It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 4:52 am

Are You A Fake Fan?

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Are You A Fake Fan?

Postby EmperorWu » Nov 26, '16, 7:24 am

If you cheer for more than one team? I like a lot of teams, and will watch any just about any game I can in general. I'll list my top 5 teams and reasons I like them, but according to some people you can only be a fan of one team, or else you're a fake fan, or a bandwagon fan. If one of your other teams is having a good season.

1. Seahawks (Home town team, I admit I did jump on the bandwagon, but I've liked them since I was a kid. Just wasn't a hardcore football fan as a kid.)
2. Raiders (My older brother's favorite team of all time, I grew up with them)
3. Vikings (My other brother's favorite team, he's been a diehard fan since I was a kid, so I grew up with them as well.)
4. Browns (They are technically my second favorite team, but I haven't been a fan for as long. This is purely started as an underdog thing. Also I have always played as them on Madden, so I know most of their players and playbook. I just have a soft spot for them, and have grown to love them, also I love their colors. Guess no one can accuse me of being a bandwagon fan at least :P)
5. Whichever team is playing the Patriots. ( :rotf It's true, damn true)

I also enjoy a lot of other teams, the Bills, you know why. Fins, Tampa Bay, Cards, that started from playing as them on NFL Blitz back in the day. The list goes on, like teams that have players I like. For example I cheered for the Colts when they had Hasselbeck starting. I've been called a bandwagon fan for cheering for a team I've liked for years. Although as a Seahawks fan, people already assume you're a bandwagon fan.

If you jumped on the bandwagon? I hear that a lot from Pats fans, but didn't they just join their bandwagon sooner? Unless they were "born into" the team. I feel like a lot of fans favorite team, is a team that was good when they started watching. Most Pats fans I know aren't old enough to have cheered for them when they sucked. Are they not bandwagon fans too?

What is a fake fan to you guys? I'm just interested on your thoughts on the subject.

Also I found this picture, that I can at least agree with.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 62

Re: Are You A Fake Fan?

Postby The Legend » Nov 26, '16, 9:16 am

I don't really like the term fake fan. It doesn't really describe anything. There's diehard fans that stick by a team no matter what, there's bandwagon fans that jump from one team to another because it's the hip thing to do and there's fairweather fans that only pay attention to a team when they are good.

As for me, I'm really only a diehard fan of the Browns, but there's a few other teams I'll pay attention to occasionally. The Cowboys this year are beginning to be one for me, because I was a fan of Zeke Elliott at OSU and Dak Prescott seems like a cool dude and an interesting story. I became a fan of the Packers right around when the Browns left Cleveland because at the time a "city owned" team seemed awesome to me. And I always hope for teams like the Lions and Bills to do well because I know what it's like to be a fan of an eternally crappy team. I can't say I follow the on goings of teams like that as much as I do the Browns, but when a game's on I usually find one team or another to cheer for. Although sometimes it's rooting against one team, I always root against the Steelers, Ravens, Broncos and Patriots and usually against the Seahawks because I can't stand most of the personalities on the team (Russell Wilson is the one exception).

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby ShaneOfan » Nov 26, '16, 12:24 pm

I don't think so. Especially not anymore. Between getting games from out of your market and fantasy football, I feel a lot of people are open to a whole lot more opportunities to invest in both the players and the game itself.

There is nothing wrong with liking one team more then the others, but still liking the game. I LOVE baseball. The Phillies are my favorite team, but I would honestly rather watch a great ChiSox v A's game then a crappy Phillies game. I am a fan of the team but not a SUPER FAN.

That said when it comes to the NFL I LOVE the Bills and bleed red and blue. Just like the Fighting Irish, I'll watch a bad Irish or Bills game but will also watch other games from both leagues.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 260

Postby Everlong » Nov 28, '16, 3:58 pm

As far as I'm concerned, go Pack Go and fuck everyone else.

But there are some teams that I have soft spots for. I've always liked the Raiders, and I like to see teams like the Chiefs, 49ers and Bills do well. I'd love to see the Browns and Jaguars and Dolphins start winning regularly again too.

But I don't really actively cheer for anyone outside of the Packers.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Return to NFL