It is currently: May 17, '24, 4:42 pm

July 2014 Football/Fútbol Discussion: "Tim Howard is a God" Edition

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: July 2014 Football/Fútbol Discussion: "Tim Howard is a God" Edition

Postby Daz » Jul 22, '14, 1:05 pm

Speaking of new kits, Norwich's new away shirt.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Jul 22, '14, 1:11 pm

^ Pretty sweet.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Jul 22, '14, 2:57 pm

Everyone up for downloading the Sun Dream Team app for next season? Quick, free and easy to use.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby xgamr » Jul 22, '14, 4:06 pm

Lazio's new kits is ok. ill get used to it over time

James Rodriguez to Real Madrid for $60M. he should be great there

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby prophet » Jul 22, '14, 4:11 pm

Whilst admittedly Rodriguez is a brilliant signing for Real, let's look at the facts.

- They've spent a shit load on James and Kroos this Summer.
- They spent a shit load on Isco and Illara last Summer.
- Real's two best midfielders last year were Modric and Alonso.

So it's looking ever more likely that Isco and Di Maria (two superbly talented footballers) are to be shown the door just so Madrid can continue to bring in marquee's as they feel pressured when rival teams like Barca and Bayern do so. Oh to have money and power.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Jul 22, '14, 4:46 pm

Calling it already - Bojan will be shit in the Premier League. He can barely score goals in easier leagues like the Eredivisie and Seria A, he's 5"7, lightweight and will suffer from Stoke's lack of creativity / long ball tactics.

People are banging on about his transfer like Stoke have pulled off a coup, and I really disagree.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 23, '14, 1:24 pm

PorkChop wrote:Calling it already - Bojan will be shit in the Premier League. He can barely score goals in easier leagues like the Eredivisie and Seria A, he's 5"7, lightweight and will suffer from Stoke's lack of creativity / long ball tactics.

People are banging on about his transfer like Stoke have pulled off a coup, and I really disagree.

TBF Hughes did get them playing more on the ground last season. IDK how much Stoke have paid for Bojan but if it's a small fee then why not? He was highly rated but his decline since Barcelona has been shocking.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Romo » Jul 24, '14, 4:04 pm

So Frank Lampard joins NYCFC, easily the best goalscoring centre midfielder the premier league has ever seen, a legend, looking forward to seeing if where he'll go out on loan to until March

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby prophet » Jul 28, '14, 7:03 am

Romo wrote:So Frank Lampard joins NYCFC, easily the best goalscoring centre midfielder the premier league has ever seen, a legend, looking forward to seeing if where he'll go out on loan to until March

New York City don't start in the MLS until 2015, so he'll likely follow David Villa down to Melbourne City FC (also owned by this Manchester/New York City alliance) for the next year.

Enjoying watching the Champions Cup in America - good wins for City and Liverpool last night, who both play each other on Wednesday. Fancy City to win the whole thing tbh, the depth that squad has is unreal.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SKS » Jul 28, '14, 1:14 pm

prophet wrote:
Romo wrote:So Frank Lampard joins NYCFC, easily the best goalscoring centre midfielder the premier league has ever seen, a legend, looking forward to seeing if where he'll go out on loan to until March

New York City don't start in the MLS until 2015, so he'll likely follow David Villa down to Melbourne City FC (also owned by this Manchester/New York City alliance) for the next year.

Enjoying watching the Champions Cup in America - good wins for City and Liverpool last night, who both play each other on Wednesday. Fancy City to win the whole thing tbh, the depth that squad has is unreal.

You do know that we're not the only America, right :P

The Champions Cup matches have been okay, I thought last year's were a lot better because most of the stars actually started instead of recovering from the world cup. I'm a bit upset as I wanted to go to Liverpool/City on Wednesday, but I have my final exam Thursday morning and ticket prices aren't exactly cheap for a glorified exhibition match. Chelsea/City last year in NYC was a good one though.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author
Topics: 266

Postby PorkChop » Jul 28, '14, 1:25 pm

SKS wrote:You do know that we're not the only America, right :P

You always pick us up on this, but 'America' clearly refers to the USA.

