It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 8:40 am

May 2015 Fútbol/Football Discussion: 10 Days Late Edition

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: May 2015 Fútbol/Football Discussion: 10 Days Late Edition

Postby prophet » May 21, '15, 12:06 pm

PorkChop wrote:Reports say that Sterling is disappointed that Liverpool didn't protect him from the negative headlines... which he caused. He was filmed smoking hookah and taking laughing gas, gave interviews without permission, spoke openly about the club not meeting his valuation of himself. He's such a twat.

Surely I'm not the only one that thinks Jordan Ibe can be just as good as Sterling?

Ibe has today signed a 5 year deal and has all the raw attributes Sterling has except he's got more upper body strength, his parents manage his affairs because he knows they have his best interests at heart and Rodgers is great for developing young talent. We all know Brendan is terrible in the transfer market and he'll likely allow the Sterling saga to drag on all Summer but were it me? I'd say good riddance, send him off to City for a cash + Jovetic deal and say thank you very much.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Viazon » May 21, '15, 12:28 pm

Sometimes football fans give players too much hate for wanting to leave a club.

I know you can get a bit carried away. I was pissed when RVP wanted to leave. But at the end of the day, whatever the reason for them wanting to leave is, whether they want more money or they want to win trophies, who are fans to get mad at a playing for wanting to leave? Anyone, no matter what they do, would leave their job if they could get a better one. Liverpool are not a champions league and he wants champions league football. If he has to leave to get that, then fair play. Who wouldn't? Sure, some people might argue that he could stay and help Liverpool to become better in the future. But he doesn't want to. Is it selfish? Who knows, but it's his choice. It's not fair on him for them to say he should stay.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby PorkChop » May 21, '15, 12:30 pm

Ibe seems a decent prospect, but I don't think he'll end up as good as Sterling is currently.

I'm intrigued as to how the saga will unfold. United are reported as being interested in him, and that would certainly make for an interesting summer transfer window. Wherever he ends up though, I hope Sterling one day regrets this whole affair. It's smacked of immaturity since the beginning. I certainly wouldn't feel sorry for him if he leaves Liverpool and flops at a new club.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SlightlyJames » May 21, '15, 12:39 pm

There's nothing wrong with fans wanting players to stay at the club that gave them a chance. In Sterling's case he's been there since he was what, 15? No doubt there will have been fans watching his development and excited for him maturing as a player, now he's become a very important part of the team, he was undroppable for a while there. People form connections to their players, get attached, grow very fond of them. It's very disappointing when a player turns around and says that means nothing to them.

Assuming his agent isn't talking complete bollocks, and I wouldn't rule that out, money isn't a factor. I read something along the lines of he'd leave even if they offered him £900k or something along those lines. If that's the case it's the trophies thing. How short is his memory? This time last year they narrowly missed out on the Premier League title. If he's not willing to pull his socks up and fight for that success then why would any club even want him?

If he wants to walk into a team that's going to win with or without him, let him do it. He'll have gone down a lot in my estimation and I wouldn't blame the portion of Liverpool fans who are pissed off one bit.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » May 21, '15, 12:45 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:Assuming his agent isn't talking complete bollocks, and I wouldn't rule that out, money isn't a factor. I read something along the lines of he'd leave even if they offered him £900k or something along those lines.

I don't think money is a factor anymore, but it was in the beginning. I remember he wanted over 100k per week and he's nowhere near worth that. Maybe if he doubled his goals and assist tally this season he could stake a claim for that salary, but alas.

I think now, after the fallout about his contract, he just wants out of Liverpool. Apparently he blames the club for failing to protect him from the negative headlines about him (even though he caused these) and now he seems to feel that his relationship with the club is beyond repair. Funny really, as you can't fault the club - he's the one who's been complaining about wages while inhaling nitrous oxide and giving interviews about club matters without permission. What a fool.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 21, '15, 3:09 pm

Sterling's agent Aidy Ward on Carragher: "He's a knob" - even I think that's, in the words of Tony Pulis, "Harrrsh!"

United being in for him was hilarious - lot of newspapers reported but I think it was a United source just stirring shit for the sake of it. Not needed at all.

I'm beginning to change my mind - first it did seem motivated by money. But thinking of it Sterling left QPR very young, moved to Liverpool and could potentially leave for £40m for another club. So he was never going to be a long-term player - he's seen Suarez go, Gerrard's gone and he's probably looking round the dressing room thinking: "Are these guys supposed to be help us win the league or get a CL spot?" In that thinking, you can't blame him for thinking Liverpool are not going to match his ambitions. He's 19/20, so he could sign a new deal and leave at 23-24 for a new club but guess he doesn't want to wait around.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SlightlyJames » May 23, '15, 7:02 am

Rangers beat Hibs to go through to the last stage of the dumb as fuck Scottish playoffs, where we will now play the team who got 11th place in the SPL, Motherwell. Our manager Stuart McCall's old club, should be an interesting couple of matches even if it's a load of bullshit.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 23, '15, 10:19 am

SlightlyJames wrote:Rangers beat Hibs to go through to the last stage of the dumb as fuck Scottish playoffs, where we will now play the team who got 11th place in the SPL, Motherwell. Our manager Stuart McCall's old club, should be an interesting couple of matches even if it's a load of bullshit.

