It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 1:48 am

The 15/16 PL Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: The 15/16 PL Summer Transfer Thread

Postby Enygma » Jul 10, '15, 5:55 pm

Man City have all the money in the world and they sign Fabian Delph and Raheem fucking Sterling.

Credit to Romo for the sig.

Arrive. Dare To Zlatan. Leave.
Enygma Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 27

Postby PorkChop » Jul 11, '15, 9:07 am

DELPH IS STAYING

I AM SORRY I EVER DOUBTED YOU FABIAN

<3

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Jul 11, '15, 9:35 am

How refreshing is it to see loyalty in today's game? Good for Delph, why rot on the City bench and sacrifice your fledgling England career for a bigger paycheck when you can play every week and continue to make a name for yourself, good decision.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 11, '15, 10:50 am

SlightlyJames wrote:Hearing Schweinsteiger to Man United is a done deal. Folk are saying bild, the site that reported it, are usually bang on and they've got this on their front page. Short term fix considering his age but holy shit if this is real.

Still thought he'd stay at Bayern but exciting stuff - he's a player to go straight into the team and his wealth of experience - potentially with a not so experienced defence - could be massive. If we can get Schneiderlin and a midfield three of Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Herrera is exciting.

Good on Delph - when you have Sterling's story getting massive airtime for allegedly, wanting to leave specifically, for more money then Delph's rejection of City deserves just as much coverage.

Also how is his first name pronounced. Fabian or Fay-bian? lol

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Jul 11, '15, 10:59 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Also how is his first name pronounced. Fabian or Fay-bian? lol

I've heard both, I'm not really sure which way is correct. You'll have to ask him.

Remember when commentators went through a phase of calling Jagielka 'Yagielka'? Like, don't drop the J, he's not Spanish.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 11, '15, 11:03 am

PorkChop wrote:
AkydefGoldberg wrote:Also how is his first name pronounced. Fabian or Fay-bian? lol

I've heard both, I'm not really sure which way is correct. You'll have to ask him.

Remember when commentators went through a phase of calling Jagielka 'Yagielka'? Like, don't drop the J, he's not Spanish.

Sounds like Clive Tydlesley commentating there..

Nah just heard SSN pronounce it as Fay-bian and it's like sure it's Fabian.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby prophet » Jul 11, '15, 11:04 am

PorkChop wrote:

Fabian. I've met his mum, it is known.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Jul 11, '15, 4:38 pm

prophet wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

Fabian. I've met his mum, it is known.

I can beat that - my dad went on a date with Gabby Agbonlahor's auntie.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 11, '15, 4:54 pm

prophet wrote:Fabian. I've met his mum, it is known.

It is known.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby SKS » Jul 12, '15, 11:50 am

Sterling officially to City for 49M transfer, 200,000 a week. Absurd amount of cash, but I guess if we have the money...

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby prophet » Jul 12, '15, 1:58 pm

Good business for Liverpool getting rid of him early. It wasn't wise for them to drag this saga on all Summer and disrupt their pre-season preparations. 49 million is, as rightly pointed out, an absurd amount of money but at 20 years old he's got plenty of time to pay that fee back and then some. I do think he'll do well at City but Liverpool were absolutely right to sell, having a player like that around with such a bad attitude is poisonous.

The real issue is the bulk of that money is more than likely going to be spent on Benteke which, good as he is, seems like such an underwhelming re-investment. Perhaps I'm being harsh but I wouldn't spend 32 mill on him when you could likely get Lacazette for cheaper - seriously, why is nobody trying to sign Lacazette?! Sure he said he wants to play in the Champions League but I'm pretty confident a fat paycheck would see to that.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 12, '15, 2:03 pm

SKS wrote:Sterling officially to City for 49M transfer, 200,000 a week. Absurd amount of cash, but I guess if we have the money...

Just a shame you couldn't persuade Fabian Delph to join...

Liverpool got £44m plus £5m add ons and they have to pay QPR a percentage of that (10%-25% - not sure which one) so they'll have enough to get a striker but who is really available? Benteke is. Lazazette is likely to stay at Lyon. United, have sold RVP, are in the same boat and I just hope we don't piss away money on Cavani. Rooney's the number nine for this year, just need a decent striker as back up.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jul 12, '15, 2:57 pm

Benteke would be a great signing for Liverpool, but I'd clearly love him to stay at Villa - even though he deserves much better.

It would be interesting to see what Sherwood would do with 32 million as well. He's still untested in the transfer market and if he wasted it I would cry. On the other hand, he could bolster the team significantly in several positions and maybe, just maybe, we could go a year without battling relegation. I dream of the days of midtable mediocrity.

