It is currently: May 17, '24, 8:02 am

Worst signings your club has made?

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Worst signings your club has made?

Postby PorkChop » Nov 24, '15, 8:13 am

I"m not sure where to begin, there"s been so many. Off the top of my head:

Alexander Tonev: By far the worst player I've seen in a Villa shirt in recent years, and that"s saying something. I've never seen someone consistently kick the ball into Row Z so frequently, it was quite comical. He then got loaned to Celtic, got banned for racism, and was promptly released.

Bosko Balaban: £6 million pounds, played 8 games, never scored and was sold on a free.

Emile Heskey: Averaged a goal every 10 games, on 70k per week. He was absolutely abysmal. Like Tonev, it was almost comical at times.

Charles N'Zogbia: Probably the laziest player I've ever seen, with a stinking attitude as well. He cost 9.5 million about 5 years ago and he's probably played 3 good games. All he's done lately is argue with fans on Twitter while collecting his 65k per week wages. The frustrating thing is that he could actually be good if he wanted, but he just doesn't care.

Alex McLeish: The worst managerial appointment that could've possibly been made. He'd just got the club's biggest rivals relegated while playing absolutely dire football and he walked into the club as the top-priority target. Apparently Randy Lerner was shocked at the backlash when he was appointed. I still can't get my head around this one.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Worst signings your club has made?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 24, '15, 8:49 am

Damn, that takes me back, Bosko Balaban..

Fergie brought some duffers: Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Taibi, Bebe (spunked £7m just as a favour to Mendes), Obertan. Sure there'll be more.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby Viazon » Nov 24, '15, 12:56 pm

Francis Jeffers. Sebastian Squillaci. Only ones that came straight to mind.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Daz » Nov 24, '15, 2:09 pm

The mid to late 90's were just a shit show of signings for Norwich. Peter Grant wasn't a great player when we signed him back then and he was even worse as a manager.

Some other names that spring to mind are; Victor Segura, Erik Fuglestad,Cédric Anselin, Fernando Derveld, Raymond de Waard and Alex Notman.

Notman went out a hero though. Got injured during a game with Ipswich and had to retire. Pretty sure he got hurt charging down a Freekick which pretty much summed up his entire career.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Return to Soccer/Football