It is currently: May 17, '24, 11:35 am

Week 5 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 5 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Oct 04, '16, 12:22 pm

We’ve made it through one quarter of the regular season, and there are certainly plenty of surprises. Arizona and St. Louis, er, Los Angeles, are basically in opposite places of what you’d expect. The Eagles are one of three unbeaten teams, as are the Petersonless, Bridgewaterless Vikings.

This week sees the return of Tom Brady, a whole bunch of interconference matchups, and a Sunday Night game that conflicts with the second presidential debate (who the fuck thought that was a good idea?). Here we go!

GAME OF THE WEEK – Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-0), DEN by 6 – This is the epitome of a strength versus strength matchup, here. The Falcons have been playing out of their minds offensively this year, with both Matt Ryan and Julio Jones looking like early-season MVP candidates. And of course, the Broncos most likely have the very best defense in the business, and have done a number on all opposing quarterbacks they’ve faced stretching back to the latter part of last season. Going to be fascinating to see what happens here. But if history tells us anything, it’s that the Broncos’ defense trumps high-caliber passing offenses. Broncos 23, Falcons 20

THURSDAY NIGHT – Arizona Cardinals (1-3) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), ARZ by 4.5 – Who’d have thought the Cardinals would be playing to stay out of last place in the division after four weeks of the season? That’s exactly what this game is. The 49ers are both banged up and offensively neutered, so as poorly as the Cardinals are playing, this one just seems like a gimme. Cardinals 27, 49ers 6

Houston Texans (3-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-0), MIN by 6 – Houston may be 3-1, but they simply don’t have the mettle or team makeup it takes to get past a squad as tough as the Vikings, especially on the road. Vikings 20, Texans 9

Tennessee Titans (1-3) at Miami Dolphins (1-3), MIA by 3.5 – These two teams are already playing for nothing more than draft position. The Dolphins are a hot mess, but they’ve got more talent and better coaching than the Titans, who have zero stars and, by winning percentage, the second-worst coach in the history of the NFL. Dolphins 20, Titans 13

New England Patriots (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-4), NE by 10.5 – As if things couldn’t get any worse for the Browns, they now get a date against the Patriots in Tom Brady’s first game back. The Patriots are going to be going balls to the wall from this point throughout the rest of the season as a “fuck you” to Roger Goodell in particular, and the poor Browns are the first victim. Patriots 37, Browns 10

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), PIT by 7 – After a shockingly poor showing against the Eagles, the Steelers rebounded and showed why they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with all season long. They should have no trouble with the Jets at home, given how keen the Jets seem to be on turning the ball over. Steelers 30, Jets 16

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), BAL by 4 – This is a tough one to call. On the one hand, the Ravens have played better ball than expected this season, and they’re at home. On the other hand, the Redskins are making a very short trip for this game, and have started to see their offense coming to life. But on the other other hand, this is a Redskins team that needed a RIDICULOUSLY bad fumble call on Duke Johnson to get past the lowly Browns. I’ll take the home team. Ravens 23, Redskins 17

Philadelphia Eagles (3-0) at Detroit Lions (1-3), PHI by 3 – Yikes. So much for the offensive promise showed by the Lions against the Colts and Packers. That was an ugly display against Chicago, and it gets worse against a defense in Philadelphia that is playing with a chip on its shoulder. EDIT: Decided to change this pick. Something about it screams upset, and the Eagles still haven't sold me. UPSET! - Lions 23, Eagles 17

Chicago Bears (1-3) at Indianapolis Colts (1-3), IND by 4.5 – I’ll never understand how this Colts team is able to underachieve the way it does year in and year out. They’ll pick up a victory here, but it won’t do a whole lot to quell the rising concern among Indy loyalists. Colts 23, Bears 10

Buffalo Bills (2-2) at Los Angeles Rams (3-1), LA by 2.5 – The Rams are one of the biggest surprises of the season so far. The Bills are coming off big back-to-back victories against two teams that were thought to be Super Bowl favorites this year… even if one was starting its third-string QB. This seems like prime upset territory, as the Rams tend to struggle against any competition from outside the NFC West. UPSET! – Bills 20, Rams 17

San Diego Chargers (1-3) at Oakland Raiders (3-1), OAK by 4 – The Chargers are better than any team I’ve ever seen at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. This one will be close, as divisional games are, but the Raiders are simply playing really good football and cranking out close wins, like good teams do. Raiders 31, Chargers 24

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), CIN by 1 – The Bengals didn’t have to do a whole lot to take care of business against the Dolphins. Now, after a bit of extra rest from the Thursday night game, they travel to play a Cowboys team that is certainly building some confidence. Still, the Cowboys aren’t exactly a force at home, and their wins have come against mediocre competition at best. The Bengals are too good to lose this one. Bengals 23, Cowboys 14

