It is currently: May 04, '24, 10:50 pm

January 2016 Football Thread: Manchester United score more than one goal

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

January 2016 Football Thread: Manchester United score more than one goal

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 02, '16, 4:57 pm

It seems LVG was more pleased with a first half performance that was the same dull and boring stuff.. But Martial/Rooney had better games but still a poor position to be in considering how open the league is..

City should be getting more stick for not being ahead by 3 pts at the top - players seem to know Pellegrini's off at the end of the year so seem to be really lethargic at times.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: January 2016 Football Thread: Manchester United score more than one goal

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 03, '16, 11:05 am

Having seen Villa's atrocious effort for Sunderland's third goal, @PorkChop's words came to mind...

Interestingly, Matt Law of the Telegraph (Villa fan) was on the Sunday Supplement this morning talking about Lerner's endless mistakes including rejecting Graham Taylor's help when he took over; sacking a long-time secretary at the club who could have helped him; putting people in charge in positions who hadn't had the sufficient experience in those roles previously (Faulkner/Fox as chief executives, statsmen becoming scouts) so maybe a relegation might wake him the fuck up and start to make better decisions.

EDIT: At least someone's happy..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Jan 04, '16, 4:32 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Having seen Villa's atrocious effort for Sunderland's third goal, @PorkChop's words came to mind...

Interestingly, Matt Law of the Telegraph (Villa fan) was on the Sunday Supplement this morning talking about Lerner's endless mistakes including rejecting Graham Taylor's help when he took over; sacking a long-time secretary at the club who could have helped him; putting people in charge in positions who hadn't had the sufficient experience in those roles previously (Faulkner/Fox as chief executives, statsmen becoming scouts) so maybe a relegation might wake him the fuck up and start to make better decisions.

EDIT: At least someone's happy..

Well he sounds like a massive cunt.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Jan 05, '16, 4:47 am

I think it's reasonable to say that Villa are one of the worst run clubs in the country at the moment.

Randy Lerner has no idea what he's doing. I can't even list all of the ridiculous decisions he's made over the last 5 years. In February 2009 we were in 3rd place, 10 points clear of Arsenal who were a place below. Now in January 2016, we're bottom of the league with 8 points after 20 games, and look like beating Derby's record of the lowest number of points in a Premier League season.

It's atrocious what's happened to the club over the last few years. Lerner and his henchmen have brought the club to its knees.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 05, '16, 1:26 pm

After talking about it in last month's thread, as a bit of an update it looks like a lot of places are saying Rangers have agreed a pre-contract with Josh Windass! After what @prophet and others have said about him I'm quite excited about this signing.

We've also signed Doncaster winger Harry Forrester and free agent goalkeeper Maciej Gostomski until the end of the season. Neither of them really seem like necessary signings, I wouldn't expect them to be sticking around unless they really impress. Forrester is primarily a left winger and considering Barrie McKay hasn't missed a league game yet this season I doubt he'll get much game time.

Gostomski coming in is even weirder, Wes Foderingham has been doing an alright job, we already have Cammy Bell on the way back and Liam Kelly and Robbie McCrorie are both promising academy keepers, we really don't need any more. If I'm guessing this means Bell is on the way out and Kelly will be going on loan, with Gostomski being short term cover.

I'm hearing some of our fans talk about bringing in some standouts from this season like Will Vaulks and Jason Cummings, as much as Cummings in particular would be fantastic for us I really can't see that happening. It's just not realistic I don't think.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby prophet » Jan 06, '16, 2:49 pm

Windass is a good signing for you, especially on a free. I don't know how much he'll play though initially.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 07, '16, 9:18 am

That's Windass and Crooks both signed, 4 year deals beginning in the summer. I'm quite happy with that! Also, Gedion Zelalem is going to be sticking around for the rest of the season rather than returning to Arsenal in January. He's been alright, shows a lot of promise but desperate for experience, he'll get that with us.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 09, '16, 4:54 pm

United eek past Sheffield United 1-0 to reach the next stage of the FA Cup but their first shot on target in 70th minute results in ironic cheers in what was another hapless, uninspiring, home performance.

