It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:48 pm

2017/18 Football Season Thread

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: 2017/18 Football Season Thread

Postby prophet » Oct 15, '17, 1:14 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:Scotlanded it

:lol

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Oct 18, '17, 3:23 am

Big Sam is interested in taking over the USA national team.

If he gets appointed, he'll just be known as "Sam".

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby PorkChop » Oct 20, '17, 8:04 am

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 26, '17, 8:40 am

Pedro finally getting the boot. I liked the guy a lot but I can't pretend that this isn't the right call. The team is consistently under performing and he's not been showing any signs of turning it around. In his time at the club he failed to ever win 3 consecutive games, which is pretty bloody ridiculous.

Not a scooby who the board will bring in to replace him, in the meantime it's back to headstand land with Graeme Murty.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Oct 26, '17, 9:33 am

SlightlyJames wrote:Pedro finally getting the boot. I liked the guy a lot but I can't pretend that this isn't the right call. The team is consistently under performing and he's not been showing any signs of turning it around. In his time at the club he failed to ever win 3 consecutive games, which is pretty bloody ridiculous.

Not a scooby who the board will bring in to replace him, in the meantime it's back to headstand land with Graeme Murty.

:jimross

BAH GAWD! THAT'S DAVID MOYES' MUSIC!

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 26, '17, 11:06 am

PorkChop wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:Pedro finally getting the boot. I liked the guy a lot but I can't pretend that this isn't the right call. The team is consistently under performing and he's not been showing any signs of turning it around. In his time at the club he failed to ever win 3 consecutive games, which is pretty bloody ridiculous.

:jimross

BAH GAWD! THAT'S DAVID MOYES' MUSIC!

I doubt we could get him tbh. I'd certainly say he's a better option than some of the shite I've been hearing other folk suggest.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 27, '17, 3:41 am

Rangers are in fourth place, back in the main division after working their way up, were the Board expecting more or was there strife behind the scenes?

He was certainly belligerent in his words at times, and not shy to stoke things up from what I read but sadly, couldn't be backed up.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 05, '17, 10:15 am

From the sounds of it Rangers may have approached Steve McClaren after getting turned down by Derek McInnes.

Oh dear.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 07, '17, 3:29 am

Big Sam at Everton (it seems)
Moyes at West Ham

Who said British coaching was dead?

Oh yes, it was Big Sam who alluded to it last week about British coaching then is all too happy to - potentially - block Dyche's Everton opportunity for himself.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 02, '17, 7:42 am

So from the sounds of it, current Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes is set to be announced as Rangers manager on Monday. We played Aberdeen in midweek and we're playing them again on Sunday. This is so stupid.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 02, '17, 2:56 pm

^I thought he'd said he was happy to stay?

We win brilliantly at Arsenal thanks to Lingard, Martial and De Gea's consistent brilliance in goal yet lose Pogba for the derby. The game when we needed his technical ability and bravery on the ball, completely changes the mindset for the match.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Dec 05, '17, 1:54 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:^I thought he'd said he was happy to stay?

We win brilliantly at Arsenal thanks to Lingard, Martial and De Gea's consistent brilliance in goal yet lose Pogba for the derby. The game when we needed his technical ability and bravery on the ball, completely changes the mindset for the match.

Pogba deserves a ban for his haircut, imo. De Gea too.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 06, '17, 6:11 am

PorkChop wrote:
AkydefGoldberg wrote:^I thought he'd said he was happy to stay?

Pogba deserves a ban for his haircut, imo. De Gea too.

It's standard for Pogba. I'd be inclined to agree with you on the latter..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 07, '17, 11:56 am

So, as an update to this clown fiesta, from the sounds of it Derek McInnes has been the board's preferred target for the past six weeks since Pedro got fired. For whatever reason they felt that Graeme Murty (our U20s Manager) would be able to handle the team while they sat on their hands and figured out whatever was stopping them from making their approach.

During these six weeks, Graeme Murty's Rangers have lost back to back games against some of the bottom feeder teams in the league, and then also beat Aberdeen (McInnes' current club) twice in a week to move into second place. Apparently Derek's team crumpling two games in a row against us was enough for the board to decide that this was their man and they finally approached Aberdeen to speak with him.

