It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:33 pm

World Cup Discussion Thread

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 09, '18, 3:17 am

Only Belgium, led by big Kaks, could stop England. Seriously if we don't get a Bank Holiday for the 15th then Theresa May is an even more miserable, joyless sod than I ever thought. Odd for a politician not to want to take advantage of sport at a time when they have shown - with the resignation of David Davis and the potential implosion of May's government - that they have no fucking clue on things.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 10, '18, 10:38 am

France v Belgium tonight - hopefully it's a semi-final befitting of the quality of players that are involved

P.S it's still coming home though..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Postby Viazon » Jul 11, '18, 1:55 pm

Have you ever watched an England game in a pub in Scotland? It’s interesting. And scary.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Everlong » Jul 11, '18, 8:55 pm

Tough loss for England today. Was cheering for them given how many of you Brits I know were probably pretty invested. Still, semis are nothing to sneeze at.

Croatia's got a whole lot of toughness. Would like to see them beat France for it all.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Jul 12, '18, 2:05 am

I couldn't give less of a shit about the football, but I still really want Croatia to win the final. I would have been fine with England winning the whole thing, but France winning would just be dull after all the other 'good' teams got knocked out early. Go Croatia!

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby PorkChop » Jul 12, '18, 4:28 am

Really disappointing to lose yesterday, I was enjoying the wild ride. It's been great while it lasted though, and it's good to see some national pride restored in the team. It's nice to not feel ashamed after a big tournament :lol

I thought that we could've won yesterday as well, but didn't play anywhere near the level I know we can. The players looked tired, mentally and physically, and Kane was non-existent after about 30 minutes. France would've done us over in the final anyway, but it still hurts.

I hope to see Croatia go on and win it. France are the better team and should win, but an underdog victory and a new name in the history books would be great. This has been a great tournament with many unexpected outcomes, and a Croatia win would be a fitting ending.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 12, '18, 5:03 am

As much as the journey has been fantastic and enjoyable, to see the newfound connection between the team and fans, on a different day I think many involved in the England set-up will rue the chance of not being able to make it, at least, to a final which would have been a psychological boost going forward in other tournaments.

They started energetically and deserved to be 1-0 up but those chances missed in the first half could have killed the game and by that time Croatia had got their mojo back and were in control after that point, but also the line that they would fatigue having played in two 120 min matches plus penalties before yesterday proved incorrect as they were in control of their energy levels and stamina whilst England faltered.

Southgate, tactically, didn't try to stop Croatia and the substitution of Sterling was too early especially as Rashford was so ineffective. Modric is such a fucking beautiful player to watch, never get bored seeing him grace his talents on a pitch, Rakitic was influential as the game wore on plus Mandzukic was a menace until the end.

Final will be a dull affair, for all the exceptional talent on show, France play defensively (very well, I must add) and Croatia will try to work the ball around their defensive structure so may be another 120min match.

Croatia winning it would be amazing, and would surely help Modric's case to break the duopoly of Messi and Ronaldo on the Balon D'Or. But Pogba, Mbappe, Varane have played consistently well at the tournament so it would be fitting for their efforts also.

For England, they've got a base to build on for the Euros 2020 which the final is being held in England and for the WC in 2022 (held in Qatar), and Southgate's created a new relationship with the fans that could endure, but maybe need to identify other options on the bench that could help (someone who can navigate the ball in the middle of the park, perhaps)

But this World Cup has been awesome, will miss it when it's finished :clap

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 16, '18, 5:13 am

Not sure I'll get used to no football of daily matches..

But not long until the season starts in around three weeks!

It was a fun, enjoyable World Cup without being one of THE best but it's one I'll remember definitely compared to the last few WCs

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Previous

Return to Soccer/Football