It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 9:46 pm

I'm watching Celtic vs Dundee

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

I'm watching Celtic vs Dundee

Postby PorkChop » Mar 08, '15, 11:02 am

...and the standard of football on display is absolutely shocking. It's laughably bad.

For a team who are far and beyond the best team in Scotland, they're an embarrassment. You could've fooled me that I was watching a game between two non-league clubs. I'd fancy almost every Championship team to comfortably beat them, and I'd back a a fair few League One teams to get a result against them as well. They're not even having a bad game either- this is actually how they play.

How some Celtic fans think the team could hang with the best in the Premier League is beyond me. If this team are the best team in Scotland, then Scottish football is even worse than I thought.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: I'm watching Celtic vs Dundee

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 08, '15, 11:25 am

I'd imagine they'd do alright in the Championship. I wasn't watching the match, last time I saw them play was the first leg against Inter and they had a pretty good showing (3-3) though they did get beat 1-0 in the second leg.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Mar 08, '15, 11:27 am

Celtic can't even put away a 9 man Dundee United.

No way can they hang with Fulham, Leeds, Bolton etc at the bottom of the Championship.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 08, '15, 11:30 am

PorkChop wrote:Celtic can't even put away a 9 man Dundee United.

No way can they hang with Fulham, Leeds, Bolton etc at the bottom of the Championship.

Dundee and Dundee Utd. are different teams by the way :lol Like I said I'd see them doing alright in the Championship but it's not going to happen.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Candyman44 » Mar 08, '15, 11:55 am

As a Celtic fan I think your post is a bit ridiculous. For a start you've based it on one game which you caught on tv which is probably the worst game I've seen in a while, due in large part to a poor pitch and poor officiating.
Also the fact you claim that almost every team in the championship and even league one would beat Celtic is laughable and obviously means you don't pay much attention to football outside your own team whoever that is. Celtic have beaten more than a handful of EPL teams in the last 10-15 years and convincingly, as well as some other good teams from around Europe.

"They're not even having a bad game either- this is actually how they play." is also an opinion which is baffling. You obviously haven't watched any of the last 10 or so games before this week in which Ronny Deila's style of play has began to be implemented and Celtic had a 12 game unbeaten run up until a cruel 0-1 defeat in the San Siro after playing 60 minutes with 10 men. I suggest you do your research before posting bullshit, rather than forming an opinion based on a shambles of a match with 10 men v 9.

Candyman44 None specified
Gym Rat
Gym Rat

Postby PorkChop » Mar 08, '15, 12:27 pm

It's not "laughable" or "baffling" though is it? It's not like I've called Real Madrid or Barcelona shit. We're talking about Celtic here, the best team from one of the worst and most irrelevant major leagues in Europe (if you'd go as far to say the SPL is a major league)

Candyman44 wrote:Celtic have beaten more than a handful of EPL teams in the last 10-15 years and convincingly, as well as some other good teams from around Europe.

Teams like Middlesborough have also beaten EPL teams and some good teams from Europe in the last 10-15 years. They made it to a Europa League final not too long ago. What league are they in again? The Championship, which is probably where Celtic would be if they ever joined the English system.

Candyman44 wrote:You obviously haven't watched any of the last 10 or so games before this week in which Ronny Deila's style of play has began to be implemented and Celtic had a 12 game unbeaten run

A 12 game unbeaten run against the likes of Hamilton Academic, Ross County, Partick Thistle and St Johnstone to name but a few. Truly the cream of the European crop there. Colour me impressed.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Mar 08, '15, 12:38 pm

Hey, let's not give Hamilton Athletic any stick. Their former manager is a god damn football genius.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 08, '15, 12:45 pm

PorkChop wrote:We're talking about Celtic here, the best team from one of the worst and most irrelevant major leagues in Europe (if you'd go as far to say the SPL is a major league)

Alright, I take issue with that. Yes, the quality of the English leagues and a fair few others are of a higher standard of football than the Scottish league setup. It's not an opinion to say that the standard of football in Scotland at the moment is lower than at least 7 other leagues, it's fact. Nobody's arguing that isn't the case, though obviously I hope it gets better.

This isn't the first time by any means I've seen you make remarks like this and I don't remember you being challenged on it at any stage, so what is your goal in continuing to beat the dead horse? What do you hope to gain from this?

While it's fair to say that the standard of football is low at the moment I very much take issue with the idea that it's irrelevant. It's relevant to anyone who follow Scottish teams and that's not going to change because of our standing compared to the rest of the world. When Villa were playing shite earlier this season was that not relevant to you?

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Candyman44 » Mar 08, '15, 1:02 pm

1) "We're talking about Celtic"... who are a bigger club than 95% of the rest of the teams in the UK.
2) Because you may not watch Scottish football doesn't make it relevant, its certainly relevant to me and everyone else who follow it.
3) Middlesborough were a top 10 EPL team when they reached the UEFA cup final. A fine example of a poorer club in a big league, comparable to the Hamiltons and St Johnstons you listed. Yes the shit EPL clubs (Burnley, Stoke etc) may be miles ahead of the rest of the SPFL teams, but with the financial advantages of English football Celtic wouldn't be in the same category as these teams, they'd be in the category of the top teams, no doubt about it.

Candyman44 None specified
Gym Rat
Gym Rat

Postby SKS » Mar 09, '15, 3:42 pm

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Return to Soccer/Football