It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 6:29 am

The 15/16 PL Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

The 15/16 PL Summer Transfer Thread

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 22, '15, 4:09 pm

With the season ending, thought it'd be a good time as any to kick off the transfer stories for the summer.

Transfer to definitely happen: De Gea to Real Madrid

Transfer that won't happen: Sterling to Arsenal (think City will do everything they can to get him)

Transfer that could happen: Benteke to Arsenal

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: The 15/16 PL Summer Transfer Thread

Postby SlightlyJames » May 22, '15, 4:41 pm

I'd heard Benteke mostly linked with Liverpool actually. Unless the situation has developed since I've been paying attention.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 22, '15, 4:56 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:I'd heard Benteke mostly linked with Liverpool actually. Unless the situation has developed since I've been paying attention.

Yeah he has been but going bit left field with my prediction. Be surprised if he left a club not in the CL but Liverpool might make a massive offer to make sure they get him.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » May 22, '15, 5:12 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:I'd heard Benteke mostly linked with Liverpool actually. Unless the situation has developed since I've been paying attention.

Yeah he has been but going bit left field with my prediction. Be surprised if he left a club not in the CL but Liverpool might make a massive offer to make sure they get him.

They're not in the CL now but I'd say Benteke can put them there.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » May 23, '15, 4:17 am

I've mostly seen Benteke linked with Liverpool, but I think he can do better than them. Plus, I don't think Rodgers would get the best out of him. There's a 32 million pound release clause in his contract and Sherwood has indicated someone would have to activate that otherwise he won't be doing business with them. Whether this is true remains to be seen.

It'll hurt to see Benteke go, but he deserves to move away if it's what he wants to do. Nothing but respect for him and the performances he's put in for Villa over the past few years, and I'll be cheering him upon his return to Villa Park should he turn out for another team next season.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » May 24, '15, 10:47 am

The ideal transfer for Liverpool would probably be Jovetic, terrific striker with a point to prove after City destroyed his confidence as they so often do. Benteke is more than deserving of a move away from Villa but you'd think he'd rather play for a team in Europe. I think Van Persie could go, too.

I fancy Chelsea to sign Hummels in the Summer, they could probably do with a new centre-half and with Dortmund out of the Champions League it'll be easier than ever to convince him. I also think Vidal will be England bound.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » May 27, '15, 2:31 am

I'm starting to see more and more about Liverpool going for Benteke. Fair enough, but I'm surprised that it's been met with such widespread criticism from Liverpool fans.

Benteke has scored something like 42 in 88 for Villa, which is incredible when considering he was managed by Paul Lambert for a vast majority of this. It's especially impressive when you consider that he plays for a very goal-shy team who don't provide him with particularly good service. Even through his dips in form he still holds a 1-in-2 record for the team. Since he joined in 2012 he's only been outscored in the league by RVP, Aguero and Rooney - and during this time he missed 6 months of playing time with an Achilles injury. Benteke's record is incredible, no two ways about it.

I've seen people compare him to Balotelli. Why? I can't see how they're anything alike. Benteke is stronger and faster than Balotelli, more powerful in the air than Balotelli (more aerial duels won than any other player this year), scores more goals than Balotelli, covers more ground than Balotelli (the only Liverpool player who has covered less ground than Balotelli is Mignolet), can score from outside the area, and isn't a twat like Balotelli. Benteke is the kind of player Balotelli wishes he could be. So why are they being compared like they're on the same level? I'd say Benteke was more of a Drogba-type player if we're comparing him to anyone.

I do feel like he's better suited elsewhere than Liverpool though. I don't think Rodgers is the man-manager Benteke needs to flourish, and the team don't play to Benteke's strengths - as I said above, Benteke has won more headers than any other player this season but Liverpool never seem to cross the ball. I saw a stat that the only team to cross the ball fewer times than Liverpool this year was Swansea. That'll need to change if they want the best out of Benteke.

I just hope we don't get Adebayor as a replacement.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » May 27, '15, 4:07 am

Random, but I'd like to see Benteke at Tottenham. A front line with him and Kane would be formidable.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Daz » May 27, '15, 11:41 am

Norwich signed Dorrans permanently. Not a bad move. Solid player, will probably be above Hoolahan in the pecking order in the Premiership. Will still need to get someone with some passing ability because we lacked that link up in the final third last season.

Also looks like we're getting Ricky van Wolfswinkel back. He's a good player who had his confidence absolutely destroyed by a bad season under Hughton. He'll fit well in the system Alex Neil likes to play as Ricky has great movement. Redmond is hitting his stride and improving his final ball, which has been crucial for us this year. If he can continue that next season, and make a nuisance of himself in and around the area, Ricky will get goals.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 03, '15, 1:31 pm

Milner edging closer to Liverpool move but City are going to be struggling for English players.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go all out for Sterling/Wilshere.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jun 03, '15, 3:31 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Milner edging closer to Liverpool move but City are going to be struggling for English players.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go all out for Sterling/Wilshere.

I've read that they're interested in Grealish, but I can't see it. If it's true though, City would 100% ruin his career. Look at Scott Sinclair and Jack Rodwell.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 11, '15, 2:43 pm

Man City have offered £25m plus £5m add ons for Sterling. Liverpool need to give a percentage to QPR but they need to get this sorted quickly. This dragging on will envelope their pre-season very quickly. Similiar to De Gea, get it sorted and move on.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 11, '15, 2:53 pm

Sterling is gonna cost more than De Gea? :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Jun 17, '15, 2:05 pm

Micah Richards has gone to Villa on a free, what a signing that is @PorkChop. Here's hoping they get a few more decent players in and push on.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Jun 17, '15, 2:10 pm

Richards is a great signing if he stays fit. I'm hoping he's used at centre back rather than right back.

I'm still worried about Sherwood though. Apparently he wants to sign Jamie Vardy... ugh.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SKS » Jun 17, '15, 5:29 pm

I hope Micah stays healthy for Villa, I like him. Hasn't played much in a City uniform lately, so I think they'll be fine without. Sad to see Milner go though. I will miss him.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby PorkChop » Jun 18, '15, 8:13 am

SKS wrote:I hope Micah stays healthy for Villa, I like him. Hasn't played much in a City uniform lately, so I think they'll be fine without. Sad to see Milner go though. I will miss him.

Milner is probably one of the most underrated players in the league tbh.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SKS » Jun 18, '15, 9:27 am

PorkChop wrote:
SKS wrote:I hope Micah stays healthy for Villa, I like him. Hasn't played much in a City uniform lately, so I think they'll be fine without. Sad to see Milner go though. I will miss him.

Definitely, would have been a sure starter on any other squad. I think he'll really help Liverpool.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby PorkChop » Jun 18, '15, 10:29 am

SKS wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

Definitely, would have been a sure starter on any other squad. I think he'll really help Liverpool.

He was incredible at Villa, shame City never used him right.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby prophet » Jun 21, '15, 3:25 pm

Papers reporting that City are going to make a final 'final offer' of 50 million for Sterling.

If this is true then Rodgers is once again a certified gangster.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Next

Return to Soccer/Football