It is currently: Jun 15, '24, 2:10 pm

Who will be the team of the '10s?

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Who will be the team of the '10s?

Postby Everlong » Jul 05, '14, 12:41 pm

If you had to make a prediction who the team of this decade will be, who would you say?

For example:

1960s: Packers (5 championships in 7 years)
1970s: Steelers (4 championships in 6 years)
1980s: 49ers (4 championships)
1990s: Cowboys (3 in 4)
2000s: Patriots (3 in 4, and another appearance with an undefeated regular season)

Right now probably the best choices are the 49ers, Seahawks or Packers. But really, we're not even halfway through the decade yet, so someone could pop up and surprise us.

The Packers won a Super Bowl in 2011 and still have the league's best quarterback, which makes a huge difference. The Seahawks just won one with a really young roster and have a lot of their key defensive pieces locked up, but we all know how hard it can be to maintain success. The 49ers have been to 3 NFC championships in 3 years, but have yet to win the big one.

Who do you say? WILL there be a team of the decade, and if so, who?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Who will be the team of the '10s?

Postby The Legend » Jul 05, '14, 12:51 pm

At the moment the Niners are obviously in the driver's seat to be the team of the decade with three straight conference championship appearances. Nobody in the NFL in the last five years can really rival that besides the Patriots, but really they are a holdover from the last decade whose time is coming to a close.

The problem with the Niners is the NFC is so deep that them keeping up this state through the next six years is fairly low, the rest of the NFC also applies to this situation. The AFC is in flux.

I have a feeling that by the end of the decade the team will be either the Colts or Bengals - whichever can conquer the Manning/Brady power combo first and start going to Super Bowls with the most frequency.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Jul 05, '14, 1:53 pm

The Legend wrote:I have a feeling that by the end of the decade the team will be either the Colts or Bengals

Colts maybe, but the Bengals aren't going anywhere until either Andy Dalton gets vastly better or they get a new quarterback that won't hold them back from postseason success. With as stacked as the rest of that team is, it's basically on Dalton at this point for them not getting past the wild card round.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby CavingSiberian » Jul 05, '14, 4:25 pm

Seahawks.

Pete Carroll and team has done a great job at building a well-oiled machine. They don't rely on one star player, they all work together to make each play a star so that the team as a whole can do great.

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 8

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 05, '14, 4:58 pm

Colts.

Really no competition in the AFC outside of Manning/Brady. I really can't think of a team outside of Manning/Brady that has a reliable QB like Luck who can play behind dreadful offensive lines and still lead his team to a victory. Someone like Andy Dalton can't do that at all.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby Everlong » Jul 05, '14, 5:01 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:I really can't think of a team outside of Manning/Brady that has a reliable QB like Luck who can play behind dreadful offensive lines and still lead his team to a victory.

I assume you're just talking AFC here? Because Rodgers has been doing that every year of his career so far.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 05, '14, 5:36 pm

Everlong wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:I really can't think of a team outside of Manning/Brady that has a reliable QB like Luck who can play behind dreadful offensive lines and still lead his team to a victory.

I assume you're just talking AFC here? Because Rodgers has been doing that every year of his career so far.

Yeah, just AFC. NFC still has Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, 49ers defense, and Seahawks defense. It's really crowded in the NFC.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby ShaneOfan » Jul 05, '14, 6:39 pm

The Bills. Hey I guy can dream.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Philip Rivers » Jul 05, '14, 7:13 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Colts.

Really no competition in the AFC outside of Manning/Brady. I really can't think of a team outside of Manning/Brady that has a reliable QB like Luck who can play behind dreadful offensive lines and still lead his team to a victory. Someone like Andy Dalton can't do that at all.

Rivers already shit on Luck once last year, let me remind you whenever he does it again this year.

Philip Rivers Male
B+ Player
B+ Player

Topics: 100

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 05, '14, 7:16 pm

Philip Rivers wrote:

Rivers already shit on Luck once last year, let me remind you whenever he does it again this year.

11-5 > 9-7

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Philip Rivers » Jul 05, '14, 7:37 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Philip Rivers wrote:

11-5 > 9-7

Hardest division in the AFC > Weakest division in the AFC

Rivers year >>>>>>>>>>>>> Lucks
Rivers handed yall that L, too.

Next. :rivers

Philip Rivers Male
B+ Player
B+ Player

Postby Philip Rivers » Jul 05, '14, 7:53 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
11-5 > 9-7

No, I can't let you slip that easy. Stop it....stop it, just admit what you have done, I will forgive you for your sins. Rivers slipped your mind, even after all those classic ass whippings he served to your Colts over time, you let him slip your memory because you're not his biggest fan.

Rivers is the 2nd best QB last season, made the playoffs, marched into Cincy and beat the Bungholes at home which hand't been done in quite sometime in the Jungle.

Served your Colts that walking L that you're continuously going to get from me. Image

Explain these 8 career post season interceptions in two years. Rivers only has 9 his entire career. Image

You've always been a good NFL punching bag. B-b-b-ut Vontae Davis is one of the best CB additions in the NFL.
Image Yeah, I still remember that.