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), GB by 7 – Expect to see the Packers’ tattered secondary give up a shit ton of yards to ODB and Sterling Shephard. But with the Packers playing at home and in must-win position to keep up with the Vikings, they should be able to survive this one. Packers 27, Giants 24

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), CAR by 6 – I’m tempted to pick the Bucs here, because the Panthers have looked so freaking bad. But I’m going to give them one more week to show me what they got. Panthers 24, Bucs 13

BYES: Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, New Orleans Saints, Seattle Seahawks

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 5 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Oct 04, '16, 12:23 pm

Just realized I have only one upset pick... I'm probably going to have to revisit some of these choices :lol

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Oct 04, '16, 3:21 pm

Did you mean to call Odell Beckham Jr an Old Dirty Bastard? It's OBJ, not ODB. :rotf

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Oct 04, '16, 4:13 pm

The Legend wrote:Did you mean to call Odell Beckham Jr an Old Dirty Bastard? It's OBJ, not ODB. :rotf

I know what i said.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Oct 04, '16, 6:18 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-0), DEN by 6 – I could see this one going either way, especially with Paxton Lynch looking like he's in line for his first start, going against Matt Ryan and that offense could be quite intimidating. However, I think that defense and the home crowd will be enough to get Denver through this game, look for a defensive score to have the potential to get them through it. Denver Broncos 27, Atlanta Falcons 25

THURSDAY NIGHT – Arizona Cardinals (1-3) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), ARZ by 4.5 – Carson Palmer has a concussion and is on a short week. It would seem unlikely that he'd play. For now I'll say he doesn't play and I'll predict the Niners carry through. If Palmer plays I may revisit this pick. UPSET!!! SF Niners 23, Arizona Cardinals 21

Houston Texans (3-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-0), MIN by 6 – The Vikings are for real this year and they aren't going anywhere. The Texans on the other hand are total pretenders. Minnesota Vikings 21, Houston Texans 16

Tennessee Titans (1-3) at Miami Dolphins (1-3), MIA by 3.5 – Both of these teams will be picking in the top 5 next spring. They are both a mess, but the Phins have a little more firepower. Miami Dolphins 21, Tennessee Titans 20

New England Patriots (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-4), NE by 10.5 – So let's break this down. Tom Brady is pretty good and he'll be coming back pissed off, the Browns can't cover tight ends and the Pats have a pretty good one in Rob Gronkowski, finally, Bill Belichick is pretty good at scheming up defenses and the Browns currently have a QB that doesn't throw the ball to the left side of the field or more than 10 yards down the field. This one is going to be ugly. NE Patriots 34, Cleveland Browns 13

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), PIT by 7 – The Steelers are really good at football. The Jets are the opposite of that. Pittsburgh Steelers 27, NY Jets 20

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), BAL by 4 – One of the shortest road trips in the NFL, but the home team is also the far superior team. Baltimore is better than the Skins in every phase of the game. Baltimore Ravens 24, Washington Redskins 21

Philadelphia Eagles (3-0) at Detroit Lions (1-3), PHI by 3 – At some point I expect the Eagles to come back to earth a bit, I just don't see it this week. Their defense is good enough to shut down the Lions' offense and the offense should still have success. Philly Eagles 27, Detroit Lions 19

Chicago Bears (1-3) at Indianapolis Colts (1-3), IND by 4.5 – This is a coin flip game because neither of these teams are very good or all that consistent or reliable. I'll take the Colts, but don't feel good about it. Indy Colts 26, Chicago Bears 23

Buffalo Bills (2-2) at Los Angeles Rams (3-1), LA by 2.5 – I'm not sure what to do with this game. Logic would probably dictate the Rams should win, but the last few weeks in the NFL what should happen so rarely is what is happening. Total limb reach. UPSET!!! Buffalo Bills 20, LA Rams 18

San Diego Chargers (1-3) at Oakland Raiders (3-1), OAK by 4 – The Raiders are simply better and the Chargers are quickly becoming a bigger and bigger mess. Oakland Raiders 28, SD Chargers 27

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), CIN by 1 – Someone tell me why the Bengals are favored? Seriously, the Cowboys are a much better team and are quickly becoming one of my favorite NFL teams to watch play. UPSET!!! Dallas Cowboys 23, Cincy Bengals 20

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), GB by 7 – Thank God for this game and the chance to avoid another pointless debate. It should be a pretty good game. GB Packers 30, NY Giants 27

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), CAR by 6 – Right now I'll stick with the Panthers, but if Derek Anderson is starting I'll probably change my mind. Carolina Panthers 28, TB Buccaneers 26

