It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 1:10 pm

Get your World Cup team out

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Get your World Cup team out

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 17, '18, 6:16 am

It's a decent squad tbh: good that Southgate has showed his ruthlessness and axing Hart and rejecting the call for Shelvey to be called up. With Ox out, thought Wilshere may sneak a call-up but tbh considering he was called up for the last squad in March, and then had to pull out, wasn't a good omen. Welbeck's inclusion seems to be based on his international career rather than club form and add flexibility if needed.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » May 17, '18, 11:06 am

Welbeck is shite and has been for years. He's a joke of an inclusion.

It's a half decent squad, but on paper is probably one of (if not the) weakest England squad I've seen in my lifetime

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 18, '18, 4:12 am

Inexperienced on the whole yes but I'm mildly optimistic as Southgate has axed Wilshere and Hart (who are both salty about so that's good to see) and I think they'll do better than their last major tournament.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 11, '18, 6:14 am

World Cup starts Thursday - about time. But saying that, if anyone didn't watch the excellent documentaries on the History Channel over the last few weeks, you missed out. Really interesting films on a wide range of topics from past WC's.

Anyways, luckily I'm off Monday to watch En-Ger-Land and looking forward to the tournament. Hope the group stages aren't dreary and that it's not like the Euros where teams pretty much set-up to defend.

I'm going for Spain.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Jun 11, '18, 11:46 am

With the United States being out, I'm not sure who to root for. I'm thinking Germany since that's where my ancestry lies and cus they're historically fun to watch, but I'm willing to accept other arguments!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 11, '18, 1:25 pm

Germany, World Champions and the reigning, and defending.. no, no that's Paul Heyman's gig.

Not a bad pick, they're in decent shape and have a fantastic squad of players. They could afford to leave out a player in Leroy Sane, who had an excellent season in England, out of the squad so they'll be favourites to retain their crown.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Previous

Return to Soccer/Football