It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 7:16 pm

A mistake by England to go down the foreign manager route?

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

A mistake by England to go down the foreign manager route?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 17, '13, 11:00 am

Just intrigued by comments by people about England should be managed by an English manager and that other lesser countries had adopted coaches from their own nationality than going abroad.

So, did we make a mistake going down the foreign manager route by appointing Eriksson in 2000? And then Capello in 2008?

I'd have to say, we probably did considering the lack of success we had both managers. But the real mistake I think was not appointing an international manager. Someone, like Guus Hiddink for example, who has been a national coach and experience in that field.

Crozier went for Eriksson because he was a highly rated coach after his success with Lazio and that bald FA chief executive (Brian Barwick) went for Capello because it was time for some discipline which worked to some extent.

Also the wages spent out on both of them doesn't help.

I'd rather have crashed out of the WC at QF stages with an English coach than a foreign one but I guess there wasn't a massive depth in coaches ready to take over.

Thoughts?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: A mistake by England to go down the foreign manager rout

Postby PorkChop » Nov 17, '13, 11:18 am

I think the whole 'England need an English manager!' stuff is all bullshit anyway. England have always been very self-righteous, and feel that our team deserves much more than they actually get. We're basically Newcastle on an international stage. The reason we always crash out in the quarter finals is because we're not as good as the other teams, regardless of who is the manager. It just so happens that when he's foreign, he's easier to criticise.

The real problem is the Premier League. Because of the amount of money players get for playing for their club, playing for England is no longer seen as an honour. Gone are the days where players like Paul Ince and Terry Butcher would bleed buckets playing for us, and instead now we have a bunch of prima donnas who would probably rather sit on the bench, or just not be called up to the national squad at all. There's no honour, because English players aren't in the sport for honour and pride, they're in it for themselves. This will continue to be the case until something massively changes. Brazilian players, Portuguese players, Argentines, Spanish... they're all honoured to wear their country's colours and play on the international stage. The English players would rather play for their club, as that's where the money's at.

So the problem isn't the manager, and whatever bloody country he was born in. The problem is our country.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Re: A mistake by England to go down the foreign manager rout

Postby Romo » Nov 17, '13, 11:24 am

Englands mistake is and always will be that they are not as a good as people think they are and they constantly hire managers based on their rep instead of their ability, I mean Hodgson has really been at a really good side since 95 when he managed Inter, he took over Liverpool when they were in a slump and made them even worse which shows how bad of a manager he is.

England need a fresh manager with new ideas every manager plays the same old football and it is easy to defend against.

And one of the main reasons England suck is the lack of passion from the players, lack of passion from the fans and then fact that the premier league managers would rather the players not go on international duties and my guess is they tell them to half arse it so they don't get injured.

England are about 15 years behind the top international clubs and definitely aren't anywhere near good enough to win a major tournament any time soon

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Return to Soccer/Football