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby HFX » Oct 05, '16, 11:10 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-0), DEN by 6 – UPSET!!! Falcons 28, Broncos 24

THURSDAY NIGHT – Arizona Cardinals (1-3) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), ARZ by 4.5 – UPSET!!! 49ers 24, Cardinals 21

Houston Texans (3-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-0), MIN by 6 – Vikings 30, Texans 17

Tennessee Titans (1-3) at Miami Dolphins (1-3), MIA by 3.5 – UPSET!!! Titans 20, Dolphins 17

New England Patriots (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-4), NE by 10.5 – Patriots 42, Browns 13

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), PIT by 7 – Steelers 35, Jets 20

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), BAL by 4 – UPSET!!! Redskins 22, Ravens 20

Philadelphia Eagles (3-0) at Detroit Lions (1-3), PHI by 3 – Eagles 27, Lions 20

Chicago Bears (1-3) at Indianapolis Colts (1-3), IND by 4.5 – Colts 23, Bears 16

Buffalo Bills (2-2) at Los Angeles Rams (3-1), LA by 2.5 – Rams 18, Bills 16

San Diego Chargers (1-3) at Oakland Raiders (3-1), OAK by 4 – Raiders 32, Chargers 26

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), CIN by 1 – Bengals 30, Cowboys 17

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), GB by 7 – Packers 34, Giants 29

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), CAR by 6 – Panthers 26, Buccaneers 13

Last edited by HFX on Oct 06, '16, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby CMPUNKFAN » Oct 05, '16, 11:14 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-0), DEN by 6 – Broncos 24 Falcons 20

THURSDAY NIGHT – Arizona Cardinals (1-3) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), ARZ by 4.5 – Cardinals 20 49ers 10

Houston Texans (3-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-0), MIN by 6 – Vikings 23 Texans 13

Tennessee Titans (1-3) at Miami Dolphins (1-3), MIA by 3.5 – UPSET!!! Titans 17 Dolphins 10

New England Patriots (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-4), NE by 10.5 – Patriots 31 Browns 10

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), PIT by 7 – Steelers 27 Jets 14

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), BAL by 4 – Ravens 24 Redskins 23

Philadelphia Eagles (3-0) at Detroit Lions (1-3), PHI by 3 – Eagles 31 Lions 14

Chicago Bears (1-3) at Indianapolis Colts (1-3), IND by 4.5 – Colts 28 Bears 13

Buffalo Bills (2-2) at Los Angeles Rams (3-1), LA by 2.5 – UPSET!!! Bills 21 Rams 17

San Diego Chargers (1-3) at Oakland Raiders (3-1), OAK by 4 – Raiders 23 Chargers 20

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), CIN by 1 – Bengals 24 Cowboys 10

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), GB by 7 – Packers 31 Giants 27

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), CAR by 6 – Panthers 24 Buccaneers 16

BYES: Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, New Orleans Saints, Seattle Seahawks

CMPUNKFAN Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 119

Postby JDD » Oct 05, '16, 6:38 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-0), DEN by 6 – Broncos

THURSDAY NIGHT – Arizona Cardinals (1-3) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), ARZ by 4.5 – Cardinals

Houston Texans (3-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-0), MIN by 6 – Vikings

Tennessee Titans (1-3) at Miami Dolphins (1-3), MIA by 3.5 – Dolphins

New England Patriots (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-4), NE by 10.5 – Patriots

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), PIT by 7 – Steelers

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), BAL by 4 – Ravens

Philadelphia Eagles (3-0) at Detroit Lions (1-3), PHI by 3 – Eagles

Chicago Bears (1-3) at Indianapolis Colts (1-3), IND by 4.5 – Colts

Buffalo Bills (2-2) at Los Angeles Rams (3-1), LA by 2.5 – Rams

San Diego Chargers (1-3) at Oakland Raiders (3-1), OAK by 4 – Raiders

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), CIN by 1 – Upset! Cowboys

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), GB by 7 – Upset! Giants

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), CAR by 6 – Upset! Buccaneers

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby EmperorWu » Oct 06, '16, 5:21 am

Broncos
Cardinals
Vikings
Dolphins
Patriots
Steelers
Ravens
Eagles
Bears
Bills
Raiders
Bengals
Giants
Buccaneers

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby xgamr » Oct 06, '16, 5:56 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-0), DEN by 6 – Broncos

THURSDAY NIGHT – Arizona Cardinals (1-3) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), ARZ by 4.5 – UPSET 49ers

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), PIT by 7 Steelers

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), BAL by 4 – UPSET Redskins

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), CIN by 1 – Bengals

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), GB by 7 – Packers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), CAR by 6 – UPSET Bucs

Last edited by xgamr on Oct 09, '16, 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby DBSoT » Oct 06, '16, 11:57 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-0), Denver - The drop off from Simien to Lynch isn't that big.

