It is currently: May 03, '24, 10:20 am

English Football Roundtable - Week 1

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

English Football Roundtable - Week 1

Postby prophet » Oct 23, '13, 8:53 am

Alright then seeing as this never got under way last week I'll take it upon myself to start us up this week. Here's how it's going to work - I'll list the fixtures for every Premier League game and anyone that wants to play can post predictions below.

You'll get 1 point for every match you predict correctly and you'll also get an extra point if you get the score bang on. In addition to the Premier League I'm also going to include one random match each week, this could be a game from any league whether it be foreign or a lower English league. So without further adieu...

Fixtures:

Crystal Palace vs Arsenal
Norwich City vs Cardiff City
Aston Villa vs Everton
Liverpool vs West Brom
Man United vs Stoke
Southampton vs Fulham
Sunderland vs Newcastle
Chelsea vs Man City
Swansea vs West Ham
Tottenham vs Hull

Bonus Match - Barcelona vs Real Madrid.

I figure anyone can play at anytime and I won't be PM'ing, I'll just make a new thread each week. If you forget to play one week then that's on you and if anyone wants to jump in later on in the season then you're more than welcome too. I'll also be checking to see if you edit your posts - chop and change your decision during the week that's fine but all predictions are final on Saturday.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: English Football Roundtable - Week 1

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 23, '13, 10:06 am

Thanks for getting it going Prophet, will jot down predictions after the mid-week European games are over.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby Enygma » Oct 23, '13, 10:34 am

We already have a list of people playing, prophet :)

[center]Crystal Palace vs Arsenal[/center]

Coming from a unbias point of view, I think Arsenal SHOULD be too tough for Palace, and seeing as Holloway has just left, Palace could be lost without a proper manager. The only thing that Arsenal could be struggling with is confidence after their loss to Dortmund last night - WINNER: Arsenal 3-1

[center]Norwich vs Cardiff[/center]

Norwich will be wanting to prove a point after their loss to Arsenal, and at home to Cardiff will do this. I feel Norwich have to point to prove and will do it here. WINNER: Norwich 1-0

[center]Aston Villa vs Everton[/center]
Both of these teams have good strong Belgian strikers in Benteke and Lukaku, so I think the focus will be on these 2 and who is the better striker, also Villa could be knocked back after their home loss to Spurs. DRAW. 1-1

[center]Liverpool vs West Brom[/center]
Dont write off West Brom here, West Brom picked up a good 3 points against Man Utd away from home, so they could do the same here, but the 2 key strikers, Suarez and Sturridge (SaS) are on fine form and I cant see the WBA being able to stop them. WINNER: LIVERPOOL 3-1

[center]Man United vs Stoke[/center]
Its been no secret that Man Utd have been poor, they only picked up by a point from Southampton, and, as mentioned above, they lost to West Brom at home, but after last week, they will finally wake up and pick up the 3 points hereWINNER: MAN UTD 3-0

[center]Southampton vs Fulham[/center]
This, in my opinion has a draw written on it, Southampton's form will start to dip now. DRAW 0-0

[center]Sunderland vs Newcastle[/center]
I think this match will end Sunderlands misery, its a derby and anything can happen in a derby, which has been proven time and time again. WINNER: Sunderland 1-0

[center]Chelsea vs Man City[/center]
I didnt really know how to call this before I started typing, both of had bad points this season (Chelsea being losing to Everton and City being losing to Villa) I think, if Torres is in form like he was last night (he scored a hat-trick did he not?) I think Chelsea could scrape it.
WINNER: CHELSEA 2-1

[center]Swansea vs West Ham[/center]
Swansea will be on confidence with them beating Sunderland 4-0 last weekend, their good run of form will carry on here. WINNER: SWANSEA 2-0

[center]Tottenham vs Hull[/center]
How well Spurs do here will all depend on how they do tonight (they are only facing Sheriff, they should win) obviously this match will be tougher than Sheriff, but Tottenham should still be good enough for Hull. WINNER: SPURS 3-1

[center]Barcelona vs Real Madrid[/center]
I havent really been following La Liga this year, so I dont know how each of these teams are doing, I think Barca will field the stronger team on the day and will win. WINNER: BARCA 3-1

Last edited by Enygma on Oct 23, '13, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Romo for the sig.

Arrive. Dare To Zlatan. Leave.
Enygma Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 27

Postby Tom » Oct 23, '13, 10:49 am

I'm gonna bold the team that I think will win. If its a draw, I will leave it blank. I'll post the score beside the match in question.