He turned us down.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Dec 13, '17, 2:09 pm

@AkydefGoldberg thoughts on the Manchester derby?

This Man City team may be THE best team the Premier League has ever seen Imo.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 14, '17, 2:47 pm

PorkChop wrote:@AkydefGoldberg thoughts on the Manchester derby?

This Man City team may be THE best team the Premier League has ever seen Imo.

Mourinho's deflection interview hides that despite on paper, United having a front four that should show more attacking penetration, it regressed to a standard big game performance by a Jose side. They didn't press collectively and as the first half wore on, it was attack v defence. Lukaku's had a 'mare of a game and the pressure is on him. Not sure Rashford on the left and Martial on the other side worked and both looked threatening when they swapped..

Ultimately, the league is City's to lose. If they handle the Xmas period without dropping points and/or extending their lead, and if United get a favourable CL draw, he will prioritize that over the league.

It's early days to be describing City as THE team that has ever been seen, a league title in dominating fashion either by beating the Chelsea points target or going unbeaten (ffs, it'll be worse than Arsenal fans and the Invincibles) will do that. They look formidable atm and that's with a defence comprising of Otamendi and Delph and a midfield of Fernandinho, Silva and KDB. Latter two aren't midfielders in the truest descriptions.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Mar 12, '18, 8:42 am

Looks like Jamie Carragher will be hanging out with Andy Gray and Richard Keys now.

Shame. Him and Neville were great on MNF.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 14, '18, 5:34 am

The guy who is driving and using his phone hardly comes out of it highly and I'd say he was the target of Carragher's saliva rather than his daughter who he may not have seen in the passenger seat but it can't be defended. Tbf to him he's been very apologetic and even had a grilling on Sky News more appropriate for a politician and seemed excessive to the 'crime' he's committed.

I'd be very surprised if this ended up with him getting sacked. Part of the Sky interview was damage limitation. He's not on MNF and it's international break for a few weeks but even with that in mind it may be a little while before he's back. Especially if - and it would be ludicrous - if it went down a criminal route if anyone put a complaint in. Odd how Sky suspended Carragher yet Kirsty Gallacher was barely off screen for her drink drive conviction (yes different profiles but to not be internally punished is not a fair process)

He's been suspended till the end of the season - expected him to be off-screen for a while and even though it's headline news because it's the end of the season but in reality, it's two months. He'll be back besides some unneeded criminal intervention.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Mar 28, '18, 2:36 pm

Gabby Agbonlahor is set to leave Villa after 17 years at the club. About time, too.

It's kind of sad how his career has ended. He had a big part to play in one of the best eras in the club's recent history. He had a devastating partnership with John Carew and Ashley Young which scared every defence in the country, became our Premier League record goalscorer and always seemed to score against Birmingham. I remember him netting a hat trick in 8 minutes against Man City too.

On the other hand, he's stolen a living off the club for the past 5 years. He's been picking up 60K a week while underperforming massively - if playing at all - refusing to go out on loan, and was sent to fat camp twice in one season. The final straw was him being pictured partying the night we got relegated, which for a boyhood Villa fan and club captain, is disgraceful.

I remember him making his debut. He was fast as fuck and so exciting. Allegedly, Arsenal were willing to pay 16 million for him around 2008, which is probably around 30 million now. If only it was 2008 forever.

I feel sad to say it, but I'm glad he's allegedly leaving. He's probably the most disappointing player to wear a Villa shirt in my lifetime. I'll be happy to see the back of him.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby PorkChop » Apr 29, '18, 2:36 am

It bothers me that Everton fans are shitting on Big Sam. He may not play the most attractive football, but he's taken them from odds-on relegation candidates to 8th place. Before he joined, people were comparing Everton to the woeful 2015/16 Villa team who finished 20th after winning only 3 games all season.

Big Sam has won them 33 points in 22 games, which is the fifth best points tally in the league, behind City, Liverpool, Spurs, United and Chelsea. He also signed Cenk Tosun and Theo Walcott in January, both of which have done reasonably well and scored several winning goals.

I'm no Big Sam lover, but it seems Everton fans would prefer to finish 15th next year and have their best players abandon ship, as long as it means that Allardyce isn't there. They also keep fawning over Marco Silva, who was sacked from Watford after taking them to the relegation zone. I don't understand.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer/Football