It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 8:19 am

August 16 Football Thread: Season is Back!

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

August 16 Football Thread: Season is Back!

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 05, '16, 3:09 am

Championship season gets underway tomorrow and Community Shield on Sunday so the football season is back!

Intrigued by tomorrow's games, mainly for Newcastle's progress under Benitez now he has had a full summer to work with his team and it seems Ashley has ceded control to him. Former United defender Jaap Stam at Reading also.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: August 16 Football Thread: Season is Back!

Postby PorkChop » Aug 06, '16, 6:18 am

Get in Fulham :lol :tim

I never thought I'd say it after such a horrendous season last year but I've missed football. I'd take the play offs this year but all I really want is to see a Villa team who actually try to win a game.

My grandparents who have been Man United fans for most of their lives (they started supporting them after the plane crash in the 50's) went to Manchester for the first time a couple of weeks ago. They hated it. They said it was far too multicultural and they were concerned about terrorist attacks (lmao) and now they don't want to support Man United anymore. I've been laughing about it for weeks.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Aug 06, '16, 6:55 am

PorkChop wrote:Get in Fulham :lol :tim

I never thought I'd say it after such a horrendous season last year but I've missed football. I'd take the play offs this year but all I really want is to see a Villa team who actually try to win a game.

My grandparents who have been Man United fans for most of their lives (they started supporting them after the plane crash in the 50's) went to Manchester for the first time a couple of weeks ago. They hated it. They said it was far too multicultural and they were concerned about terrorist attacks (lmao) and now they don't want to support Man United anymore. I've been laughing about it for weeks.

That is fantastic. Also a little bit sad. Mostly hilarious.

Will not enjoy listening to games like a god damn savage again this year. I cannot believe how poor the coverage is for the second tier of English football in 2016.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Daz » Aug 06, '16, 8:26 am

On the bright side, Norwich are 3-0 up after 25 minutes.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Aug 06, '16, 10:57 am

Great start for Norwich, even if Blackburn are shit. Could be a long season for them.

Can't wait for Villa to kick off tomorrow (famous last words)

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Aug 06, '16, 11:37 am

Just don't win by more than 3. I like the way the table looks at the minute. Hopefully it'll still look pretty similar in 45 games.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Aug 07, '16, 11:33 am

Hello darkness my old friend...

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Aug 08, '16, 2:19 am

PorkChop wrote:Hello darkness my old friend...

Only the first game sir...

It could get a lot worse.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 08, '16, 6:04 am

Surprised there isn't a market on when Rooney will be dropped by Mourinho. Another lethargic display yesterday.

Lingard's ability and his role means Mkhitaryan is on the bench but surely, he comes in behind Ibrahimovic sooner rather than later.

In other news, BT Sport have got a 'Soccer Saturday' rip off starting this weekend to which Jeff Stelling out-right destroyed it last weekend..

Gary Neville is back on Sky and Rachel Riley, of Countdown fame, is joining Stelling for the Friday night games.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 08, '16, 9:45 am

Champions: Manchester United
Top four (in any order): Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal
Relegated (in any order) Hull, Burnley, Watford
Surprise package: Sunderland

Top Scorer: Sergio Aguero
Best signing of the season: Paul Pogba
Flop of the season: Llorente
First manager to be sacked: Mike Phelan (once he's appointed full time boss at Hull)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Aug 10, '16, 3:52 pm

Villa are the worst team in English football to support right now, 100% confirmed.

I'll always support he club but they make it bloody difficult sometimes. Times like these make me long for the days of midtable mediocrity with Darius Vassell up front, things are that bad.

Also I'd like to note that I am actually a better football player than Alan Hutton.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 14, '16, 3:22 pm

First three points of the season and a solid performance IMO. A slow start as Bournemouth began brightly but once we got comfortable, we played better. Ibrahimovic took his goal brilliantly and it shows why he is a much clinical option in the 10 role than Rooney who missed one chance he should have buried and as per usual, had some poor first touches. Once Pogba is back and Mourinho has a fit squad in terms of their individual fitness, then Rooney's position should be in jeopardy yet Mkhitaryan is on the bench and not too sure why..