Crystal Palace vs Arsenal 0-2
Norwich City vs Cardiff City 1-1
Aston Villa vs Everton 0-1
Liverpool vs West Brom 3-2
Man United vs Stoke 4-0
Southampton vs Fulham 1-1
Sunderland vs Newcastle 2-1
Chelsea vs Man City 1-1
Swansea vs West Ham 2-0
Tottenham vs Hull 3-0

Bonus Match - Barcelona vs Real Madrid 3-1

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 23

Postby PorkChop » Oct 23, '13, 11:23 am

Crystal Palace vs Arsenal 0-3
Norwich City vs Cardiff City 2-2
Aston Villa vs Everton 1-1
Liverpool vs West Brom 3-0
Man United vs Stoke 1-0
Southampton vs Fulham 2-1
Sunderland vs Newcastle 1-2
Chelsea vs Man City 2-1
Swansea vs West Ham 2-0
Tottenham vs Hull 3-0

Barcelona vs Real Madrid 3-2

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby HFX » Oct 23, '13, 11:59 am

Fixtures:

Crystal Palace vs Arsenal: Arsenal 5 - Crystal Palace 1
Norwich City vs Cardiff City: Cardiff City 2 - Norwich City 1
Aston Villa vs Everton: Draw Aston Villa 2 - Everton 2
Liverpool vs West Brom: Liverpool 4 - West Brom 2
Man United vs Stoke: Draw Man United 1 - Stoke 1
Southampton vs Fulham: Fulham 3 - Southampton 0
Sunderland vs Newcastle: Draw Sunderland 1 - Newcastle 1
Chelsea vs Man City: Draw Chelsea 2 - Man City 2
Swansea vs West Ham: Swansea 1 - West Ham 0
Tottenham vs Hull: Tottenham 4 - Hull 0

Bonus Match - Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Barcelona 4 - Real Madrid 3

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby Enygma » Oct 23, '13, 12:17 pm

Am I the only thats going to go in depth with an analysis? :lol

Enygma Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby prophet » Oct 23, '13, 3:37 pm

AndJusticeForAll wrote:Am I the only thats going to go in depth with an analysis? :lol

You're the only one that hasn't listed what you think the actual score will be.

We don't need a list of people playing. The way I see it anyone can play and any given time. If people want to start playing in 2 months time then that's fine - they'll just not have a chance of topping the Leaderboard but if somebody wants to do it as a bit of fun one week then that's absolutely fine in my book.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Oct 23, '13, 3:51 pm

Do we have a due date? Like Friday or something? I was planning of giving my predictions now but I am too tired to even think about any of them so just gonna do them later.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby prophet » Oct 23, '13, 3:57 pm

Viazon wrote:Do we have a due date? Like Friday or something? I was planning of giving my predictions now but I am too tired to even think about any of them so just gonna do them later.

Yeah Friday night. I'll look at everyone's predictions on Saturday morning when I wake up and make note of them - that way I can see if anyone decides to cheat after the game!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Enygma » Oct 23, '13, 4:00 pm

prophet wrote:
AndJusticeForAll wrote:Am I the only thats going to go in depth with an analysis? :lol

You're the only one that hasn't listed what you think the actual score will be.

We don't need a list of people playing. The way I see it anyone can play and any given time. If people want to start playing in 2 months time then that's fine - they'll just not have a chance of topping the Leaderboard but if somebody wants to do it as a bit of fun one week then that's absolutely fine in my book.

damn me not reading all of the OP. Its been added

Enygma Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby prophet » Oct 23, '13, 4:10 pm

Fixtures:

Crystal Palace vs Arsenal - 0-4
Norwich City vs Cardiff City - 2-0
Aston Villa vs Everton - 1-2
Liverpool vs West Brom - 1-0
Man United vs Stoke - 3-0
Southampton vs Fulham - 1-0
Sunderland vs Newcastle - 0-1
Chelsea vs Man City 2-1
Swansea vs West Ham - 2-2
Tottenham vs Hull - 3-1

Bonus Match - Barcelona vs Real Madrid - 2-2

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Oct 24, '13, 3:00 am

Fixtures

Arsenal vs. Crystal Palace - 5 - 0
Arsenal ripped apart Norwich, who themselves played very well on the day, and ran away with four goals. Palace look bereft of ideas, confidence and just lost their manager. They're lining up Pulis as his replacement which I can't say bodes well for their chances this season. In the EPL, Arsenal are looking like the in form team and I can see them further staking their claim at the top of the table with a five goal thrashing of Palace.

Norwich vs. Cardiff - 2 - 0
Norwich are coming off the back of three very good performances, yet hold two loses to their name. Carrow Road has been the place they/we pick up points and the Canaries are very hard to beat at home. The more impatient/deluded sections of the crowd wearing yellow and green have lost the plot/patience with Chris Hughton and nothing but a win will do here. I feel it's a chance for Norwich to channel those strong performances into a commanding home victory, and goals for RVW and Gary Hooper wouldn't go amiss.

