It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 3:23 am

Get your World Cup team out

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Get your World Cup team out

Postby PorkChop » Oct 09, '17, 11:35 am

Southgate would never dream of playing this formation though.

Make yours here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41483442

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Get your World Cup team out

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 09, '17, 12:37 pm

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Oct 09, '17, 1:00 pm

^ Should've selected 11 Barry Bannans. Guaranteed World Cup win.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Oct 09, '17, 3:14 pm

Question from someone who only really pays attention to soccer during world cup season... is the US in it? If so, are they expected to be alright?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby PorkChop » Oct 10, '17, 2:35 am

Everlong wrote:Question from someone who only really pays attention to soccer during world cup season... is the US in it? If so, are they expected to be alright?

The US still have to qualify. They still need to beat Trinidad and Tobago today to officially qualify, although a draw would suffice depending on other results. It's expected that they will qualify though - T&T are pretty terrible.

I don't think anyone realistically has high hopes for the US in the tournament, so it would be considered a success if they basically put on a good show and made a good account of themselves. I remember in the last World Cup nobody expected the US to make it out of the group stage due to being drawn with Germany, Portugal and Ghana, but they managed to edge through. I think if the US make it out of the group stage this time, especially if given another difficult group, it would be considered a success.

Any further progression after that such as the quarter-finals would be a fantastic achievement and a huge statement about how far the sport has come in the United States.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby prophet » Oct 10, '17, 8:22 am

I love being English. Going unbeaten through qualifying with entirely uninspiring performances, getting hyped for the tournament because cup football is class then being surprised when we get knocked out and do absolutely nothing.

At this point Southgate would be better binning off the tried and tested players that do fuck all (Henderson, Sterling etc) and bring in the lads he knows well and might actually do a bit better. Bring in players like Redmond, Solanke and Demarai Gray that might provide a bit of fun alongside the Kane's and Rashford's.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Oct 10, '17, 10:43 am

Redmond is absolutely terrible. Watching him is like playing a game of FIFA against someone who has boosted all of Redmond's stats to the maximum, but doesn't know the controls.

Redmond then runs at blistering pace straight into opposing players, hammers the ball into row Z 5 times a game, and hits crosses with the force of a thousand suns which go straight out for opposition throw ins.

He pops up with a screamer once or twice a season, but aside from that he's shite. I'd rather have Andros Townsend over Redmond, but even he wouldn't make the top 10 candidates for his position. I know blokes down at five a side who I'd consider starting over Redmond.

The banter will be quality after this tournament once when we crash out to Iceland again and appoint Tim Sherwood. Can't wait.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 10, '17, 12:02 pm

PorkChop wrote:Image

Southgate would never dream of playing this formation though.

Make yours here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41483442
http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/england-xi-b1026f88ff07ceb99e0600d740ed8112.html

I'd go with Porky's team with two changes: I don't see Rose making an instant return to the Spurs side after injury with Davies playing so well atm so predict Gareth will go for Bertrand. Lallana, when fit, offers more than Sterling in all aspects but not as exciting and if it turns out to be a defensive tournament, Lallana will be relied upon to help defensively.

@Everlong - US team has promising young players who are making an impression in Germany, namely Pulisic and another American for Schalke (McKennie) who is doing well so Pulisic will be one to watch.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Oct 10, '17, 11:58 pm

USA lost to Trinidad and Tobago and have been eliminated from World Cup qualification.

Terrible news. This World Cup would've been huge for the profile of the sport in the US and it's a shame that they didn't make it through. I just hope this will spur on some positive change as it's a disgrace that they didn't qualify to be honest, especially after losing to Trinidad and Tobago, who are ranked 99th in the world, were already eliminated and had nothing to play for.

Sack all of them apart from Yedlin and Pulisic and start over. Disgraceful.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Oct 11, '17, 1:40 am

PorkChop wrote:Redmond is absolutely terrible. Watching him is like playing a game of FIFA against someone who has boosted all of Redmond's stats to the maximum, but doesn't know the controls.

Redmond then runs at blistering pace straight into opposing players, hammers the ball into row Z 5 times a game, and hits crosses with the force of a thousand suns which go straight out for opposition throw ins.

He pops up with a screamer once or twice a season, but aside from that he's shite. I'd rather have Andros Townsend over Redmond, but even he wouldn't make the top 10 candidates for his position. I know blokes down at five a side who I'd consider starting over Redmond.

The banter will be quality after this tournament once when we crash out to Iceland again and appoint Tim Sherwood. Can't wait.

Redmond is so frustrating. He has zero end product, especially when it comes to crossing, and sometimes his decision making is appalling. So many times when he was at Norwich, he'd have the beating of the opposition's fullbacks all day long, but time after time he'd try to cut inside and lose possession. Just take the fucking man on, you could get round him every fucking time if you wanted to. That being said, his crossing is shite, so what happens once he does beat his man is anyone's guess.

I think he was actually starting to improve those parts of his game his last season with us. His confidence was through the roof at the end of our promotion season and at the start of the premier league season. Then Alex Neil dropped him for a run of games inexplicably and he never recovered. Seems to have taken two giant steps back since moving to Southampton too.

