It is currently: May 20, '24, 12:45 pm

July 2014 Football/Fútbol Discussion: "Tim Howard is a God" Edition

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: July 2014 Football/Fútbol Discussion: "Tim Howard is a God" Edition

Postby prophet » Jul 09, '14, 4:13 am

SlightlyJames wrote:
AkydefGoldberg wrote:In other news, Fulham sign Ross McCormack for £11m?! LOL.

Ross fucking McCormack? He's worth about 3mil I'd say, that's a ludicrous valuation.

The fact they sold him for 11 million shocked me more than the Brazil game last night, ridiculous sum of money to spend on a Championship player with one stand-out season under his belt. The idiots who run Leeds must be laughing all the way to the bank.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 09, '14, 4:26 am

Some bloody sense of humour the SFA has

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Jul 11, '14, 3:20 pm

Just heard the BBC describe Neymar as 'footballing royalty'. Good lord.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Jul 11, '14, 3:31 pm

Reus? Jovetic? Balotelli? Pato?

No, Bony...for a reported 19 mill.

Sanchez? Di Maria? Shaqiri?

No, Markovic...for a reported 25 mill.

I just want dat marquee.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 11, '14, 4:10 pm

prophet wrote:Reus? Jovetic? Balotelli? Pato?

I just want dat marquee.

I agree with your sentiments but it seems Rodgers is buying players who fit into his style of playing which makes sense but the quality of players he's buying is very questionable atm. Balotelli is the only viable option there. Sanchez went to Arsenal. Di Maria will command a big wage and a big fee and Shaqiri is a baffling one as they were linked strongly but it's waned.

If Rodgers' signings perform poorly then I imagine the control he wrestled from Liverpool in terms of having more ownership of transfers will dissipate back to the club, via the transfer committee.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby prophet » Jul 11, '14, 4:14 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:

I just want dat marquee.

I agree with your sentiments but it seems Rodgers is buying players who fit into his style of playing which makes sense but the quality of players he's buying is very questionable atm. Balotelli is the only viable option there. Sanchez went to Arsenal. Di Maria will command a big wage and a big fee and Shaqiri is a baffling one as they were linked strongly but it's waned.

If Rodgers' signings perform poorly then I imagine the control he wrestled from Liverpool in terms of having more ownership of transfers will dissipate back to the club, via the transfer committee.

I know, I know and I'm being hyper-critical rather than trusting in Rodgers. Truth be told it's not actually the players he's after that bother me - Lovren would be a good addition and I actually rate Bony highly, it's the amount of money they're reportedly spending on these players that bothers me.

I've said it a few times but they'll (hypothetically) pay 25 million for Lovren when a player like Hummels will (again, hypothetically) go for only 5 mill more.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SKS » Jul 11, '14, 4:18 pm

Sadly I see United reaching the top four again and bouncing Liverpool out.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author
Topics: 266

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 11, '14, 4:18 pm

prophet wrote:
AkydefGoldberg wrote:

I just want dat marquee.

I know, I know and I'm being hyper-critical rather than trusting in Rodgers. Truth be told it's not actually the players he's after that bother me - Lovren would be a good addition and I actually rate Bony highly, it's the amount of money they're reportedly spending on these players that bothers me.

I've said it a few times but they'll (hypothetically) pay 25 million for Lovren when a player like Hummels will (again, hypothetically) go for only 5 mill more.

I'd be worried about both - quality and price. None of the players he's bought besides Emre/Markovic have CL experience and that'd be a worry. Like you said, prices being paid aren't great but that's the way the game is going. Someone could have a great season (example in point Michu two seasons ago) and be valued highly (he was valued at one point around £20mil) then drop off season after due to injuries (which Michu has and set to join Napoli on loan) be valued less.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Romo » Jul 13, '14, 4:14 pm

Bolton's home shirt for next season, first time in a long time I like the kit, ditched Adidas for Macron and the stadiums been renamed to the Macron Stadium.

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 14, '14, 12:18 pm

Man United with a £750m kit deal with Adidas over 10 years starting from the 15/16 season. Bloody hell.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Jul 14, '14, 12:21 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:Man United with a £750m kit deal with Adidas over 10 years starting from the 15/16 season. Bloody hell.

Most expensive kit deal in the whole of sports, ever. Bloody United...

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 14, '14, 12:22 pm

BT Sport's trailer for the new season....

Put your feet up @Prophet

@Viazon look away now..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 14, '14, 12:22 pm

PorkChop wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:Man United with a £750m kit deal with Adidas over 10 years starting from the 15/16 season. Bloody hell.

Most expensive kit deal in the whole of sports, ever. Bloody United...

Take a bow Ed Woodward. Man is on deal-finalising fire!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Romo » Jul 15, '14, 2:41 pm

I'm never really bothered when someone else buys a player ahead of us as I know we don't have the financial capabilities to compete with anyone but this just pure makes me want to cry

I mean did we even try and sign him... ffs right now we have Beckford & Craig Davies as our strikers with no interest in signing anyone right now... somebody hold me

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby PorkChop » Jul 16, '14, 6:06 am

Honestly, some of the rumours surrounding Villa are the moment are ridiculous.

Apparently:

- Villa are willing to let Delph go to West Ham for 4 million
- Villa are willing to let Ron Vlaar go to Arsenal for 5 million
- Villa have contacted other clubs trying to flog Benteke for 7 million

Yes, the club aren't in a great financial state but those rumours are quite silly. Villa would be demanding far much more for those players.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 17, '14, 1:04 pm

It's good to have a manager with authority in control at press conferences. Van Gaal's twenty minute press conference was probably the combined total of Moyes post-match press conferences as they were a couple of minutes at times. Disappointed no-one asked about Giggs and his thoughts on him as his number two but he seems to have given subsequent comments to MUTV saying Giggs will help him in adapting to the culture and he will help become a manager.

Carrick getting injured is a big blow considering the players we've lost in terms of experience, but listening to Van Gaal and players who can fit his philosophy - who knows, maybe he could coax something out of a player we've dismissed, namely Cleverley but exciting stuff already!

I wonder how long Moyes vision would be:

Put captions on (Dutch language ain't that sexy to me)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby prophet » Jul 17, '14, 2:36 pm

Tony GOAT Pulis has agreed deals to sign Fraizer Campbell and Gylfi Sigurdsson for Palace, two good signings IMO.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » Jul 17, '14, 2:43 pm

prophet wrote:Tony GOAT Pulis has agreed deals to sign Fraizer Campbell and Gylfi Sigurdsson for Palace, two good signings IMO.

It's actually a shame Norwich got relegated, cause all last season I felt a player like Sigurdsson would have been ideal to link our midfield and forwards together. And ideally it would have meant Hoolahan was on his bike.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby xgamr » Jul 17, '14, 3:11 pm

Toni Kroos to Real Madrid. interesting move to combat Suarez at Barca.

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby PorkChop » Jul 17, '14, 3:51 pm

Darren Bent looking fat as fuck :lol

Didn't stop him from getting two goals and an assist tonight though :tim

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer/Football