B-B-B-ut we prepared hard for Tom Brady and the Broncos. :rotf :rotf

-----------------------------

To answer your question Tim, it's hard to count out the Broncos and Patriots, Denver just sold all out, they've been on the door step the past 3 years, New England has gotten better and added some key additions...you never know. Baltimore if they continue to do good somehow, they can be in contention...as well as Green Bay.

I'd rather see some franchises win their SB for the first time ever. Cough cough. :fu

Philip Rivers Male
B+ Player
B+ Player

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 05, '14, 8:26 pm

Philip Rivers wrote:Rivers is the 2nd best QB last season, made the playoffs, marched into Cincy and beat the Bungholes at home which hand't been done in quite sometime in the Jungle.

Explain these 8 career post season interceptions in two years. Rivers only has 9 his entire career. Image

Ahhh, poor analysis. People always want to lean on Andrew Luck's interceptions despite the fact that he has the worst interior O-Line in the NFL but if you actually sit there and watch the Colts play (which you don't at all unless they play the Chargers) you'd see that Luck literally carries the Colts to victory in Superhero like fashion. His ability to make reads down the last few minutes of the game and the ability to adjust the offense during the 4th quarter is remarkable.

8 4th quarter comebacks and 11 game winning drives. Those are the only stats that matter for Andrew Luck because a W is a W at the end of the day. Image

Oh can you please remind me when Andrew Luck had to hand off the ball 25-30 times a game like Phillip Rivers did for a majority of his career to someone as good as LT or Darren Sproles? Image

You've always been a good NFL punching bag. B-b-b-ut Vontae Davis is one of the best CB additions in the NFL.
Image Yeah, I still remember that.

Vontae Davis was a top 10 CB last season, lmaoooooooooooo. If you actually watched the games *whch you don't*, the poor defense the Colts had resided in our front 7 and our safeties, not Vontae Davis. :rotf :rotf :rotf :rotf

A good NFL punching bag? Please talk to me when the Chargers win more games than Andrew Luck in a season. Image

C'mon son, you embarrassing yourself out here, your team struggles to make it in the wildcard and you feel like the Chargers are some kind of dynasty in the AFC. Image

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby The Legend » Jul 06, '14, 6:37 am

CavingSiberian wrote:Seahawks.

Pete Carroll and team has done a great job at building a well-oiled machine. They don't rely on one star player, they all work together to make each play a star so that the team as a whole can do great.

Two problems. First, the NFC offers too much competition for any one team to dominate it at one time. Second, in the salary cap era you really need to rely on one star player if you hope to have success sustained over a long time. Seattle is already down to 7 million in space going into this year. After this year they have to decide what they want to do with Sidney Rice, Michael Robinson, and others next year. Two years from now it will be Cliff Avril and even more guys.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby CavingSiberian » Jul 06, '14, 8:42 am

It's a team sport.... not a "Oh look, I'm Peyton Manning, our team relies soley on me.....WTF was the punt? 12 seconds in? What? It's supposed to be all about ME and God!!!"

Yeah.... Seahawks.

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Postby Everlong » Jul 06, '14, 8:47 am

CavingSiberian wrote:"Oh look, I'm Peyton Manning, our team relies soley on me

While Peyton Manning is the biggest reason for the Broncos' success the last couple years, I think you're severely underrating his supporting cast.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Jul 06, '14, 9:13 am

CavingSiberian wrote:It's a team sport.... not a "Oh look, I'm Peyton Manning, our team relies soley on me.....WTF was the punt? 12 seconds in? What? It's supposed to be all about ME and God!!!"

Yeah.... Seahawks.

It's a team salary cap sport. And the fact of the salary cap is a team that relies on one star and a really good supporting cast that is outshone by that one guy and goes under the radar around him will be easier to maintain under the salary cap than a team with no star and 8 really good players that all will expect to get paid top dollar for their position when their current contract runs out.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby CavingSiberian » Jul 06, '14, 9:37 am

Salary cap scchmalary cap. Seahawks.

Yes, I am stubborn. Aside from the salary cap I think some of the players have a bit of loyalty to the team and each other. Of course money will always win in the end but I'd like to (naive as it may be) think that being part of a winning team and shares in the glory is better than being part of a team where you are a star but can't get the team pulled through because you are dragging everyone else.

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 06, '14, 10:07 am

CavingSiberian wrote: I'd like to (naive as it may be) think that being part of a winning team and shares in the glory is better than being part of a team where you are a star but can't get the team pulled through because you are dragging everyone else.

There's no way all those players would take less money in a dangerous sport like the NFL where they risk their lives and could have their careers easily ended. They would have no money to fall back on.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby The Legend » Jul 06, '14, 12:37 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:Salary cap scchmalary cap. Seahawks.

Yes, I am stubborn. Aside from the salary cap I think some of the players have a bit of loyalty to the team and each other. Of course money will always win in the end but I'd like to (naive as it may be) think that being part of a winning team and shares in the glory is better than being part of a team where you are a star but can't get the team pulled through because you are dragging everyone else.

You get to think that for another couple of years before a bunch of key pieces big contract turn comes up. Then you'll see how it will work out.

World Champion
World Champion

Next

Return to NFL