I expect the same to happen to the Murphy twins to be honest. They have a lot of Redmond's bad qualities, even though I'd say they're both better/more natural finishers than Redmond. Can't help but think Jacob fucked his own development by moving to Newcastle where he won't get much game time.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby prophet » Oct 11, '17, 1:43 am

Looooool just woke up to see the US lost to Trinidad and Tobago.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Oct 11, '17, 2:11 am

This could either be great or devastating for the USA. Just as the sport was gaining momentum and some half-decent players were coming through the ranks, they get dumped out in quite an embarrassing fashion. This will either lead to a complete overhaul of the sport in the country, or it will lose almost all momentum and USA will continue to be shit.

It's a sad state that a country with 300 million people is getting knocked out of World Cup qualifiers by 99th place Trinidad and Tobago. Iceland have a population of only about 350K and they've assembled a solid team.

With the right management and investment in the sport, the USA could potentially be a good team 20 years down the line. If they ever want to be more than fringe-players on the global stage, the time to act is now.

I think one of the most important things they could do, aside from investing in training facilities across the country, is instating promotion and relegation to the MLS. I don't know why they don't follow the blueprint of successful league systems.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 11, '17, 5:21 am

It was only Monday where I listened to a podcast where a US soccer journalist, without being overly arrogant, seemed confident they would beat TT and get through so he'll be depressed on hearing the result today.

What's worrying for US development is reading the cost that's applied for participation in soccer that I wasn't aware of. It's a big blow for players like Pulisic and McKennie not being able to further their development on a major stage.

It's fairly typical that they don't qualify for a WC in embarrassing fashion with Trump at the helm of the country.

Also, Messi just sorts shit out himself if his useless team-mates can't do the job of putting the ball into the net. WC needs Ronaldo and Messi to be there.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Oct 11, '17, 6:50 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:It's a big blow for players like Pulisic and McKennie not being able to further their development on a major stage.

I wonder whether Pulisic regrets not choosing Croatia at a time like this. It'll be at least 5 years before he's able to play at a World Cup - and that's providing that USA qualify next time around.

Thankfully by the next World Cup the USA should've binned Howard, Altidore, Bradley and the rest of the shite.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Oct 11, '17, 7:52 am

PorkChop wrote:This could either be great or devastating for the USA. Just as the sport was gaining momentum and some half-decent players were coming through the ranks, they get dumped out in quite an embarrassing fashion. This will either lead to a complete overhaul of the sport in the country, or it will lose almost all momentum and USA will continue to be shit.

Unfortunately I think it's probably close to the latter. We really needed a showing in the World Cup if we were going to continue to build the momentum of the sport on a major scale. That growth will still continue, but now much more slowly than if we had the world cup to get invested in.

What a fucking disappointment. How do you lose to Trinidad and Tobago??

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby PorkChop » Oct 11, '17, 8:27 am

It is really disappointing that this could hamper the development of football in the US. Despite all the banter between USA and the rest of the world, I think everyone secretly wants America to embrace the sport.

I'm sure that in a generation's time, the USA could put together quite a decent team. It's just a shame that it will take that long.

The MLS needs to legitimise itself and implement a promotion / relegation system. That's what all successful leagues do, but the MLS refuses to for some fairly nonsensical reasons. I'd wager that the lack of promotion and relegation has had a bigger impact on the development of the sport than USSF realise.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Oct 11, '17, 10:50 am

I've just read that the population of Harlem alone is higher than the whole of Iceland, who have managed to qualify for the World Cup with a half decent squad.

Granted, football is more popular in Iceland than it is in the US - but it goes to show that the US could definitely be a huge force on the international stage one day if they wanted to be.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Oct 11, '17, 10:56 am

PorkChop wrote:I've just read that the population of Harlem alone is higher than the whole of Iceland, who have managed to qualify for the World Cup with a half decent squad.

Granted, football is more popular in Iceland than it is in the US - but it goes to show that the US could definitely be a huge force on the international stage one day if they wanted to be.

Yeah it's hard to know what the issue is here. There is certainly the talent available in this country right now. I just have to feel (without a ton of knowledge, mind you) that the entire team has been completely mismanaged.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 11, '17, 10:59 am

PorkChop wrote:I've just read that the population of Harlem alone is higher than the whole of Iceland, who have managed to qualify for the World Cup with a half decent squad.

Meanwhile Gordon Strachan is covering his arse by talking about "genetics" and how our players are too physically small for us to compete, despite the fact he's wee fella himself and that didn't do much to hurt his own playing career. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby The Legend » Oct 11, '17, 11:05 am

For the US to be better at soccer we need more investment. In order to justify more investment, we need to be better at soccer. It's a Catch-22 that doesn't really have a way out.

The reality is this. If you are an elite athlete in the US and want to make a living as an athlete, you go where the money is. Our best athletes play NFL football, basketball and baseball, because that's where the money is and where they can actually make a real living at. Soccer is mostly an amateur sport in the US.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Next

Return to Soccer/Football