It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 7:13 am

Euro 2016 thread

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Euro 2016 thread

Postby PorkChop » Jun 30, '16, 5:51 am

^ I wish I could argue against England being the most overrated side there is, but unfortunately it's the bitter truth. There's a huge disparity between how we about our chances at major tournaments and how the team has performed historically. For a long time now England have been a mid-tier international team and nothing more. Our most successful run in recent memory was the quarter finals of the 2006 world cup, but since then we've been abysmal in major tournaments. We finished bottom of the group stage in the last world cup with one point, which came from a 0-0 draw against Costa Rica. We didn't even qualify for Euro 2008 and we've just been knocked out of Euro 2016 by a team managed by a part-time dentist.

No doubt in Russia 2018 though, football will be coming home again according to the papers.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby Enygma » Jun 30, '16, 11:32 am

Best reaction to the England vs Iceland match I've seen on the internet.

Credit to Romo for the sig.

Arrive. Dare To Zlatan. Leave.
Enygma Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 27

Postby prophet » Jun 30, '16, 3:11 pm

Gareth Southgate being appointed England manager would be the most uninspiring appointment since...well since Roy Hodgson. Basically we're fucked.

Since the last time I logged into the website England have played their first and last game in the tournament. Utter shite. Owl face boring twat Hodgson got it all wrong tactically and yet again proved himself to be an incompetent mug.

Complete overhaul needed. Fuck all the big earning fancy fucking entitled Premier League tosspots off, bin the lot of them, they don't deserve to wear the shirt and represent our country. I'd much rather be a shitter team in general but have Everyman players that play with pride and passion. I'd much rather have Noble, Drinkwater, Vardy etc playing for the shirt rather than cunts like Sturridge and Sterling who don't give a monkeys.

Bin Rooney as well. How many major tournament failures does he need to be apart of until somebody tells him he's useless and needs to bugger off.

And what's all this shit I'm seeing that the next England manager needs to be English? Like fuck he does the last one was English and he was a walking sack of shit. News flash: England are shit at winning. Why the fuck wouldn't you want a successful foreign manager at the helm? I'd throw the bank at Rafa to be honest but that's just me.

Sorry for the rant chaps, it's been a while.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 01, '16, 4:58 pm

Wales have put England's abysmal team into the dark, black and gloomy shade.

Terrific performance after Belgium started the game so energetically. Best game of the Euros for me. Now it's Ronaldo v Bale on Wednesday!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 10, '16, 5:18 pm

Portugal 1-0 France.

Besides their mauling of Iceland when the hosts played with attacking impetus and drive, France always seemed to get going if they fell behind or really needed to push the game. Today, they knew what to expect and fell into Portugal's gameplan too easily. They just let it drag on without pushing it besides the best efforts of Sissoko to drag his team mates into a lead. Ronaldo's injury, no matter your personal thoughts on him, was sad to see and he'd have feared his team's chances but again, France were poor. Portugal in the end would have been cruel on them had they lost on penalties to Eder's strike was fully deserved. A great team effort and Ronaldo deserves it considering the strain he's had to carry his teammates forward in other tournaments and this one (with his goals than his all-round contribution) is the icing on the cake.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Previous

Return to Soccer/Football