It is currently: Apr 30, '24, 9:41 pm

Brendan Rodgers deserves to be sacked

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Brendan Rodgers deserves to be sacked

Postby PorkChop » Dec 14, '14, 9:42 am

There, I said it. I like the guy, but you can't excuse his failings.

His recruitment has been abysmal. Liverpool received one of the biggest transfer fees ever for Luis Suarez and Rodgers wasted it. The only signings which have been half-decent are Lambert and possibly Lallana - everyone else has been utter trash, especially Balotelli and Lovren. The fact that Rodgers has wasted so much money is inexcusable. If you were a chairman, would you trust Rodgers with large amounts of money again? Especially the amount of money needed for Liverpool to re-establish themselves as a top side?

His tactics have been equally as bad. He persisted with Gerrard even though he was playing terribly and has deteriorated horribly as a player, he keeps substituting Lallana despite him being the most technical and creative player in the team, and went into a derby against Man United without a recognised striker. There are no words.

Rodgers has made inexcusable mistakes which have turned Liverpool from title challengers into Europa League hopefuls. To put things into perspective - they're halfway through the season and are trailing by 7 points to West Ham. Liverpool were never going to be the same without Suarez, but for the money Rodgers was given in the summer, they should be doing far better than they are now.

He deserves to go.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Brendan Rodgers deserves to be sacked

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 14, '14, 10:09 am

I think that's a little hasty, his signings haven't looked so good so far, Balotelli in particular has been a spectacularly poor buy, but I reckon he should be given more time. The guy took Liverpool to the brink of the title last year and got a lot of under performing players on track. They've had a shaky year but I would give him time to steady the ship and get them in a decent position for the end of the season.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Dec 14, '14, 10:24 am

SlightlyJames wrote:I think that's a little hasty, his signings haven't looked so good so far, Balotelli in particular has been a spectacularly poor buy, but I reckon he should be given more time. The guy took Liverpool to the brink of the title last year and got a lot of under performing players on track. They've had a shaky year but I would give him time to steady the ship and get them in a decent position for the end of the season.

Suarez took Liverpool to the brink of winning the title, not Rodgers - I think that's plain to see this season.

As for getting a decent league position - if you consider midtable a decent league position for last year's title challengers, I agree.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 14, '14, 10:31 am

The entire team was playing great last year, Suarez put most of them away but Sturridge for example was also fantastic and they've really been hurting in his absence. I think it's being a bit sensational to call for his head this early. If they're in this position later in the season there might be a discussion to be had.

You might want to re-read that last part, I didn't say they were in a decent position right now, I said they could still get there.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 14, '14, 1:38 pm

He'll stay till the end of the season unless, like Moyes at United, the results and performances get that bad the club act. Henry's not showing much support to Rodgers on Twitter and he axed Hodgson and Dalglish ruthlessly and interestingly latter was at OT, probably gleeful inside, he might have another crack at the job if BR gets sacked before the end of the season.

BR is not coaching his team on how to be more compact. Benitez was at least adroit in those matters but Rodgers, IMO, doesn't have that nous to train his players to defend better. I imagine he feels attack is the best form of defence.

Don't feel great sympathy for BR personally - liked him at Swansea but he's got a tad drunk on his success last season. This quote in pre-season typifying this:

On Southampton

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Dec 14, '14, 5:34 pm

http://mobile.twitter.com/OptaJoe/statu ... 1446934528

Liverpool are currently in the midst of their worst season for 50 years.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jan 01, '15, 5:15 pm

Does anyone agree with me after today?

Liverpool blew a 2-0 lead to Leicester, and only scored via penalties... one of which shouldn't have been given.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby prophet » Jan 02, '15, 3:58 pm

PorkChop wrote:Does anyone agree with me after today?

Liverpool blew a 2-0 lead to Leicester, and only scored via penalties... one of which shouldn't have been given.

You still feel he should be sacked? Outrageous. He's actually doing a better job recently, slowly but surely managing to get the formation/team right and whilst they're no where near the level they were at last season they're definitely improving - Sturridge coming back will make the team a threat again going forward I'm absolutely sure of it, he's a proven goalscorer/runner and will make a big difference. That said if BR doesn't sort the defense out Liverpool will continue to drop points.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Jan 02, '15, 4:03 pm

He's been doing better as of late, but I'd have gotten rid of him some time ago.

