggle to get through this year?

Not to speak for him, but to speak for him, there's a building effect the longer issues go and I also find that seasons where I figured there was no hope were easier to get through because I just didn't get emotionally invested, but to get to a point in the season where you are really optimistic to all the sudden have the rug pulled out will suck.

Jesus, then why haven't I quit yet. The Giants are so unpredictable I think I've been traumatized by all the rug-pulling. I may have significant brain damage from them flip-flopping so often.

Boo hoo. :lol The Giants have been in the Super Bowl five times and won four of them since I've been alive.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 137

Postby UTK » Dec 17, '13, 8:16 pm

Locke wrote:
UTK wrote:
The Legend wrote:
UTK wrote:How do you survive 2008 but struggle to get through this year?

Not to speak for him, but to speak for him, there's a building effect the longer issues go and I also find that seasons where I figured there was no hope were easier to get through because I just didn't get emotionally invested, but to get to a point in the season where you are really optimistic to all the sudden have the rug pulled out will suck.

Jesus, then why haven't I quit yet. The Giants are so unpredictable I think I've been traumatized by all the rug-pulling. I may have significant brain damage from them flip-flopping so often.

Boo hoo. :lol The Giants have been in the Super Bowl five times and won four of them since I've been alive.

Hey hey, I'm not the one pouting here. I'm grateful for their inconsistent luck.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Locke » Dec 17, '13, 8:19 pm

I'd be pleased with any luck in general. I mean, 1993 since one single playoff victory is harsh.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Romo » Dec 18, '13, 9:01 am

Losing is part of being a fan, you'd get bored if all you did is win, my week isn't complete without it, a typical week as a Bolton/Cowboys fan:

Monday: You rant a little about how the team did on the weekend calling the team a bunch of useless twonks.
Tuesday: You find the little positives but yet still bitch and moan to whoever will listen.
Wednesday: You moan about how you could do a better job than the useless *insert managers name*
Thursday: You get ready for this weekends game by using statements like "we'll turn it around this week".
Friday: Pre game blues, nerves set in and you just want to game out the way
Saturday: Game day, you go through every emotion possible and its fucking amazing
Sunday: Cowboys game day, every play that fucking defense makes has you tearing your eyes, every mistake has you close to tears.

I wouldn't change any of the emotions and shit I go through following both yes I love winning and would love to get to the playoffs/superbowl or back into the premier league but If neither happens I would never dream of going to following a team that won all the time because i'd miss everything you go through as a fan.

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Everlong » Dec 18, '13, 9:58 am

Locke wrote:I'd be pleased with any luck in general. I mean, 1993 since one single playoff victory is harsh.

In all likelihood, the Chiefs will open the playoffs against either the Bengals or Colts this year. I'd be shocked if they don't win.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Dec 18, '13, 11:23 am

Everlong wrote:
Locke wrote:I'd be pleased with any luck in general. I mean, 1993 since one single playoff victory is harsh.

In all likelihood, the Chiefs will open the playoffs against either the Bengals or Colts this year. I'd be shocked if they don't win.

I would agree. I see the Chiefs beating the Colts right now in the 4/5 matchup. The Bengals and Ravens will face off in the 3/6 matchup with the home team (division winner) winning that one. The Chiefs will probably have some issues facing the Broncos in the divisional round.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Locke » Dec 18, '13, 7:20 pm

^You both are writing off 20 years of history because you're assuming that Chiefs have a normal playoff team like other NFL teams have had in the last two decades. Do not underestimate the power of the Chiefs' choke ability. Even if it was against this year's Redskins (who we dominated regular season), the possibility of the Chiefs just NOT SHOWING UP would be higher than them winning. Mark my words. We'll talk about this in a few weeks. :lol

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Dec 19, '13, 10:10 am

Locke wrote:^You both are writing off 20 years of history because you're assuming that Chiefs have a normal playoff team like other NFL teams have had in the last two decades. Do not underestimate the power of the Chiefs' choke ability. Even if it was against this year's Redskins (who we dominated regular season), the possibility of the Chiefs just NOT SHOWING UP would be higher than them winning. Mark my words. We'll talk about this in a few weeks. :lol

Eh. I always hate when analysts bring up "such and such team hasn't won a playoff game since X" or "when these conditions are present, such and such team has X record all-time." The past has zero bearing on what a team is able to accomplish. This is a completely different Chiefs team than 2006, or 1997, or whenever you want to go back to. There is zero relationship between this team and teams of the past, so any statistics taken using the accomplishments/failures of past years has zero bearing on what will happen.