The player who should have played created the goal. Depay made something happen when he came on and a game like this might have been ideal for him. Credit to Borthwick-Jackson and Smalling as usual for their performances today.

Paul Scholes has ripped into LVG and the football played, pipebomb.

So it looks like the first half v Chelsea and the second v Swansea was a false dawn, can imagine LVG gritted his teeth through those performances. Will be happy tonight though.

Villa draw 1-1 and a fan of theirs drops more F and C bombs than I do in a month!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jan 12, '16, 4:12 pm

So this is what it's like to win a game of football...

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Jan 12, '16, 6:22 pm

PorkChop wrote:So this is what it's like to win a game of football...

Should celebrate it like you've just watched them win a cup final at Wembley. Might be the last chance you get for a while.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 13, '16, 8:27 am

Yesterday's game will force LVG to go backwards and play like we did against Sheffield United as he'll say "my point is proved, we're too loose at the back" etc. Rooney was good tonight, his second goal well taken and hopefully this is the start of a goalscoring run. Tottenham winning, potentially, tomorrow makes the Liverpool game must win so dropping the two points not ideal.

Lingard took his goal well but is a squad player for me, but he's missed good chances before and his only use will be to play in behind and create space for others. Fellaini messing up the one thing he's in the team for sums up the general mood around him, was fortunate not to be sent off.

Swansea sell Shelvey for £12m to Newcastle - excellent business for the former.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jan 16, '16, 1:48 pm

Good point for Villa. We were denied a clear penalty but then Gestede handled the ball before his goal, so it evened itself out in the end.

It's still thoroughly depressing watching a bunch of players who don't really give a shit about the club though. No doubt most of them have made frantic calls to their agents looking for moves away this month.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Viazon » Jan 17, '16, 10:34 am

Screw you Rooney. Henry still has a better goal to games ratio.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby PorkChop » Jan 17, '16, 11:22 am

Viazon wrote:Screw you Rooney. Henry still has a better goal to games ratio.

It's frightening to think that in the future, kids who weren't around to watch Henry and Rooney and have just seen their highlight reels may actually consider Rooney the better player.

Henry was one of the greatest players to ever grace the Premier League. In my lifetime I don't think I'll ever see a player quite like Henry again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another few like Wayne Rooney.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 17, '16, 12:13 pm

He's hitting some form at the right time but his general play is still not up to scratch for me. Woeful game to be honest, first half reminiscent of the Old Trafford game where it was pretty dull. Took his goal well and a smash and grab!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jan 20, '16, 12:04 pm

We beat Wycombe lads. GET HYPE

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 23, '16, 12:35 pm

Woodward has to swallow something, and it has to be his pride as Tottenham winning compounded the day's woes, and he's just waiting (or desperately hoping) that the Liverpool win was the start of 'change' but under LVG, that's impossible. The players seem to be trying in terms of following his philosophy so they don't seem to have stopped playing for him like they did Moyes but they're just lifeless on the pitch. The boos at the end might make LVG realise the majority of fans aren't happy but he'll still say those odd few fans in the suburbs he lives are telling him all nice things..

Southampton didn't have to do anything outstanding, amazed other teams haven't seen this and tried to be more adventurous in the other 7/8 0-0's at OT.

Also, Norwich - Liverpool - ridiculous defending! But goals galore. Naismith took his goal well but surprised Everton let him go but the money was good.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Jan 23, '16, 3:52 pm

Russell Martin thinking he's a centre back is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Daz » Jan 23, '16, 4:33 pm

How in God's name did we go from 3-1 up to losing 5-3? fucking Norwich. Fuck Fuck Fuck fuck Fuckety cunt fuck.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 25, '16, 11:11 pm

I have to say I'm ashamed, as a lifelong Rangers supporter, the entire club has been been besmirched by the actions of Andy Halliday. How one man could have the gall to act so heinously I will never be able to comprehend. His actions were reckless, disrespectful and downright dangerous. I offer my sincere apologies to the footballing world and hope beyond hope that none of our players have the cheek to celebrate a goal ever again.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Next

Return to Soccer/Football