#Hatersgonnahate

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 02, '15, 4:18 pm

Would like to know what his training on defence is like. I imagine he believes attack is the best form of defence but also, not handled Gerrard well this season, probably contributed to his decision to leave.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » May 02, '15, 2:22 am

FWIW - I still stand by this.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » May 02, '15, 7:46 am

I don't even to look at the results to know that Liverpool are playing bad. I can tell when that Liverpool fan I work with starts talking about their history.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby PorkChop » Sep 12, '15, 2:42 pm

Bumping, as now it's actually time for him to go.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 12, '15, 4:58 pm

He didn't help himself tactically today, why he shoved Ings wide when he could have adopted a braver approach playing two up top and take the game to United, IDK. Yet still, the word outstanding was used in his post-match.

Henry's probably got Klopp on speed dial..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Viazon » Sep 14, '15, 11:55 am

Fuck that. Jose needs to be sacked.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Daz » Sep 14, '15, 12:23 pm

PorkChop wrote:Bumping, as now it's actually time for him to go.

They can hold off until Norwich beat them.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby prophet » Sep 14, '15, 12:48 pm

I agree.

I'm watching Monday Night Football now and they've highlighted Liverpool's attacking options, broken down as follows;

Strikers: Benteke, Sturridge, Ings, Origi
Number 10's: Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino
Wingers: Ibe
Centre Midfielders: Henderson, Milner, Can, Allen, Lucas.

That's pretty horrific viewing. Rodgers has spent extortionate sums of money (for the second season running, I might add) on certain players and now as a result these players have become first team stalwarts and severely hindered Rodgers' tactical flexibility - this is fucking odd considering Rodgers' entire philosophy is based on that flexibility.

You can't drop Benteke because you've spent £32 million on him however you also can't leave Sturridge on the bench so now if you're not going to play two up-front (something Liverpool haven't done in years) you're going to shove Sturridge out wide in a position he isn't happy with.

You can't drop Coutinho as he's easily the best player they have however you also can't drop Firmino as you've spent £29 million on him. You also can't have number 10's so you've got to nullify the creative threat of one or both these players by again, showing them out wide in position they don't want to play. Same goes for Lallana, a talented player who is more effective when playing central.

You can't drop Henderson as he's club captain however you also can't drop Milner as the only reason he signed up is because you promised him he'd be a regular in centre midfield (he's also the vice captain). Then how do you justify benching Emre Can? Good enough for the German National team (and an underrated player to boot) but not good enough for Liverpool?

Rodgers has again made stupid signings that have stifled his entire philosophy and hindered his ability to pick the starting 11 he actually wants. Playing a 4-3-3 with Henderson/Milner/Can in the middle is flawed anyway as none of them have the quality to turn defense to attack on a dime and excite the crowd (see: Steven Gerrard), playing Coutinho/Benteke/Firmino up top doesn't work either because the two Brazillians would rather receive the ball to feet and pass their way into the back of the net and that isn't going to happen in this team.

Bottom line; Rodgers main flaw, his transfer dealings, have been so fucking shit that it's actually begun to mess with his ability as a coach/manager. He'll cringe his way through press conferences in a way that doesn't inspire confidence, so much so that he's become a parody for his over-use of the word 'character'. He'll pick players for the sheer sake of it rather than what the team needs and can't attract the type of players a club like Liverpool should be yearning for.

+1 for throwing the cheque book at Klopp.

(Note how I've not even mentioned the defense, which is such a laughable topic within itself I can't even begin to breakdown the idiocy)

:damn

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Sep 14, '15, 2:13 pm

Rodgers' persistence with Lovren is also pretty baffling. He's been a huge liability.

His transfers have just been awful. He signs players for massive amounts of money but doesn't seem to have a plan as to how to use them properly. His transfer strategy is basically the real-life version of when I get home from the pub after a few pints and turn on FM. Don't care about tactics, don't care about transfer fees, just buy all of the forwards.

I don't think he can be afforded another transfer window. Get him out, get Klopp in to sort the mess out.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 14, '15, 2:50 pm

I'd keep him as manager, just needs time, sure he will come good, sure of it, keep him as manager for another couple of years please and give him more more money to spend...

But on a serious note, I'd probably give him until the end of the year see if the return of Strurridge etc can help transform his fortunes but as noted above, he's struggling with options for the formation he wants. Neville said on MNF that the criticism of his defence seems to have made him go the other way too much. I mean, Ings was so deep it was ridiculous - losing to Manchester United isn't helpful at the best of times but fans could take it if they at least fought or attacked the opponents.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to Soccer/Football