It's like when the Packers lost to the Falcons at home in the playoffs in 2002. It was the first time the Packers had ever lost a playoff game at home in the history of their franchise. Everybody was making a huge deal of this, but it's like... how is that even a relevant statistic? It's not like that particular team was undefeated at home. We're talking decades of history and thousands of players putting that together.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby The Legend » Dec 19, '13, 11:18 am

Everlong wrote:
Locke wrote:^You both are writing off 20 years of history because you're assuming that Chiefs have a normal playoff team like other NFL teams have had in the last two decades. Do not underestimate the power of the Chiefs' choke ability. Even if it was against this year's Redskins (who we dominated regular season), the possibility of the Chiefs just NOT SHOWING UP would be higher than them winning. Mark my words. We'll talk about this in a few weeks. :lol

Eh. I always hate when analysts bring up "such and such team hasn't won a playoff game since X" or "when these conditions are present, such and such team has X record all-time." The past has zero bearing on what a team is able to accomplish. This is a completely different Chiefs team than 2006, or 1997, or whenever you want to go back to. There is zero relationship between this team and teams of the past, so any statistics taken using the accomplishments/failures of past years has zero bearing on what will happen.

It's like when the Packers lost to the Falcons at home in the playoffs in 2002. It was the first time the Packers had ever lost a playoff game at home in the history of their franchise. Everybody was making a huge deal of this, but it's like... how is that even a relevant statistic? It's not like that particular team was undefeated at home. We're talking decades of history and thousands of players putting that together.

To a degree you are right, but there is something underlying to a team's consistent past history that seeps into the psyche. When you play for a team that never wins that town has an ability to develop a certain emotional personality. If you lose a game or a string of games questions from the press quickly turn to if this is the same old team, and what is wrong, sports talk is always faster to turn negative than positive (if a player happens to hear some of it and usually you can't avoid it all), and in a game if you are a home team that has something go wrong your fans are quicker to panic and have the stadium lose its energy.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Locke » Dec 19, '13, 11:59 am

Because in the NFL, luck and curses are real and the Chiefs have one nasty curse. *nod*

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Dec 19, '13, 12:15 pm

Unrelated, but a question for you Locke: how far would the Chiefs need to go in the playoffs for you to be satisfied with what they've accomplished this year? Would one playoff victory be enough, or do you need more than that?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Locke » Dec 19, '13, 12:20 pm

^If they won one playoff game, I would be happy. It'd be a 20 year curse broken, then anything could happen after that (or it could be another 20 years).

If they got to the AFC championship game, I'd probably die from the stress it would cause.

If they made it to a Super Bowl, I'd consider it "life success" win or lose (assuming I survived the AFC championship).

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Dec 19, '13, 12:23 pm

I'm actually kind of hoping the Chiefs and Bengals meet in the playoffs... BOTH of those teams are on 20+ year postseason win droughts, so at least one would come to an end!

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby ShaneOfan » Dec 19, '13, 12:36 pm

Everlong wrote:I'm actually kind of hoping the Chiefs and Bengals meet in the playoffs... BOTH of those teams are on 20+ year postseason win droughts, so at least one would come to an end!

That's a good point, that would be interesting. Especially playing in CInci.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Locke » Dec 22, '13, 1:27 pm

Chiefs looking like complete shit against Colts right now, a game which they were supposed to handily win. See what I mean? If the Colts are who we face in the playoffs, this shit could self-destruct so easily.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Dec 22, '13, 1:52 pm

Locke wrote:Chiefs looking like complete shit against Colts right now, a game which they were supposed to handily win. See what I mean? If the Colts are who we face in the playoffs, this shit could self-destruct so easily.

Eh, neither team really needs this game at the moment, so I wouldn't look into it too much.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Locke » Dec 22, '13, 1:57 pm

If they didn't need the win they wouldn't need their main players out there taking injuries.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Dec 23, '13, 6:28 am

Sometimes it works for a team to lose against a team in the regular season and turn around and play them in the playoffs. You learn what works and more importantly doesn't work and the team that wins can develop a false sense of security.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Dec 23, '13, 4:24 pm

Locke wrote:If they didn't need the win they wouldn't need their main players out there taking injuries.

Cardinals and Packers played in the final regular season game in 2009. Neither team needed the win but they both played their starters. They winded up playing each other in the playoffs the very next week. Packers killed the Cardinals in the regular season game, Cardinals won in the playoff game.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

PreviousNext

Return to NFL