As for Sterling, I'll give him a good booing next season. I can't believe his behaviour this summer.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 12, '15, 4:18 pm

One thing LVG has done well is get rid of the shit United had. Been more decisive and this evening, Schweinsteiger and now Schneiderlin deals looks very close. Add to that Fellaini/Blind/Carrick/Herrera and the midfield looks more stronger now.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Romo » Jul 12, '15, 4:29 pm

This transfer window has been horrible, so many clubs losing iconic players, Xavi to Qatar, Gerrard and Pirlo to the MLS, Klopp leaving Dortmund, Schweinsteiger leaving Bayern and Casillas being forced to Porto.

If Terry and Totti leave their clubs i'm going to have a full on meltdown

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 13, '15, 1:24 pm

^I think both who you mentioned will stay at their clubs.

But all of those players at least had a farewell party - poor old Casillas has been treated awfully by Perez in which saw the former give a nine minute statement in the Madrid press room on his own besides the journalists who were there and Perez, realising he'd fucked up, organised a hastily arranged "farewell" in which fans chanted for him to resign. Karma.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby prophet » Jul 13, '15, 2:48 pm

Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin as your two sitting midfielders with Di Maria and Mata on either wing, Rooney up front in his natural position with Fellaini in behind. If United can sign a decent centre-back (and replace De Gea if he goes) they can challenge for the title this year without question.

Chelsea had the best squad last year and still do this season but have strengthened well replacing Drogba with Falcao and Cech with Begovic - they're still the team to beat though I do think they'll be looking for a top class centre back as well.

City have been quite underwhelming so far but I fully expect them to go ape-shit before the window closes. Sterling is the start of something big for them, expect them to look at breaking the bank for Pogba or someone like that.

Arsenal have made one massive improvement in signing Cech but until they sign a top forward they're in for another run of the mill season before the inevitable fourth placed finish, you all know it's true.

Liverpool have Danny Ings.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 16, '15, 1:39 pm

The Benteke to Liverpool talk is getting louder by the day, seems like a sure thing at this point. I remember saying he'd be a good signing for them months back, especially as it was one of their weakest positions last season, especially with Sturridge being seemingly injury prone.

The figure I've seen quoted was £32.5m, still leaves them with a cool £16.5m left over after getting rid of Sterling. Smart bit of business if they can wrap this up.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Jul 16, '15, 3:27 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:The Benteke to Liverpool talk is getting louder by the day, seems like a sure thing at this point. I remember saying he'd be a good signing for them months back, especially as it was one of their weakest positions last season, especially with Sturridge being seemingly injury prone.

The figure I've seen quoted was £32.5m, still leaves them with a cool £16.5m left over after getting rid of Sterling. Smart bit of business if they can wrap this up.

It barely leaves them with much less than that - QPR had a 20% sell-on clause, which I believe brought them £9.6 million from the deal. Liverpool will have about £6 million left from the deal if they buy Benteke.

Liverpool might still have more left in the bank but based on their reluctance to meet Benteke's release clause until the Sterling deal went through suggests Rodgers' treasure chest is getting low. He's made some decent signings this time around though.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 16, '15, 4:06 pm

Yeah, you're not wrong. Tbh even if they effectively straight up traded Sterling for Benteke they've done well out of the deal. Hugely overrated player who didn't respect the club vs one of the best strikers in the league.

In slightly less illustrious transfer news, Rangers have brought in an ex-Man Utd youth Jordan Thomson. From what I hear he's a player with a bit of flair who was thought of as being quite promising not too long ago, hopefully Warburton can get something out of him. He's a Rangers fan too which is always a bonus. :P

We're also just about to sign Andy Halliday, he's a player I've been an admirer of for a few years now and I'm pretty excited to see him come to Rangers. Think @prophet will probably be familiar with him as he was one of the goalscorers in that Bradford upset against Chelsea a few months back.

Seems the new gaffer is really looking to get the most out of our Youth setup. Having one formation and forward style of play across every level of our game from the under 8s to the first team, so the academy players will have no problems integrating into the team in the event of a call up as we'll be using the same system right across the board.

With all of the releases at the end of the last season it seemed like there would be a lot of transfer activity needing done and we've seen quite a bit of it as it is, particularly in defensive areas. Bringing in guys like Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan as well as the returning Luca Gasparotto, along with the addition of Davie Weir to the coaching staff makes me think we will be a lot more solid at the back this season.

Further up the park it seems that Warburton will be trying to give a face lift to some of the players who had fallen out of favour in recent times like David Templeton and Barry McKay as well as offering plenty of opportunities to recent callups like Tom Walsh, Ryan Hardie and Calum Gallagher.

I know I've gone on a bit here but I'm more optimistic about my team than I have been in years. I've got a lot of confidence in the new Manager and it appears we've finally seen an end to the torturous board shenanigans that did such a number on the team before. Failing to get promoted was a real kick in the teeth but this season can be massive for the club and I'm so excited to see what happens.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer/Football