Arsenal-Liverpool - man, what a game! Arsenal rescued Wenger from an even vociferous boofest with those two goals but Liverpool hit a hot streak in the second half but hung on yet Arsenal didn't pummel the goal without the strength of Giroud.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Aug 15, '16, 12:15 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Arsenal-Liverpool - man, what a game! Arsenal rescued Wenger from an even vociferous boofest with those two goals but Liverpool hit a hot streak in the second half but hung on yet Arsenal didn't pummel the goal without the strength of Giroud.

Really? I didn't think those boos could have been more loud if they tried! Hugely disappointing though. I'm hoping the reason for the loss was our inexperience center backs. Hopefully that changes as the season goes on. I still don't know what Koscielny wasn't playing. How long ago were the Euros?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby PorkChop » Aug 15, '16, 2:59 pm

Dalian Atkinson has died after being tasered by police. A witness said he was just drunk and non-threatening. Awful.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby PorkChop » Aug 18, '16, 3:51 pm

@SlightlyJames Joleon Lescott is moving to Rangers. Brace yourself for pain and misery.

He's the worst defender I've seen in a Villa shirt in my lifetime, and probably in Villa's entire Premier League era (I'm not kidding). He was one of the main contributors to the poisonous atmosphere at Villa last season and his performances were just insulting. He can't mark a man to save his life (especially in the Premier League), can't run anymore and his positioning his non existent. He just lets attackers stroll past him and when they score he blames his teammates for what was clearly his mistake. On top of that, he actively sought to sour his relationship with the fans by posting pictures of £100k mercedes after 6-0 defeats. His attitude is even worse than his performances.

Villa will be paying a part of his wages for the next year despite selling him, as confirmed by the chairman. That speaks volumes about how the club feel about him - everyone just wants him gone, and the club will basically pay Rangers to take him. I'd be very surprised if he ever comes good for Rangers, because last season he looked like a 45 year old man who had never played football before. He was dreadful.

Plus, he also has the worst hairline in world football. He makes Gervinho look normal. You'll have to see his disgusting head every Saturday for the next two years.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 18, '16, 5:50 pm

PorkChop wrote:@SlightlyJames Joleon Lescott is moving to Rangers. Brace yourself for pain and misery.

He's the worst defender I've seen in a Villa shirt in my lifetime, and probably in Villa's entire Premier League era (I'm not kidding). He was one of the main contributors to the poisonous atmosphere at Villa last season and his performances were just insulting. He can't mark a man to save his life (especially in the Premier League), can't run anymore and his positioning his non existent. He just lets attackers stroll past him and when they score he blames his teammates for what was clearly his mistake. On top of that, he actively sought to sour his relationship with the fans by posting pictures of £100k mercedes after 6-0 defeats. His attitude is even worse than his performances.

Villa will be paying a part of his wages for the next year despite selling him, as confirmed by the chairman. That speaks volumes about how the club feel about him - everyone just wants him gone, and the club will basically pay Rangers to take him. I'd be very surprised if he ever comes good for Rangers, because last season he looked like a 45 year old man who had never played football before. He was dreadful.

Plus, he also has the worst hairline in world football. He makes Gervinho look normal. You'll have to see his disgusting head every Saturday for the next two years.

Aye I'd figured you'd have something to say about that. Can't say I'm thrilled about it but I suppose that's just how the market is right now for a club like ours. You never know, he could do alright in a far less demanding league. Plus there's always a chance he fails the medical :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Aug 19, '16, 5:13 am

He's just turned down Rangers, fuck sake. We can't even pay to get rid of him.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 19, '16, 8:35 am

PorkChop wrote:He's just turned down Rangers, fuck sake. We can't even pay to get rid of him.

BBC saying he failed the medical :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 19, '16, 9:23 am

Ha, reminds me of the last episode of the Office (UK) series one and when Brent had a 'high blood pressure'....

But how's Barton doing? Backing up his trash talking with performances?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 19, '16, 10:00 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Ha, reminds me of the last episode of the Office (UK) series one and when Brent had a 'high blood pressure'....

But how's Barton doing? Backing up his trash talking with performances?

He's been pretty solid. It's early days and he'll probably need some time to bed in properly but he knows what's up and fills a role we've needed for some time. I'm happy he's here.

In more successful news, Joe Garner got signed on a 3 year contract today from Preston. Supposedly had a good season and we've been needing an extra striker for some competition down the middle.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Next

Return to Soccer/Football