Aston Villa vs. Everton - 2 - 2
This has the ability to be a very entertaining game. Villa don't look as defensively frail as they did last season, despite their manager being an absolute twat with no defensive nous in his body. That being said, they counter attack very well and could lead to this being a very end to end game. Everton have been in good form for the majority of the season thus far but I think this has draw written all over it, albeit a goalscoring one.

Liverpool vs. West Brom - 1 - 0
This one is tricky to call. Suarez and Sturridge are firing on all cylinders right now but West Brom won't make it easy for them. WBA are a good team on their day but like Norwich, haven't been banging in the goals. Can see this being a very narrow victory.

Man United vs. Stoke - 1 -1
More wishful thinking than anything. Long may the Man Utd. slump continue. At the very least until Norwich play them.

Southampton vs. Fulham - 1 - 1
A good win for Fulham earlier in the week, but Fulham are a team that can look very good one week and decidedly ordinary the next. Southampton have started very well, but like Hull, I can see their form begging to tail off, starting a rapid decline down the table.

Sunderland vs. Newcastle - 2 -1
Sunderland have looked much better over the past few weeks and results haven't quite gone their way. Given the derby day nature of a match against Newcastle, I can see it providing the spark they need to turn the tide and get some points on the board. Newcastle are much like Fulham in terms of performances week to week but I see this going a lot like last year's fixture in which Di Canio made his first impression on the Black Cats. Poyet to do the same.

Chelsea vs. Man City - 3 - 1
Could very much go either way. For some reason, I'm going with Chelsea though.

Swansea vs. West Ham - 2 - 0
Again, this is a difficult one to predict. West Ham are capable of surprising any team in the league and Swansea are the Cinderella team we all have a soft spot for ... except maybe Cardiff fans. They thrashed Sunderland last week and I can see their run of form extending to a victory over West Ham.

Tottenham vs. Hull - 2 - 1
Hull to get yet another dodgy penalty. Tottenham to overwhelm them in mid-field.

Bonus Match - Barcelona vs. Real Madrid - 1 -0
I predict more dives than goals.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Viazon » Oct 24, '13, 4:33 am

As everyone else, I will put my picks for winners in bold.

Crystal Palace vs Arsenal 1-3
Norwich City vs Cardiff City 2-1
Aston Villa vs Everton 1-1
Liverpool vs West Brom 3-0
Man United vs Stoke 1-0
Southampton vs Fulham 2-0
Sunderland vs Newcastle 0-1
Chelsea vs Man City 1-1
Swansea vs West Ham 1-0
Tottenham vs Hull 3-0

Barcelona vs Real Madrid 3-2

Last edited by Viazon on Oct 26, '13, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 24, '13, 10:44 am

Alright, first time taking part in something like this, should be good.

Crystal Palace vs Arsenal - 0-4
Norwich City vs Cardiff City - 2-0
Aston Villa vs Everton - 1-2
Liverpool vs West Brom - 3-0
Man United vs Stoke - 2-0
Southampton vs Fulham - 0-2
Sunderland vs Newcastle - 1-3
Chelsea vs Man City - 3-2
Swansea vs West Ham - 2-2
Tottenham vs Hull - 3-0

Bonus Match - Barcelona vs Real Madrid. - 2-1

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 24, '13, 11:18 am

Crystal Palace 0-4 Arsenal
Norwich City 2-1 Cardiff City
Aston Villa 2-2 Everton
Liverpool 3-1 West Brom
Man United 2-0 Stoke
Southampton 1-0 Fulham
Sunderland 1-1 Newcastle
Chelsea 1-0 Man City
Swansea 0-0 West Ham
Tottenham 4-0 Hull

Barcelona 3-1 Real Madrid

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SKS » Oct 25, '13, 11:04 pm

Crystal Palace vs Arsenal 3-0
Norwich City vs Cardiff City 2-1
Aston Villa vs Everton DRAW 1-1
Liverpool vs West Brom 2-0
Man United vs Stoke DRAW 2-2
Southampton vs Fulham DRAW 1-1
Sunderland vs Newcastle DRAW 0-0
Chelsea vs Man City 3-1
Swansea vs West Ham 2-0
Tottenham vs Hull 3-0

Bonus Match - Barcelona vs Real Madrid 3-2

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Viazon » Oct 26, '13, 4:32 am

Seeing as these are my picks, I figured I might as well go and put an accumulator on.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby prophet » Oct 28, '13, 12:39 pm

aaaaaaand that's a wrap on week 1! here's the leaderboard so far - I'll post the next round of games tomorrow.

Tom - 10
PorkChop - 9
Prophet - 9
AkyDefGoldberg - 9
SlightlyJames - 8
Enygma - 8
Daz - 7
Viazon - 7
HFX - 4
SKS - 3

Last edited by prophet on Oct 28, '13, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby HFX » Oct 28, '13, 12:43 pm

Suck it SKS, I did better than you :tim

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Next

Return to Soccer/Football