It is currently: May 10, '24, 11:13 am

Raheem Sterling

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Raheem Sterling

Postby PorkChop » Apr 03, '15, 5:30 am

...is in no way worth 180k per week.

I like Sterling as a player but this whole saga smacks of immaturity. He says it's not about money, it's about trophies - he's 20 years old. If he looks after himself he still has the best part of 15 years before his retirement, which is plenty of time to achieve the goals he's aiming for. He still has much to learn and isn't ready for a team like Real Madrid.

It really seems like he's gotten too big for his boots, especially after giving the BBC that interview about his future without Liverpool's permission. Rodgers seems to be putting him in his place though.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Raheem Sterling

Postby Viazon » Apr 03, '15, 2:42 pm

These young players need to put in their the second they start making a name for themselves. The second they start getting some attention, they will quickly get big headed without someone who can firmly put them back down to Earth. That is too much money for a player of his age. And the problem is, if Liverpool don't want to pay it, another team will. Unfortunately, loyalty is something that people just don't have. He may very well want to win trophies but as you have stated Porkchop, he is still very young. He can have a good few years there still. Then he can leave if he doesn't win anything. This just smells like him wanting more money and a bigger club.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby SlightlyJames » Apr 03, '15, 3:15 pm

I don't really see the problem. Dude thinks his services are worth more than he's been offered and he wants to go somewhere they'll pay him that. I don't see anyone here doing different. Only part that bothers me is that he feels the need to hide it. The argument that he's not worth it doesn't make any sense either. Pretty much any player in a good league is paid a complete fucking nonsense amount.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Tom » Apr 03, '15, 6:10 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:I don't really see the problem. Dude thinks his services are worth more than he's been offered and he wants to go somewhere they'll pay him that. I don't see anyone here doing different. Only part that bothers me is that he feels the need to hide it. The argument that he's not worth it doesn't make any sense either. Pretty much any player in a good league is paid a complete fucking nonsense amount.

Yeah, wages may be nonsense for everyone but that doesn't mean the wage he is being offered isn't nonsense in comparison to others in the league. Should he accept £180,000 a week, that would put him on par with the likes of what Diego Costa and Eden Hazard are earning at Chelsea. And he isn't worth the same wage as them in my opinion. Although he is a player with a lot of prospect, he is not even close to the finished article. His final product is woeful at times!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 23

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 10, '15, 12:37 pm

When the manager says he's one of the best young players in Europe, you can't blame his agent (as scrupulous as he is) for saying to Sterling, "look, you get what you fucking can".

£180k is ridiculous. He's on 30k a week, a £100k a week is a bonus result for him. In a way, good on Liverpool for putting their foot on down. Sterling's handled this badly, as shown by that interview and the heckles he got during next year's kit launch.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby prophet » Apr 10, '15, 2:32 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't think Sterling leaving would be that big a loss? Not nearly on the same scale as Suarez/Gerrard leaving. If I draw up a starting XI for next season with one or two low-risk realistic additions in the summer you've got a pretty cohesive unit.

Mignolet
Richards - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno
Can
Milner - Henderson
Coutinho
Sturridge - Ings

Then if you look at a bench that includes Ibe, Walcott (?) and one or two others I don't think Sterling buggering off should be too much of a worry for Rodgers. He's got enormous potential sure but his end product is lacking, his finishing is woeful/inconsistent and he's replaceable.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Soccer/Football