It is currently: May 14, '24, 6:40 am

Rule question: hands

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Rule question: hands

Postby Everlong » Jan 17, '15, 12:38 pm

So in my quest to learn more about the sport of soccer occasionally I have questions that pop into my mind.

I've never seen hands called on a team in a game I've watched. So what is the penalty for touching the ball with your hands? And is there ever a situation where like, if a defender knows a goalie isn't going to get to a ball, they'll stretch out and knock it away with their hands and accept the penalty instead?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Rule question: hands

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 17, '15, 12:48 pm

If an outfield player handles the ball in their own box it's a penalty and usually a red card, a handball outside of their box from any player is a free kick on the spot of the incident and a yellow card. I've seen defenders do what you describe but it would generally be more beneficial to try and head it or failing that, just let the goal happen as penalty saving is unreliable and being down a player isn't worth it.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Everlong » Jan 17, '15, 12:50 pm

Got it.

Also, when a player gets a red card, are they not allowed to substitute someone in for him for the rest of the game, or just for a certain period of time like how penalties work in hockey?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 17, '15, 12:52 pm

A red card means that player is gone and the team has one less player on the field for the rest of the match, there's no option to bring someone else on in their place, it's basically a dead spot in the team.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Jan 17, '15, 12:55 pm

Everlong wrote:Got it.

Also, when a player gets a red card, are they not allowed to substitute someone in for him for the rest of the game, or just for a certain period of time like how penalties work in hockey?

Once a player is sent off the team is down to 10 men for the rest of the game.

The most famous time what you're talking about happened at the 2010 World Cup. During extra time of the quarter final match between Ghana and Uruguay Luis Suarez (who else?) handballed on the line to prevent a goal and essentially keep his team alive, he was sent off immediately and Ghana actually missed the resulting penalty before going on to lose the game on penalties.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Viazon » Jan 17, '15, 12:56 pm

^Was just coming to post that.

That's the only time in recent memory I can remember that happening.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Everlong » Jan 17, '15, 1:03 pm

Suarez is the one who bites people right?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jan 17, '15, 1:05 pm

Everlong wrote:Suarez is the one who bites people right?

Yes :lol

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Jan 17, '15, 1:05 pm

Everlong wrote:Suarez is the one who bites people right?

Correct! He's also the one who racially abuses people!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 17, '15, 1:05 pm

You know it baby

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Jan 17, '15, 1:08 pm

So he's like the soccer version of Ndamukong Suh, but also racist. Got it.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Jan 17, '15, 1:09 pm

I still can't believe hit bit Chiellini last year. Especially all that went down from when he did it before. He even tried to blame him for backing his shoulder up into his teeth.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Jan 17, '15, 1:11 pm

Viazon wrote:I still can't believe hit bit Chiellini last year. Especially all that went down from when he did it before. He even tried to blame him for backing his shoulder up into his teeth.

Dude yeah I remember that, the replays for that were all over the place. How the fuck could he think that anyone would buy it was an "accidental biting?"

Didn't he get banned from international competition for that?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 17, '15, 1:12 pm

Everlong wrote:
Viazon wrote:I still can't believe hit bit Chiellini last year. Especially all that went down from when he did it before. He even tried to blame him for backing his shoulder up into his teeth.

Dude yeah I remember that, the replays for that were all over the place. How the fuck could he think that anyone would buy it was an "accidental biting?"

Didn't he get banned from international competition for that?

He got banned from all football activity for a few months but he's back now.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Jan 17, '15, 1:28 pm

I fucking hate Suarez, he's easily one of the biggest cunts to play in the Premier League ever. John Terry, Ryan Giggs, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane and a few others deserve a mention (Aky will dispute most of these) but Suarez was just detestable. The fact that he tried to pretend that the bite on Chiellini was accidental was infuriating.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Viazon » Jan 17, '15, 1:36 pm

PorkChop wrote:I fucking hate Suarez, he's easily one of the biggest cunts to play in the Premier League ever. John Terry, Ryan Giggs, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane and a few others deserve a mention (Aky will dispute most of these) but Suarez was just detestable. The fact that he tried to pretend that the bite on Chiellini was accidental was infuriating.

A lot of people still respect Ryan Giggs because of what he done for the game and for Manchester United and many may think he is a respectable man. And he certainly comes across that way in interviews and such. But when all those stories broke out about him, my opinion of him changed. You don't do things like that unless you are a giant douche bag. I mean, his own brother? You gotta be a special kind of scumbag for that. I don't see why I should like someone just because he is talented at football.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Jan 17, '15, 1:38 pm

Viazon wrote:
PorkChop wrote:I fucking hate Suarez, he's easily one of the biggest cunts to play in the Premier League ever. John Terry, Ryan Giggs, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane and a few others deserve a mention (Aky will dispute most of these) but Suarez was just detestable. The fact that he tried to pretend that the bite on Chiellini was accidental was infuriating.

A lot of people still respect Ryan Giggs because of what he done for the game and for Manchester United and many may think he is a respectable man. And he certainly comes across that way in interviews and such. But when all those stories broke out about him, my opinion of him changed. You don't do things like that unless you are a giant douche bag. I mean, his own brother? You gotta be a special kind of scumbag for that. I don't see why I should like someone just because he is talented at football.

*awaits the arrival of Aky, defending Giggs' decision to sleep with his brother's wife for 8 years*

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SortaCreative » Jan 17, '15, 1:44 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Viazon wrote:

*awaits the arrival of Aky, defending Giggs' decision to sleep with his brother's wife for 8 years*

It was accidental.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 17, '15, 1:58 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Viazon wrote:

lol, too easy a set up. I think I've said enough on the topic.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to Soccer/Football