THURSDAY NIGHT – Arizona Cardinals (1-3) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), Arizona - Already picked this one correct.

Houston Texans (3-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-0), Minnesota - I should have stuck with my Vikings Superbowl pick, DAMN IT!!

Tennessee Titans (1-3) at Miami Dolphins (1-3), Miami - Both teams suck, Miami is at home.

New England Patriots (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-4), New England - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), Pittsburgh - If Minnesota looks like the best team in the NFL currently, than the Steelers are #2 (or #3 behind New England).

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), Washington - Baltimore is worse than their record shows. They will come back to earth this week.

Philadelphia Eagles (3-0) at Detroit Lions (1-3), Philadelphia - Is Jim Caldwell still coaching? Ok, than i will be selecting the Eagles. Wentz continues to prove me right, that he is the best rookie QB.

Chicago Bears (1-3) at Indianapolis Colts (1-3), Chicago - This game is garbage, but at least Chicago showed a pulse last week.

Buffalo Bills (2-2) at Los Angeles Rams (3-1), Buffalo - Fisher has to get closer to .500 soon.

San Diego Chargers (1-3) at Oakland Raiders (3-1), Oakland - Derek Carr is a star and the Chargers can't get out of their own way at the end of games.

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), Cincinnati - This is the week that Dax and Zeke look like rookies and come back to earth a bit. This is a learning situation for them.

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), Green Bay - This should be a good game, but I don't bet against Green Bay in Lambeau.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), Carolina - I really wish I knew who was the QB for the Panthers on Sunday. I think Cam plays, but who knows. Tampa Bay has issues in their secondary for Cam to exploit.

Last edited by DBSoT on Oct 07, '16, 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Messiah » Oct 06, '16, 2:08 pm

Cardinals over 49ers

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby RatedRBowler » Oct 06, '16, 4:47 pm

49ers > Cardinals UPSET! (Fuck it, need points)
Broncos > Falcons
Vikings > Texans
Dolphins > Titans
Pats > Browns
Steelers > Jets
Ravens > Skins
Eagles > Lions
Colts > Bears
Bills > Rams UPSET!
Raiders > Chargers
Bengals > Cowboys
Packers > Giants
Panthers > Bucs

Last edited by RatedRBowler on Oct 09, '16, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GO PACK GO!!!!!!!

Thanks to Tim for both of my awesome sigs!!
RatedRBowler Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 4

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 07, '16, 8:52 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Denver Broncos (4-0), DEN by 6 – DENVER

Houston Texans (3-1) at Minnesota Vikings (4-0), MIN by 6 – MINNESOTA

Tennessee Titans (1-3) at Miami Dolphins (1-3), MIA by 3.5 – MIAMI

New England Patriots (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (0-4), NE by 10.5 – NEW ENGLAND

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), PIT by 7 – PITTSBURGH

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), BAL by 4 – BALTIMORE

Philadelphia Eagles (3-0) at Detroit Lions (1-3), PHI by 3 – PHILADELPHIA

Chicago Bears (1-3) at Indianapolis Colts (1-3), IND by 4.5 – UPSET!! CHICAGO

Buffalo Bills (2-2) at Los Angeles Rams (3-1), LA by 2.5 – UPSET!! BUFFALO

San Diego Chargers (1-3) at Oakland Raiders (3-1), OAK by 4 – OAKLAND

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), CIN by 1 – UPSET!! DALLAS

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), GB by 7 – GREEN BAY

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), CAR by 6 – CAROLINA

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Philip Rivers » Oct 09, '16, 10:36 am

New York Jets (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1), PIT by 7 – Steelers

Washington Redskins (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1), BAL by 4 – Ravens

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (3-1), CIN by 1 –Bungholes

New York Giants (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-1), GB by 7 – Packers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (1-3), CAR by 6 – Panthers

Philip Rivers Male
B+ Player
B+ Player

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 100

Postby Everlong » Oct 11, '16, 12:20 pm

RESULTS

Everlong: 11-5, hit two upsets
HFX: 11-5, hit two upsets
CMPUNKFAN: 11-5, hit two upsets
The Legend: 10-6, hit two upsets
Xgamr: 10-6, hit two upsets
DBSoT: 10-6, hit two upsets
JDD: 10-6, hit two upsets
Str8Shooter: 9-6, hit two upsets
EmperorWu: 9-7, hit two upsets
RatedRBowler: 8-7, hit one upset
Philip Rivers: 6-7

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Return to NFL