When Obama says 'My fellow Americans', it's pretty clear who he's talking to. The same goes here.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SKS » Jul 28, '14, 1:34 pm

PorkChop wrote:
SKS wrote:You do know that we're not the only America, right :P

You always pick us up on this, but 'America' clearly refers to the USA.

When Obama says 'My fellow Americans', it's pretty clear who he's talking to. The same goes here.

I know, I'm just being a nuisance. :P It's just a small pet peeve of mine as there is the United States of America, North America, Central America, South America, and Canada which is part of North America but not the United States. We aren't America, we're the United States of America gawd dammit!!!!! And USA is shorter to type anyway :D

yee haw

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby SKS » Jul 28, '14, 2:41 pm

In other news, here's a sick goal from Zlatan in Hong Kong http://instagram.com/p/q_rH6khEJK

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jul 28, '14, 3:47 pm

https://twitter.com/deanoharding/status ... 5394847746

lmaoooooooooo

Saints current squad:

Boruc
Clyne Fonte Hooiveld Targett
Wanyama Cork Tadic Ramirez Davis
Pelle

They scored 54 goals last year. They've got rid of the scorers and assisters of 44 of them. Relegation odds have been cut down to 4/1 by some bookies - 7/1 to finish bottom.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby prophet » Jul 29, '14, 8:14 am

Luke Shaw made to train on his own because he isn't fit enough. He should be fined or something, there's no excuse for an 18-year who went to the World Cup to come back from his holiday un-fit. Must have been that self-entitled attitude that the teenage players get when they go to a big team, pretty sure Van Gaal will quash any attitudes like that pretty sharpish.

Must say I'm impressed by Van Gaal. He does have the aura about him that Moyes lacked and I reckon he'll get them straight back into the top four, the absence of Europe will help him no end.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 29, '14, 6:48 pm

prophet wrote:Luke Shaw made to train on his own because he isn't fit enough. He should be fined or something, there's no excuse for an 18-year who went to the World Cup to come back from his holiday un-fit. Must have been that self-entitled attitude that the teenage players get when they go to a big team, pretty sure Van Gaal will quash any attitudes like that pretty sharpish.

Must say I'm impressed by Van Gaal. He does have the aura about him that Moyes lacked and I reckon he'll get them straight back into the top four, the absence of Europe will help him no end.

It seems it was Shaw who initiated the extra fitness work which was then agreed by LVG. If so, rare to see a young player push for more training and realising he isn't up to scratch but works out well for LVG if he is seen to have "ordered" Shaw for more fitness and continue this aura around him. Difference between him and Moyes is night and day.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SKS » Jul 30, '14, 7:15 pm

City/Liverpool was a great one considering it was basically a friendly. Liverpool take it in penalties as Navas, Kolarov and Yaya had some pathetic attempts. :lol Mignolet was good though. Looking forward to the match against Olympiakos on Saturday.

Thought it was very good that we got over 50,000 in attendance for tonight's match as well. Hopefully NYC FC get a bunch of fans. I will say though that the field at Yankees Stadium is not very good for soccer. I am hoping they can get another soccer stadium built in 2016.

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby prophet » Jul 30, '14, 7:28 pm

Good little match that, enjoyed it. Thought it was clear that City were the stronger side but the fact Liverpool came from behind twice is encouraging. I'm not going to fuss about how weak we looked at times at the back because Coates and Kolo aren't going to be in the first team this season and they were always going to struggle against Navas' pace and Jovetic's movement. Sterling impressed yet again and the penalty shoot-out was fun to watch.

Going to do a Romo and stick my neck out by saying I think that Iheanacho kid of City's will wind up being a huge star.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SKS » Jul 30, '14, 7:37 pm

^I'm hoping he can play for NYC FC next year, he's shown great potential.

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Previous

Return to Soccer/Football