It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 7:42 am

March 2016 Football Thread: February is an illusion

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: March 2016 Football Thread: February is an illusion

Postby prophet » Mar 26, '16, 7:27 pm

Probably the best England game I've watched in a decade. Lovely Cruyff turn from Kane and an absolutely beautiful finish from King Vardy - if Messi had scored that he'd have won the bloody Puskas goal of the year award.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Daz » Mar 27, '16, 2:01 am

Looked a thousand times better without Rooney in the squad. Much sharper and more incisive once Welbeck went off as well. Vardy and Kane upfront, with the form they're both in are a much more potent attack that will give defences something to think about in the Euros.

Dare we be optimistic?

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 27, '16, 5:23 pm

Nope. Because Hodgson will bring back Rooney and the positivity will disappear. IDK why Smalling-Stones isn't given a try instead of Cahill who was poor from what I read. Never thought we'd be thanking an Argentine for his development of English players excelling for country.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Mar 28, '16, 3:32 am

Welbeck and Rooney are shite, they should be no where near the starting line up.

I reckon we'll get to the quarters and then crash out, as per.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Mar 31, '16, 2:55 pm

Stones is a good ball playing defender but after the Holland game I'm not so sure he's ready to start, at least not alongside Smalling. The two of them together are an inexperienced partnership and that makes me nervous; Cahill is at least going to be a cooler head.

Kane
Lallana - Barkley - Welbeck
Alli - Dier
Shaw - Cahill - Smalling - Clyne
Hart

That'd be my line-up vs Russia as things stand. Say what you will about Welbeck but he's a good hand for England and is the type of conservative player we need on the wing as opposed to some fancy gobshite like Sterling (who I wouldn't even take to the Euro's)

Lallana is another one that people are dubious about but he's decent on the ball, capable of genius and has been playing a lot better for Liverpool. I'd drop Alli a bit deeper because he's talented enough to play deeper and that would allow Barkley to get involved. Included Luke Shaw because I read he's back in first team training as of this week and so might be able to get his fitness up by the Summer.

That's a largely young and fearless team with a few wiser heads scattered in amongst. Vardy would be the go-to supersub because he's energetic and rapid and would be wonderful and causing problems/stretching the game where needed.

But this is England and this is Roy Hodgson so we'll most likely start Milner, Rooney and Sterling and be largely a crock of shite.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Apr 01, '16, 3:00 am

This week in Villa news:

- Remi Garde walks away with a 10% win ratio

- Mick McCarthy linked to the job, Dwight Yorke and Ruud Gullit also announce their interest

- Leandro Bacuna, one of the worst players in one of the worst teams in Premier League history, says he may have to leave Villa to get Champions League football. Links himself with Ajax, PSV

- Gabby Agbonlahor pictured at a club in Dubai, then smoking a shisha pipe. Gets suspended

- Micah Richards calls a fan a clown, tells fans to cut the players some slack after a 'long, hard season'

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Apr 01, '16, 3:05 am

PorkChop wrote:This week in Villa news:

- Remi Garde walks away with a 10% win ratio

- Mick McCarthy linked to the job, Dwight Yorke and Ruud Gullit also announce their interest

- Leandro Bacuna, one of the worst players in one of the worst teams in Premier League history, says he may have to leave Villa to get Champions League football. Links himself with Ajax, PSV

- Gabby Agbonlahor pictured at a club in Dubai, then smoking a shisha pipe. Gets suspended

- Micah Richards calls a fan a clown, tells fans to cut the players some slack after a 'long, hard season'

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

I feel for you sir.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Previous

Return to Soccer/Football