It is currently: May 20, '24, 7:19 pm

Germany vs Netherlands game cancelled, explosives found by stadium

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Germany vs Netherlands game cancelled, explosives found by stadium

Postby PorkChop » Nov 17, '15, 1:57 pm

Reported by Sky Sports News.

A vehicle full of explosives was apparently found by the stadium. Fans were told to go home immediately and the game has been called off. Metro services have been shut.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Germany vs Netherlands game cancelled, explosives found by stadium

Postby Viazon » Nov 17, '15, 2:07 pm

Serious question here. I know they are all concerned for peoples well being and calling the game off was probably the right thing to do. But if stuff like this keep happenings, like cancelling sports event or any other kind of event because of fear for what might happen, does that mean the terrorists have won? Honestly, how can anyone enjoy life now, knowing no matter where they go, they are at risk of losing their life?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 17, '15, 2:23 pm

It's worrying to think how easily that vehicle got there in the first place.

I wasn't a fan of tonight's England game going ahead tonight, primarily as the players weren't consulted on the decision as they had been through Friday's events, they were best positioned to decide - mentally and physically - if they wanted to play. It seems that decision was made above them and then they agreed but it was a good moment before the game, nicely done by the FA so I guess mission accomplished but more concerned about the players' wellbeing.

Also to add Belgium/Spain was cancelled.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SortaCreative » Nov 17, '15, 2:49 pm

Viazon wrote:Serious question here. I know they are all concerned for peoples well being and calling the game off was probably the right thing to do. But if stuff like this keep happenings, like cancelling sports event or any other kind of event because of fear for what might happen, does that mean the terrorists have won? Honestly, how can anyone enjoy life now, knowing no matter where they go, they are at risk of losing their life?

True, but the alternative is potentially thousands of people being injured or killed.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Viazon » Nov 17, '15, 2:58 pm

SortaCreative wrote:
Viazon wrote:Serious question here. I know they are all concerned for peoples well being and calling the game off was probably the right thing to do. But if stuff like this keep happenings, like cancelling sports event or any other kind of event because of fear for what might happen, does that mean the terrorists have won? Honestly, how can anyone enjoy life now, knowing no matter where they go, they are at risk of losing their life?

True, but the alternative is potentially thousands of people being injured or killed.

This is exactly my point. If people can't get on with their lives for fear of themselves and thousands of other people getting killed, then the terrorists have won.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 17, '15, 3:03 pm

Viazon wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:

This is exactly my point. If people can't get on with their lives for fear of themselves and thousands of other people getting killed, then the terrorists have won.

If every event was being cancelled on the basis of spurious intelligence, then you'd have a point. However, when there is an imminent and present threat available at a venue, then considerations for the terrorists winning is frankly, ignored to save the lives of thousands.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby War Daddy » Nov 17, '15, 7:22 pm

We need to bomb the shit out of ISIS, until they become WASWAS.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 17, '15, 11:21 pm

War Daddy wrote:We need to bomb the shit out of ISIS, until they become WASWAS.

Russia's going to town on them.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to Soccer/Football