Woah, that's abit fucked. I thought it was play off for the 2nd/3rd place in the Division One but that idea seems cack anyway. Motherwell must have been shit to be in that position in the SPL so bizarre they'd get a chance to stay up at the expense of a team who has done well to be, potentially, promoted.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » May 24, '15, 8:21 am

Two disallowed goals for Hull. They were rightfully disallowed, but damn.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Viazon » May 24, '15, 8:40 am

Walcott starts for the first time since before I can even remember. Scores a hat trick.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby prophet » May 24, '15, 8:44 am

BRENDAN RODGERS CONFIRMED AS A TACTICAL GENIUS.

"Alright lads, we might as well fuck this off. Spurs can piss about in the Europa League every Thursday, fine by me"

NOW DO YOU SEE PORKCHOP? RODGERS KNOWS.

EDIT: 5-0. Rodgers at half time.

"Right guys I know the plan was to fuck this off but you fuckers are putting me in hot water here"

:lol

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » May 24, '15, 8:49 am

I would laugh, but my team had also conceded 5 before half time last week.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 24, '15, 12:10 pm

That sort of result can be fatal. Reminded me of Sven Goran Eriksson's Man City getting tonked 8-1 on the final day of the 07/08 season when he was set to be sacked despite a decent first year. Slightly different here but still, Klopp being available (not set for the Madrid job now Rafa is getting it; always laughable West Ham being linked with him), there's a real temptation to go for Klopp I reckon. FSG have shown ruthlessness with managers before and I doubt Liverpool fans, on the whole, would be that upset if Brenton went and Klopp came in.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 24, '15, 2:00 pm

Is it me or have the threads relating to the PL picks disappeared?

Just remembered about it and my apologies lads for not maintaining it - but realised how much of my brain (specifically the part that is shit at Maths!) is required to put it together @Prophet @PorkChop @Daz @SlightlyJames and the rest who I forgot to tag!

Last edited by AkydefGoldberg on May 24, '15, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SlightlyJames » May 24, '15, 2:06 pm

I noticed this today as well actually, since it was the end of the season I'd been meaning to see who had won (since I quit when my internet was off for ages and I missed a bunch of rounds) but couldn't find any going back months.

Oh, and by the way Aky you tag people like this

Code: Select all
[tag]SlightlyJames[/tag]

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 24, '15, 2:26 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:I noticed this today as well actually, since it was the end of the season I'd been meaning to see who had won (since I quit when my internet was off for ages and I missed a bunch of rounds) but couldn't find any going back months.

Oh, and by the way Aky you tag people like this

Code: Select all
[tag]SlightlyJames[/tag]

Ha, thanks for the reminder. Too much Twitter for me.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby prophet » May 25, '15, 6:45 am

I think Liverpool should only get rid of Rodgers if Klopp is available and I actually feel kinda bad for saying that because I do like Brendan, he's a great coach with good ideas but poor transfer work (not finding a half decent replacement for Suarez, not bringing in a half decent defender despite every man and his dog identifying that as the weakest link of the side) has cost him this season. I think the majority would love it if Klopp came in but the likelihood is they'd get rid of Rodgers and bring in Garry Monk or Villas-Boas or some other average name.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » May 25, '15, 8:34 am

prophet wrote:I think Liverpool should only get rid of Rodgers if Klopp is available and I actually feel kinda bad for saying that because I do like Brendan, he's a great coach with good ideas but poor transfer work (not finding a half decent replacement for Suarez, not bringing in a half decent defender despite every man and his dog identifying that as the weakest link of the side) has cost him this season. I think the majority would love it if Klopp came in but the likelihood is they'd get rid of Rodgers and bring in Garry Monk or Villas-Boas or some other average name.

I'd sack him, I've said so before. His transfers are laughably bad - I can't think of a team who have done worse business in transfer windows than Liverpool post-Suarez. He signed Balotelli and Lambert yet they're so bad that he prefers to play without a recognised striker. Origi is also pretty terrible - he was named in the Ligue 1 worst XI this season.

Rodgers seems like a nice guy, but I have my doubts he's the man to take Liverpool forward. He's had the time, he's had the money, and he's not delivered.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 25, '15, 3:44 pm

Klopp, according to German newspaper BILD, is taking a year's sabbatical and so is Ancelotti who actually might not be a bad name. His domestic record isn't great but would get you into the top four I imagine.

FSG have said (according to some newspapers) they sticking with Brendan. I don't mind - on the basis of this season, keep him forever!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » May 27, '15, 8:56 am

Watching the Premiership Years, 2011/2012 season.

I still can't believe that Gary Speed killed himself. I remember watching him on Football Focus the day before and it was just a normal show, then the news broke that he'd hung himself. I remember going on Facebook and one of my mates had a status like "Gary Speed, holy shit" so I googled his name, and never did I expect to see a news story that he'd been found dead. It's crazy how you never know what's going on inside people's heads.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer/Football